Hide
10 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Removing a single card. Secretly. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Newton
msg tools
My sister and brother in law often play Munchkin with us. My BIL has a history of winning with the divine intervention card. A few days ago, when planning their last game night with us before they move to NYC, my sister asks if we can remove the Divine Intervention card from the game. Immediately I say YES! I tell my wife, she immediately says, YES!

So I make sure it's pulled before they arrive. The game stretches out a little long and we shuffle the door deck.

My BIL says, hey, have we seen the Divine Intervention card? Did I miss it?

The three of us stare at each other with big eyes, bust out laughing, and spill. He said, "oh so you're a bunch of cheaters."

He's a real deadpan guy and honestly you can't read him sometimes but my wife and I, and my parents (also playing with us) all think he was legit ticked about it. We also added the card back in because honestly the game was stretching out and we really kinda needed it to end.

Now, our general opinion of Munchkin is that it's just not that serious. The experience of the game faaaaaar outweighs little things like winning. I kinda thought it was completely within the spirit of Munchkin.

What say you, fellow Munchkins? Are we Munchkins or dirty rotten cheaters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the point is the experience of the game, why not ask him before removing the card too?

It sounds like you acted as though you were playing a prank or putting one over on him, not just innocently trying to improve the game for everybody.

I dunno if it's cheating, but if he was annoyed he had a right to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe remove all the cards next time whistle

I kid. I responded because the title caught my attention because I am guilty of the same thing. I've take out cards and even tried to house rule the game because of "cheap" cards.
I, like you, felt bad and realized the game is about the experience and interaction.

I say make up for it by getting some blank cards and reference the event.
Perhaps a "secular intervention" to remove a card from the game or "winning the bil way" where you go up a level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want the card to come up too quickly, shuffle it in the bottom half of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Newton
msg tools
grasa_total wrote:
If the point is the experience of the game, why not ask him before removing the card too?

It sounds like you acted as though you were playing a prank or putting one over on him, not just innocently trying to improve the game for everybody.

I dunno if it's cheating, but if he was annoyed he had a right to be.

Oh it was certainly a prank. But it was a pretty light-hearted one at that. We thought the reaction would be a smile, a laugh, and maybe a joking declaration that we suck. For us, the game has always been fun because of how dumb and unpredictable it is; it's fun because of those moments where we're all going "I can't believe that happened". We thought he'd appreciate the overall context of the prank; It's the kind of thing that we'd only expect to go over in Munchkin.

The funny thing is he may have, but like I said he can be notoriously hard to read sometimes.

Of course, that's always the risk of a prank. You can never be absolutely sure how it's going to go over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Newton
msg tools
joetaco wrote:
Maybe remove all the cards next time whistle

I kid. I responded because the title caught my attention because I am guilty of the same thing. I've take out cards and even tried to house rule the game because of "cheap" cards.
I, like you, felt bad and realized the game is about the experience and interaction.

I say make up for it by getting some blank cards and reference the event.
Perhaps a "secular intervention" to remove a card from the game or "winning the bil way" where you go up a level.

I like that! Might do it for next time. If I can figure out his actual take on the event. If my sister tells me he really was mad, I'm just gonna let it go heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lima
Brazil
Sorocaba
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine by me because Munchkin isn't really about delicate balance, but for other games I think it'd be best to ask first.

Our group had a similar issue with Fluxx and the "10 cards in hand" Goal that was winning too many games, so it was houseruled out of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmb
While i think that action is very Munchkinly, it does seem to be a little underhanded. Being familiar with a game means you have certain expectations about how to play it. If informed at the start of the game then at least he could of determined an alternate way to play.

Instead of taking it out why not just beat it within the context of the game. DI is a very limited card but can have a big effect. As it has to be played immediately upon drawing if it comes out early than the effect is fairly contained. There are numerous change class cards that could be used anytime he becomes a cleric. Hoarding these till then is very worthwhile.

I think any victory with modified versions of the game outside of the rules can make it seem hollow.

But then again a win is a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ward
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem with it. We remove the Lust Monster when the kids play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's cheating. Would you remove an Ace from a deck of 52 cards before a poker game? Or, would you remove all of the Elf race ability cards but keep in the Elf race card without telling anyone?

This kind of reminds me of going over my friends house to play one of the older versions of Xbox NFL Football when you were able to customize your plays. I would go over his house and he would always win at NFL Football. My plays would never work and his would almost always work. One day, while he left the room, I glanced through his customized plays. Come to find out, he would look at my plays while I wasn't there and customize them against mine, so my recievers were always covered and his were always open.

If you are going to change the game or customize it for your benefit, all the players should be made aware before the game starts. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.