Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dietsch
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an honest complete noob at wargaming, but wanted to find a good, complex war game that I could play solo, and on a whim/impulse, bought this because the solitaire playability was rated high.

How would I go about playing this alone? Do I play both sides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good question!
I also have this game, and chose it primarily for solo play, which hasn't happened yet.
Perhaps some other BGGers who own this game can offer some suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Files section, there is a file for solo variants: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34562/solo-variants-sokolo...

Or you can just play a normal game where you make all the decisions for both sides. It can get a little tricky, as you know what cards each side has access to, but I still find it really enjoyable to play this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game really deserves a better solo system. Something in the vein of the solo rules used for Twilight Struggle where the system guides the player as to whether to play the card or play the OPS. There should also be guidelines on what to do with the troops. I gave it a go earlier this year, but it really is a tricky game to nail down for a good solo system.

When playing the first few games I think you'd be better off just keeping all cards face-up and play each side to the best of your ability. After that, you can start fooling around with some variants where you draw cards for both sides from facedown decks. so you wont have any idea what's coming next.

Twilight struggle has a nice solo system where the human player deals out 4-6 cards and then has to give 2-3 to the enemy. The rule is that the enemy must get at least half of the OPs points. Repeat a few times until the cards for both sides are ready and then shuffle up both decks and put them face down. Human player chooses 2 cards on his turn and picks one to play - the other gets placed on the bottom of his deck. Enemy cards are played in the order they come up. You have to legitimately outplay the enemy because they always have more OPs to work with than the human player. Can't really do that here because each side has their own decks, but something along those lines should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kelly
United States
Belle Harbor
New York
flag msg tools
mb
If you tire of "playing" solitaire you can play online in real time at www.wargameroom.com (the website handles everything) or you can play by e-mail at www.warhorsesim.com (the website handles the cards and die rolls but you have to have a copy of the game set up or use cyberboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assign a personality to each side. Say, Captain Kirk vs Carl Sagan.

When in doubt what a side should do, do what you think that personality would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.