Subject: Building multiple ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Schieler
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Suppose I boost the card "Build [1] Cruiser at a location you occupy". Can I build the cruisers on multiple occupied cards? Can I build the cruisers on different gates of the same occupied card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can I build the cruisers on multiple occupied cards?

Nope, the number that is boosted is the number of cruisers, not the number of locations.

Quote:
Can I build the cruisers on different gates of the same occupied card?

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, although I'd be glad to be corrected. Of course, cruisers can't occupy locations so the card probably should have said "Build [1] Cruiser at a sector you occupy" instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
If you build more than one cruiser at a location, they are still all in the same fleet -- that is, they need to be built together on the same gate. Only cards that specify building ships at multiple locations can be used to build more than one fleet, and even then, only a fleet at one gate for each location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Eidsvoog
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cchudyk wrote:
If you build more than one cruiser at a location, they are still all in the same fleet -- that is, they need to be built together on the same gate. Only cards that specify building ships at multiple locations can be used to build more than one fleet, and even then, only a fleet at one gate for each location.

Does this include the build card that reads "Build [1] Cruiser at home"? No matter how many cruisers you build at home with this action, they must all be on the same gate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Eidsvoog
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emerson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another related question - if a card allows you to build [x] ships, can you mix types or do you have to decide whether to build all cruisers or all transports? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProRock wrote:
Another related question - if a card allows you to build [x] ships, can you mix types or do you have to decide whether to build all cruisers or all transports? Thanks!

If Carl says you can only build one fleet, then perforce they must be of one type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emerson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, now that I read what he wrote again I agree. A shame the rules do not spell this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ProRock wrote:
Another related question - if a card allowed you to build [x] ships, can you mix types or do you have to decide whether to build all cruisers or all transports? Thanks!

If Carl says you can only build one fleet, then perforce they must be of one type.

I am tracking that Carl said only one cruiser fleet built at each location.
I don't see anything saying only one fleet per location. (but I'm still reading old rules questions, so it may have been answered in a newer post).

---Edit ---
I am glad to know that if you rush a transport into the sector core and boost a 'build [1] cruiser at a location you occuppy' card, you can't spread the cruisers around and take up half (or all!) the gates.

Related question, though: if I built the cluster of 4 cruisers, and used a command card that said 'move [1] cruiser fleet, all fleets must end on the same card', I would need to boost it to [3] to be able to disperse the fleet to three different gates, right (and leave one in starting gate, for a total of 4 points at end of turn)?

In other words, the only way to move multiple cruisers into different gates of the same destination card is to move them as multiple fleets?

---Edit #2--
Looks like page #31 confirms my expecstions about fleet movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
I don't see anything saying only one fleet per location.

It's immediately above.

Only cards that specify building ships at multiple locations can be used to build more than one fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cchudyk wrote:

Yes, that is part of his sentence, but I am getting the context that this statement is only in relation to cruisers, as it includes "cruisers" before and "only a fleet at one gate" afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Only cards that specify building ships at multiple locations can be used to build more than one fleet, and even then, only a fleet at one gate for each location."

The dependent clause (in blue) starts with "and even then", that means it further restricts what is permitted by the independent clause (in red). The first clause says, you can only build multiple fleets with a card if it specifies building at multiple locations. The second clause says, even if you can build two fleets at two locations, you can't use that to build two fleets at different gates of the same location.

But if it's not clear to you from what he wrote, then maybe you can get him to elaborate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.