Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: How to get into this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
So I've read many many things regarding this game, and am on the fence about one thing.

Should I bother with season 1?

After reading everything, that I have, the only issue I have with the game is that there is player elimination in season 1.

What would you guys do?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
So I've read many many things regarding this game, and am on the fence about one thing.

Should I bother with season 1?

After reading everything, that I have, the only issue I have with the game is that there is player elimination in season 1.

What would you guys do?


If you don't want player elimination there is 4 choices.

1. Buy Season 1 and Toxic City Mall. (TCM comes with the Zombivors for Season 1)
2. Buy Season 2
3. Jump in on Season 3 Kickstater to get TONS of extras (But you'll have to wait for delivery)
4. Buy a different game.

I have Everything (minus the S1 promos) that has been made and am in the current kickstarter. It's a terribly fun game and you won't be disappointed when playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
season 1 is the most simple but effective part of the game.
it has nice mapboard tiles as well that help to give good mapboard configurations.
it also has the most missions designed for it when including the free missions online.
the other seasons add more variety, more difficulty but also more options to make it easier for the survivors, as such you will have to check a bit on how to keep it balanced overall when adding some options.

player elimination is the gauge of winning or losing the game, its necessarily included in all seasons.
its only when using the zombivor ressurection rule from season 2 that you greatly extend the life of a survivor, making it much more difficult to lose.
its best used with options that make the game more difficult for balance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Season 1 is the best. Lots of scenarios, simpler gameplay. Season 2 and Toxic city mall for me makes the game fiddly. I have them but barely touch them. As for Season 3, well, since the kickstarter is running right now, I guess you should back it. The promos are going to be worth more than what you pay for it, so if you decide to sell them later on, you will keep the games for free.

But if you would like to try it, I will soon do a game with the game night kit #1, but it will probably be after the kickstarter
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player elimination is a basic rule of life: nobody gets out of here alive. There is no reason you can't use the zombivor rules with S1. Just continue to use the same mini, but treat it as a zombivor. You can get the zombivor character cards on the GG website.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
051276 wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
So I've read many many things regarding this game, and am on the fence about one thing.

Should I bother with season 1?

After reading everything, that I have, the only issue I have with the game is that there is player elimination in season 1.

What would you guys do?


1. Buy Season 1 and Toxic City Mall. (TCM comes with the Zombivors for Season 1)


This was actually quite helpful, I didn't know that the Zombivors were included.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Barber
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into this game with Season 2 and a map tile kit for Season 1. Gives you zombivors, all the season 1 maps, plus you get the addition of berserker zombies for a little variety. Also works out a little cheaper than S1 and Toxic City Mall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't skip season 1. It is the game. The rest of it gets fiddly. I have everything and still season 1 is the most fun for me.

If you are worried about player elimination just let people get a new character when they die, it's all for fun anyways so if that is what is fun let that be how they play. Or do what I do: when playing with new players I either say go ahead and use zombivor rules, or I let them play as two characters to start off and if one dies oh well, they have a second and will take better care of it. Whatever makes the game fun.

But season 1 is the best part of this game, don't skip it or you may miss out on what makes this game great. Start with season 1, if you like it add TCM. Or just get them both upfront first. Like I said I own it all and unless I am playing with people who have played a lot we pretty much only use season 1 or toxic city mall. The game is so simple and fun with just season 1. Just my two cents though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to jump into this and just went with the Season 3 leaving me with no hobby money for a while to buy anything to play now. Thus I'm going to try my luck via the trade route in the next math trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for season 3 as you will get a ton of promos and freebies with the kickstarter... then I'd follow the previous advice:

Season 1, then TCM, then PO/dogs. This way you can get a steady foundation from playing the core game and add on the extras one at a time. The game is a blast once you have everything!

If you have free cash after that... I'd buy promos off ebay. You can find some for fairly cheap if you keep your eyes open for deals. They are not needed but give one more options (and the parody thing is awesome)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can each Season be played standalone? For example, can you play with S3 and nothing else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
Can each Season be played standalone? For example, can you play with S3 and nothing else?


Season 2 and Season 3 both consisted of one standalone game and one expansion.

The Season 2 standalone is Zombicide: Prison Outbreak and the Season 3 standalone is Zombicide: Rue Morgue.

The Season 2 expansion is Zombicide: Toxic City Mall adds toxic zombies, zombivors for the Season 1 heroes and mall themed tiles.

The Season 3 expansion is Zombicide: Angry Neighbors and includes friendly npcs and pvp rules (IIRC).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
sygyzy wrote:
Can each Season be played standalone? For example, can you play with S3 and nothing else?


Season 2 and Season 3 both consisted of one standalone game and one expansion.

The Season 2 standalone is Zombicide: Prison Outbreak and the Season 3 standalone is Zombicide: Rue Morgue.

The Season 2 expansion is Zombicide: Toxic City Mall adds toxic zombies, zombivors for the Season 1 heroes and mall themed tiles.

The Season 3 expansion is Zombicide: Angry Neighbors and includes friendly npcs and pvp rules (IIRC).
To be clear, "Season 3" refers only to the third base game, Rue Morgue. The expansions (Toxic City Mall and Angry Neighbors) may be applied to any or all of the base sets, and are not considered part of a season.

