Wilson Bryan

Maryland
msg tools
1. If I copy a weapon that is a melee weapon will it still be a ranged attack that I perform with the Morph ability?

2. Since it says that I use the dice of the figure does that mean that I don't get to use any of the surge abilities associated with the heroes weapon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
SaulKD wrote:
1. If I copy a weapon that is a melee weapon will it still be a ranged attack that I perform with the Morph ability?

Correct. The Chaos Beast makes a Ranged attack using the same dice as the chosen weapon, no matter what attack type that weapon used.

SaulKD wrote:

2. Since it says that I use the dice of the figure does that mean that I don't get to use any of the surge abilities associated with the heroes weapon?

Also correct. All you get are the dice, nothing else about the weapon is copied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I have to disagree. It doesn't say anything anywhere on the card that you ONLY get to use the weapon's dice. It says you get to use the figure's weapon but NOT any of the figure's abilities. That's what makes it cool, turning their own weapon back on them. Anything on that copied weapon card is fair game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Since only dice are mentioned on the card, I don´t think weapon surges or abilities would apply.

The wording on morph could have been more precise, thats true, but interpreting it as being able to use weapon abilities, when only dice are mentioned, doesn´t strike me as correct.

The Chaos Beasts also have abilities of their own, which they can use in addition to the attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
it has to mention the weapon's dice because the chaos beast does not get any dice of it's own. It says it gets to use the weapon. The same as if a lieutenant has a weapon. They get to use all the surges on that card. I don't see any difference. It does not say anywhere that they ONLY get the dice of the weapon.
Every monster, lieutenant, or hero has abilities. There's no precedence that ever exempts them from using weapon abilities also. That's not a logical argument to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the text of the english ability (from the Descent 2 wiki):

Quote:
When this monster attacks, it uses the dice of a figure (overlord's choice) in its line of sight. If a hero is chosen, the overlord may choose which of the hero's equipped weapon to use. The monster cannot use any of the figure's other abilities, just the dice.

I think it is pretty clear that only the dice are used, there is no mention of the weapon in the first sentence. The weapons are only mentioned in the second sentence, in case the choosen target has multiple weapons equipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I got a response from FFG and you are correct, despite the true intent of morph not being conveyed well at all anywhere. Even the FAQ she referred to only addressed adding dice to the pool. The morph definition is way too open and should be reworded. It would have easy for them to write "use the weapon dice but none of it's surges or card abilities". I think we're going to house rule it the way I initially believed. We played the Crown of Destiny quest that way and it was fun and seemed balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the wording of the skill lacks definitve clarification. It´s very nice that you took the effort to contact FFG, got an official ruling and shared it.

Of course house ruling is always an option. Just because I´m curious: Do your Chaos beasts get the target weapons abilities and surges, in adition to it´s own surges and abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
We did play that the chaos beast could use both. The master was able to use sorcery a few times plus the weapon surges. My gaming group is into Act II of the base campaign and the heroes have become way too overpowered. I'm hoping to start using the beast on some quests to take them down a notch using these house rules. Has your group run into balance issues on a campaign and what did you do about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I never felt any balance issues, except when playing with fewer than 4 heroes. I usually play the overlord, and I mostly win against the heroes, but I think this has a lot to do with my greater playing experience.

Often the heroes do not play ootimal, because they havve not yet figured out the essentials of the game. I often tell them the should go for search tokens, but they usually run straight to the objective.

It´s pretty easy to take advantage of this, but sometimes it feels like there is no challenge. So I guess I can´t really speak about balance from my normal playing experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.