Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pike
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Spurs last night and had a blast. I had a thought for a variant, but its very rough and if anyone has any thoughts to add to this or help refine it, please let me know. It involves a possible shootout element with ALL players and I think it could be pretty cool (but again, its only in the very rough stage of planning right now). This is what I have:

1. When a stagecoach delivery event card is drawn, it is placed in the town in question as normal. But it also triggers a separate event - that essentially forces all players to decide if they want to 1) Rob the bank; 2) Defend the bank or 3) Not become involved. Each player chooses a bullet from their bag, conceals it in their hand and everyone holds their fist in the center and reveals their hand at the same time. If they have a grey bullet, they will be defending the bank, if they reveal a brown bullet they will be robbing they bank, and if their hand is empty, they will be sitting the event out (not defending or robbing).

The next part could be handled in a number of ways, but one way would be for a large duel (involving "teams"), and the "Draw" process is started as normal by one of the defending players reaching for his bag (after players have specified what gun they are using). Everyone involved in the shootout begins drawing from their bag until someone shoots a member of the opposing team (when they "fire" they call a players name on the other team as the victim). That player takes a wound and is out. I guess that the players would then reset and keep going until only one side remains. The surviving members then get their reward - if the "Bad guys" win, they split the entirety of the bank money as equally as possible, they would also get a fame point and a wanted token. If the good guys win, they get half the money from the bank to split (fo their good deed of protecting it) but also get 2 fame points. If one side is unopposed (all players choose to rob or all players choose to defend), I suppose that they would collect the money for their side unopposed, but no fame points would be awarded since there was no shootout.

Something has to trigger this situation so I chose the stagecoach cards, and thematically, I think of it as the money from the bank being out in a stagecoach for transfer, giving the players the chance to rob/defend the coach carrying the bank's money. We might have to tinker with a bit but I think it might add a couple of cool concepts including the chance for multiple players to be involved in a "shootout". Please let me know what you think and how this could be improved. Thanks for a great game!

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool sounding idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of the "Stagecoach" event in doomtown, which activated an out-of-turn shootout opportunity to try to rob it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.