United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction:
Going along with the theme of being awarded rubies for meeting the goals and assuming those rubies are coming from the royal treasury, when a goal is given, it means the king is showing interest. Being a generous king, he of course awards rubies to those who do well and gives charity to the less fortunate.

Mechanics:
When one player meets a goal, the other player takes the crown token. That player may turn in the crown token for one of two options.
1. In the work cycle, move one worker 2 spaces forward and gain that resource.
OR
2. In the build cycle, it can be used for 1 labor and 1 coin to build a structure. No change is given.

If a player does not use the crown before another goal is achieved, the crown will go to the player who didn't achieved the goal. This may result in keeping the crown or giving it to the other player.

This is a minor catch-up mechanic that can potentially come into play anywhere from zero to four times in a game, depending on how many goals are achieved.

We play-tested this one time so far and it came into play once and it did help in a minor way, but that player who got the crown still lost. So it is probably not a game changer. But we are looking for others to provide feedback and play-test it to see if it needs tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moore
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really interesting idea! I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet. Would you recommend playing the game without this first, or going on ahead incorporating this variant? I found it a little odd that there is no mention of what to do with the crown token. Once I try it out I'll let you know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmoore86 wrote:
This is a really interesting idea! I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet. Would you recommend playing the game without this first, or going on ahead incorporating this variant? I found it a little odd that there is no mention of what to do with the crown token. Once I try it out I'll let you know how it goes!

I'd say try it without so you know what the base game is like and then add it in. As it is, it may not come into play very much.

They said in the comment section of the KS that they had room for an extra token and made this one up without any rules for it. They're hoping people will come up with ideas on how to use it in the game, like me and my husband did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moore
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha! Well this seems to be a creative, unobtrusive use of it.

SilvaShado wrote:
mkmoore86 wrote:

I'd say try it without so you know what the base game is like and then add it in. As it is, it may not come into play very much.

They said in the comment section of the KS that they had room for an extra token and made this one up without any rules for it. They're hoping people will come up with ideas on how to use it in the game, like me and my husband did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmoore86 wrote:
Gotcha! Well this seems to be a creative, unobtrusive use of it.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how it plays for people, and trying it again ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Butt
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far I've only had a practice game against myself, so I used it to track who's turn it was.

Thank you for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonathanButt wrote:
So far I've only had a practice game against myself, so I used it to track who's turn it was.

Thank you for sharing.

Welcome! Hope you get to play it soon with someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garen Evans
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not thought of that...I assumed it was used to keep track of the first player

SilvaShado wrote:
mkmoore86 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giwiganz wrote:
I had not thought of that...I assumed it was used to keep track of the first player

Well, you certainly can us it for that. Though after the first player takes their turn, it doesn't really matter who's first since it ends so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
JonathanButt wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

That's what I used it for too! I was surprised how hard it was to remember whose turn it was when I was playing both sides. I figured the turns would be quick enough that it would be easy, but my AP tendencies killed me. I now have a lot more sympathy for all the obvious mistakes and bad plays that Rahdo makes in his run-throughs. :-)

(And just to be sure I'm not misinterpreted: I greatly appreciate that Rahdo makes those run-throughs: I learned about a lot of cool games from them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Introduction:
Mechanics:
When one player meets a goal, the other player takes the crown token. That player may turn in the crown token for one of two options.
1. In the work cycle, move one worker 2 spaces forward and gain that resource.
OR
2. In the build cycle, it can be used for 1 labor and 1 coin to build a structure. No change is given.

If a player does not use the crown before another goal is achieved, the crown will go to the player who didn't achieved the goal. This may result in keeping the crown or giving it to the other player.

This is a minor catch-up mechanic that can potentially come into play anywhere from zero to four times in a game, depending on how many goals are achieved.

We play-tested this one time so far and it came into play once and it did help in a minor way, but that player who got the crown still lost. So it is probably not a game changer. But we are looking for others to provide feedback and play-test it to see if it needs tweaking.

This is a neat idea, but I'm surprised that you found it a rather minor help. 1 Labor and 1 Coin seem like a huge boost to me, even if you only get to do it once. That's way better than you can get for the Lender Coin, and you need to pay for that. I would have guessed it would make you much more wary about trying to achieve goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheory wrote:
This is a neat idea, but I'm surprised that you found it a rather minor help. 1 Labor and 1 Coin seem like a huge boost to me, even if you only get to do it once. That's way better than you can get for the Lender Coin, and you need to pay for that. I would have guessed it would make you much more wary about trying to achieve goals.

We only played with it once and it did not help that much. The point from getting the goal would have been much better than the 1 coin and 1 labor. But that's why I'm looking forward to seeing if people try this variant and whether it works for them or not.

Sadly, we have not been able to get the game to the table again. But hope to soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.