Confusion may arise because the expansions are produced at the same time as the Seasons. For clarification, refer to the box art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks for writing that up Paul H! And thanks for the clarification Mr. Cooper! So for example, I can get S1 then when I want something fresh, add Toxic City Mall?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
Wow thanks for writing that up Paul H! And thanks for the clarification Mr. Cooper! So for example, I can get S1 then when I want something fresh, add Toxic City Mall?
that's exactly what I would do if I were you. TCM give you the zombivors, toxic zombies, and a cool 1st player marker (which, heaven help me, I love that little skull!).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squaty wrote:
that's exactly what I would do if I were you. TCM give you the zombivors, toxic zombies, and a cool 1st player marker (which, heaven help me, I love that little skull!).



One more question - what is this talk about zombies being missing, aka "ext ra activations?" If S1 was a self-contained game, why would I come across a scenario where I am punished for not having bought optional sets/expansions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:

One more question - what is this talk about zombies being missing, aka "ext ra activations?" If S1 was a self-contained game, why would I come across a scenario where I am punished for not having bought optional sets/expansions?


The game is self-contained, and nothing is missing. Extra activations are one of the deadlier aspects of the game, and they occur when you run out of zombies. Many people have extra zombies for one reason or another (multiple seasons, they backed the Kickstarter, etc), which can forestall the danger of these extra activations. (Often, letting zombies build up to the point where you'd be dipping into the extras means you're in trouble anyway, but that's a different topic.) So you're not being penalized for not having them--you make the game easier by having more. I think the game is pretty well-balanced with just the zombies from the box.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ron, that Zombicide is a complete game. However, with any game of this nature there is an "I want more" aspect. You've done the 10 scenarios in the book (some of several times), you want more scenarios. You don't like the extra action rules - you want more zombies (or you can do what we did in when we first got the game and create a house-rule when we were playing with younger players - the rule book encourages this). However many zombies or survivors they put in, somebody is going to say "there should be more".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
[
The game is self-contained, and nothing is missing. Extra activations are one of the deadlier aspects of the game, and they occur when you run out of zombies. Many people have extra zombies for one reason or another (multiple seasons, they backed the Kickstarter, etc), which can forestall the danger of these extra activations. (Often, letting zombies build up to the point where you'd be dipping into the extras means you're in trouble anyway, but that's a different topic.) So you're not being penalized for not having them--you make the game easier by having more. I think the game is pretty well-balanced with just the zombies from the box.


I see, thanks for the explanation. But I am curious, if S1 has a scenarios where you might run out of zombie figures and as a result, you have to take some sort of penalty, isn't it cheating by buying more zombies? At that point, couldn't you also just tear up scraps of paper and say they represent zombies, and not take the extra activations?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that, by the time you run out of miniatures, the game's close to ending. zombie

One amusing variant you could use is that, if you run out of miniatures, the minatures receive an extra activation *and* you add tokens representing additional zombies. Zombicide is pretty flexible in letting you fiddle with the difficulty levels!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Avatar
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
I hear that, by the time you run out of miniatures, the game's close to ending. zombie


Well, sometimes. It's more than possible to run out of miniatures and still be relatively early in the game with enough time to save the situation. All it takes is losing focus on crowd control (of course it can be difficult to regain control once extra activations do start kicking in). Balance is one of the big factors of the game that makes it fun - you want to kill enough zombies to keep the threat of activations at bay, but you don't want to focus solely on that at the expense of objectives (or at the expense of trigger a survivor into red and a huge horde arriving).

I've played it both with the minimum number of zombies required and with so many spares that I never had to worry about running out, and honestly I like both for different reasons. Having a near unlimited supply of zombies might seem like it would make the game much easier, but really that's only true in the mid game and only for certain scenarios (or if the survivors aren't dawdling in completing the scenario) - once you reach 80+ of them on the board it suddenly doesn't feel like it so much laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:

I see, thanks for the explanation. But I am curious, if S1 has a scenarios where you might run out of zombie figures and as a result, you have to take some sort of penalty, isn't it cheating by buying more zombies? At that point, couldn't you also just tear up scraps of paper and say they represent zombies, and not take the extra activations?



That's definitely one way of thinking about it, and one that some people expressed when the game came out. I don't hear people saying it much any more, though.

I think it's worth noting that, while I like the rules, the playing Zombicide never leaves you thinking, "oh, that's a tightly-designed game." I'm not saying that as a criticism. The fact is that the answer to a lot of questions about the game (can I add in more zombies? can I combine search decks? do survivors start with dogs?), the answer that the game provides is a shrug and, "sure, why not?" I think it's great for the casual, fun atmosphere in which I play the game, but people looking for an experience that's uniform and consistent across play sessions may be dissatisfied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:

That's definitely one way of thinking about it, and one that some people expressed when the game came out. I don't hear people saying it much any more, though.

I think it's worth noting that, while I like the rules, the playing Zombicide never leaves you thinking, "oh, that's a tightly-designed game." I'm not saying that as a criticism. The fact is that the answer to a lot of questions about the game (can I add in more zombies? can I combine search decks? do survivors start with dogs?), the answer that the game provides is a shrug and, "sure, why not?" I think it's great for the casual, fun atmosphere in which I play the game, but people looking for an experience that's uniform and consistent across play sessions may be dissatisfied.


Thanks for replying. I am not a super stickler for rules but I don't really like to just make things up either. I think, for this game, it's going to take me a few weeks/months of telling myself to relax and just have fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
I think, for this game, it's going to take me a few weeks/months of telling myself to relax and just have fun.


This should be the motto for all games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.