14 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crown of Destiny Chaos Beast Morph rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
River Thelen

Minnesota
msg tools
Does the removal of "just the dice" at the end of the Morph ability mean that the revised Chaos Beasts can use the surge abilities of the targeted hero's weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now it reads

Quote:
The monster cannot use any of the figure's other abilities.

The word ability isn't well defined in the rulebook, but it's used to refer to hero ability on their sheet, to skill cards, and to surges. So you can't use any of that.

"Just the dice" part had no meaning to begin with, since previous part of the sentence already was clear enough. They just streamlined the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would take the removal of "just the dice" to indicate that the OL can now use the surges and effects of the weapon as well. This is an obvious thematic application, and makes the Chaos Beast a worthy choice.

Has FFG ruled officially on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can ask FFG if you want, and then post answer here in FFG sez thread.

But rulebook says things like this:
Quote:
If there are any surge results obtained during the attack roll, the
attacking player may spend these surges on different abilities.

So things you spend surges are abilities.

H&M Collection Packs contain a lot of cards with wording changed, without changing the meaning. I'm pretty sure this is just one of such cases.

Quote:
This is an obvious thematic application

How is it thematically obvious that Chaos Beast could use Runic Knowledge just by taking a shape of magician? Did it suddenly learn 40 years worth of rune study? Did it suddenly learn to hex people just by taking shape of hexer?

And about hexers surge abilities, leaving thematic sense on the side, how hex tokens put on heroes would even work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Uh, you are missing the point. The Chaos Beast still can't use the PLAYER'S abilities, but they can use the WEAPON'S abilities. Totally different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
I have asked the question to FFG already

I, too, thought it wasn't clear. And what about weapon like glaive ? Does the chaos beast would roll blue + red + green, or blue + red + green + red if not adjacent to the target ?

the part of text about "not any of the character's ability" is clear enough, but when about a hero's weapon, it's not so.

And, if the chaos beast only uses the "printed dice", they are really weak, especially in act 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Could somebody post the full text of the new Morph ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
morph : when this monster attacks, it uses the dice of a figure (overlord's choice)in its line of sight. If a hero is chosen, the overlord may choose which of the hero's equipped weapons to use. The monster cannot use any of the figure's other ability

the "ability" word is not clear, and it could be understandable that the figure's ability cannot be use, but what about the weapon ?
and since most of the heroes act 2 weapons have only 3 dice "printed" and the fourth one situationnal, this power seems a bit weak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... it explicitly states that the monster uses the dice of another figure. Trying to stowaway additional semantics only because it seems cool seems a bit cheesy to me.

Also, not "most" of the Act II weapons have conditional additional dice: as far as I know only Rage Blade, Glaive and Iron Claws have (among Act II items). It's more the exception than the rule.

Also, Morph allows to copy other Act II monster's dice, which means it is in par by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
so, it's a bit weak

heroes will always have advantage of the weapon because of the weapon's ability, and chaos beast will depends on the other monster's monsters. If there's no lieutenant, no big monster, or not 2 open groups, they are useless.

A bit weak IMO.

Except played with 2 open groups and Mirklace agent, I don't see any use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm... I actually found them very useful. They are a group of three large monsters (2x2)... a lot of meat to clog up hallways.
Also, because of the LOS rules, I managed to consistenly have them use a blue+red+red dice pool, which packs a lot of punch, especially considering the Master's Sorcery 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
the master is cool, but minor could have at least sorcery 1

and to roll blue + red + red, the monster or lieutenant needs to be in play. So, very circonstancial finally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
official answer from nathan hajek

does the chaos beast use only printed dice even on a hero's weapon ?
Yes, only the printed dice. Any abilities that give extra dice do not apply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok after looking at the card in hand. the beast has his own surge and sorcery 3, that can be up to 4 more damage added. he can't use the weapons surge he uses his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.