P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Decktet I've ever sold has had all the suits, ranks, and types of every other Decktet.

The types have always been a rough edge, though. Some cards are personalities, some locations, and some events. The Aces end up being their own separate type, which is weird because Ace is also a rank. The personalities are only distinguished in being face cards, so you can't tell them apart while holding them closely with other cards. The types seem out of place in the iconoclastic Deco deck. In short, the types were this confusing extra thing.

Let's file off the rough edge in two ways.

d10-1 The first change is to reconceive types.

Locations and events have always looked pretty much the same, distinguished only by a mark that appeared on the edge of the card: A black dot for events, a divided dot for locations. So let's generalize that and think of them, insofar as the structure of the deck is concerned, as different marks.

Conceptually, marks are independent of rank and suit. They are reflected in the illustration and theme of each card, but structurally they are just another symbol.

There are three marks: face cards, dots, and split-dots.

This cleans up the oddity of Aces. Instead of being another type, Aces simply do not have a mark at all. This makes Aces a bit like the Excuse, which has also has no mark.

d10-2 The second change is to add an actual symbol to the face cards, to complete their representation as a mark. After considering many possibilities, I decided on a small starburst. The result is this:

The sample image shows the cards that are now available from The Game Crafter. I changed the single decks earlier this week, and updated the double decks today.

cool I hasten to add that these changes do not make new Decktets incompatible with old ones. It is important to me that the structure stays the same. I'm just thinking about it in a different way now and reflecting that change in the marks that appear in the corner of the cards.

The star mark for face cards will allow you to identify them in a hand of cards, which will be handy when playing games like Hermit and Ascend. But you don't need one of the new decks to play those games.

ninja Keen eyes may also notice another difference in the cards that makes no difference to the games you can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
A nifty little change! Much easier to distinguish!

Were the Ace inscriptions there in the English version before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Were the Ace inscriptions there in the English version before?

Although there was not any text on the Aces in the earliest decks, I added it to the decks that I sell quite a while ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! I've had a few more casual gamers have difficulty distinguishing the personalities, despite me describing them as face cards. The mark helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the new look. So subtle, yet very sleek looking. You mentioned about this awhile ago, and I had to put my foot in my mouth, because I thought you were getting rid of events altogether. =)

Attempting to have keen eyes, is it:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
'the ACE of ______' instead of 'Ace of ______'

=)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSkifton wrote:

Attempting to have keen eyes, is it: 'the ACE of ______' instead of 'Ace of ______'

You and MyO both get points for noticing things I had forgotten were changes. Gold stars all around, and geek gold for both of you.

ninja There is something else, though, in addition to the marks and the Ace text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
The border around the images is thicker than my version, with a white line and some presumably arbitrarily chosen letters that look like PdM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My version is in french... does it count ? :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the pig is pouring a glass of wine for someone, but then I thought maybe he was being a pig and pouring a glass of wine for himself again... and THEN I said to myself, "How fun is that detail on the betrayal card."

FINALLY (I did a lot of talking/thinking to myself), I pulled out my betrayal card and saw that mine is different!

Therefore, it has to be that atleast this illusration for the Betrayal card is different. Maybe there's more...

-Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSkifton wrote:
I noticed that the pig is pouring a glass of wine for someone, but then I thought maybe he was being a pig and pouring a glass of wine for himself again... and THEN I said to myself, "How fun is that detail on the betrayal card."

FINALLY (I did a lot of talking/thinking to myself), I pulled out my betrayal card and saw that mine is different!

Therefore, it has to be that atleast this illusration for the Betrayal card is different. Maybe there's more...

-Richard

Mine is different as well but you missed a small detail.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The pig is pouring something INTO the other's wine. Perhaps some poison?

I'll add that my spoiler detail is what I thought it was, but only now got around to checking. It seems to neat of a detail to have overlooked before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
My version is in french... does it count ? :-D

My version is from Artscow and the symbols are by the words on the card's side, not the corners of the illustration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Mine is different as well but you missed a small detail...*Spoiler*

I love it! The Decktet gets better everytime I look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I thought that the Pig's eyes were more prominently drawn: on the normal side, his eyes were closed, but on the reverse, his were opened.

Than I looked at the card images I had, and saw that the white spot as if the eye was open was there, just not as prominent, but you made me look there again.

The asymmetry in this card was something very much needed, and a subtle thing like this makes the Decktet unique.

Both a difference and not.

Pigs are vicious as minks...

...Will the PnP version be updated, Paul? =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, the Mink pulls out a dagger on the normal side and adjusts the garter on the reverse side.

It was already there. And the white spot was already there, and the betrayal was there. It was not made that prominent, however.

I am curious to see how The Battle card looks in the updated deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the suit marks on the aces are now better adjusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
The border around the images is thicker than my version, with a white line and some presumably arbitrarily chosen letters that look like PdM.

This is a difference from the print&play version, but the decks I've sold have always had the thicker border.

And PdM aren't arbitrary letters!

RSkifton wrote:
...it has to be that atleast this illusration for the Betrayal card is different. Maybe there's more...

kvenosdel wrote:
The pig is pouring something INTO the other's wine. Perhaps some poison?

Yes!

This is another bit of variant art that I was inspired to do a while ago. It makes the betrayal obviously reciprocal. Maybe the two sides are the same scene, from the point-of-view of the two different people.

Like the alternate illustrations for the Journey and the Windfall which have been part of the commercial decks for years, it is a detail which doesn't really make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
...from the point-of-view of the two different people

the Betrayal may have just become my new favourite card for this one reason. I love flipping the cards over in my hand while I wait for my turn. Cards like "the Chance Meeting" or "the End" and even "the Market" have this same effect on me.

Thanks P.D. for the update to the deck! It was fun to find the subtle change(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was? Is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skifton
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:

And PdM aren't arbitrary letters!

R2-D2 begs to differ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about getting another decktet, and I was wondering if the mini-decktet on the game crafter had been updated like the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autoplectic wrote:
I'm thinking about getting another decktet, and I was wondering if the mini-decktet on the game crafter had been updated like the others.

I'm not sure if it has but the mini-deck and some small cubes can fit into a glasses case. Makes for a really portable decktet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but i haven't made any changes to the minideck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.