O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
I backed this on Kickstarter and I just recently had a chance to play through a couple games with my son. Here are my thoughts after these first plays.

Components and Quality

The box is extremely high quality and made of thick cardboard. Much more than I was expecting for a cardgame. This was a nice surprise but probably not necessary as the components aren't heavy enough to make such a heavy box necessary. They included deck boxes to store the cards in which was also very welcomed. They have images printed on each box showing the recommended cards to put in each. The boxes are big enough to store the cards either sleeved or unsleeved and they provided a second overflow box for the Draw deck as they won't all fit in the one box when sleeved. While they are good for sleeved cards, they are way over sized if you don't sleeve them. Cards move around in them quite a bit when unsleeved, if you put them in the recommended boxes. It will probably be better to just condense them all into two or three boxes if you don't sleeve them.

After having been spoiled by thicker higher quality card stock in other games, I wish that one of the stretch goals would have been to print on higher quality card stock. Don't get me wrong, they aren't poor quality, I would just have liked to see better. I don't like sleeving all my card games, but if this turns out to be a game I play a lot of, I'm thinking it will need to get sleeved. Too bad they didn't go for a lower quality stock on the box and use the savings there for better card stock on the cards.

They also included 4 extra blank event cards, 4 extra blank trick cards, 4 extra blank duel cards, and 8 extra blank item cards. I probably will never use them, but I know there are lots of people who will and I like having the option. I think half the number of blank cards would have been better and use the extra to add more "official" cards to the game.

Game Play

The rules are nicely laid out and easy to digest. One quick read through and referencing the rules for the first couple turns was all that was needed to play without them. There isn't anything tricky or difficult about the game's mechanics.

The interaction is good and the play is quick, as long as you don't suffer from analysis paralysis. There is room for analysis paralysis though as you draw two cards each turn and discard one of them. This shouldn't be too bad if you already know what you have in your hand before you draw, but there are people who will have to re-evaluate all their cards each turn. This can draw the game out.

After two games it seems the first person to win a duel has an advantage, but I'm sure that will smooth out a bit more as we play more and learn the strategies. It also feels like there isn't much you can do to slow down the other player once they get a decent lead. In both of my games, one player managed to get ahead and the other player really couldn't do much to stop their own inevitable loss. I will need to play it some more to determine if this always holds true.

The problem with one player getting ahead and being pretty much unstoppable is due in part to, what I feel, are some under-priced cards. Those are two particular event cards.

The first is the 'A Miner Murder' event, which costs a silver ingot. I think this card should be either a Gold ingot, or a black 3. Yes it has a per-requisite of having a completed concealed weapon, but as concealed weapons are cheap and easy to build there is no reason not to have one. Being able to kill an opponent's miners is a huge benefit because losing even just one miner is a huge setback. The price of a miner has already been set in the game to 3 Black via the 'Very Handsome' event. Because of this it should cost 3 Black to kill one, even if that event has a prerequisite.

The other is the 'Free Beer' event card. It costs a Silver ingot to shut down an entire mine and stop your opponent for moving miners around in that mine. On two turns I was able to shut down my son's silver mine where he had 4 miners for two entire turns, which was made worse by the fact that I had killed two of his miners on previous turns. For a cost of two silver ingots, I was able to deny him four silver ingots income. That is pretty much a game winner there. One silver is too cheap for this. It should have been a gold, and even then I think its benefit would be too good. Maybe have it only be able to stop one team in a mine.

Now sure I may have gotten a lucky draw with 2 Miner Murders followed by 2 Free Beers over four turns, but the fact that this game winning combo is in the game is bad in my opinion. In the other game I was able to get 2 Miner Murders and one Free Beer, in that order with pretty much the same results. Perhaps their prices were kept low to help the underdog even the odds, but when the player with the lead can get the combo, it's pretty much instant win for them. I don't like that. That isn't good balance in my opinion. It wasn't fun for me or my son.

I'd like to see these two cards toned down. I see the value of them being in the game, but they are too good as is.

My only other issue with the game is that there are too many Copper Ingots and Gold ingots and not enough Silver ingots. In our games we ran out of Silver ingots, but we hardly used any Copper and maybe half the Gold. I think 4 fewer Copper ingots and 4 fewer Gold ingots and 8 more Silver ingots would have been a better distribution.

Conclusion

Now my issues with the game in the points above may make it seem like I didn't like the game, but that isn't true. I do like the game, I just see some balance issues with a couple cards and a need to fix the run away leader issue. It feels like it wasn't play tested enough to me as these things jumped right out at us.

The theme is good and the artwork is great. We were having a great time cracking jokes and speaking with outrageous gentlemanly accents. Unfortunately theme and artwork won't carry the game. I wish the game play were a bit better. It will take a few more plays to see if my opinion changes on these issues. I'm hoping it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
I'm making an update on this after having played one more game tonight against a different person.

I managed to get two miner murders and two free beers again in this game. I actually had the third free beer in my hand when the game ended. I had managed to completely kill my opponent's economy over a course of four rounds. Now I will say I did end up losing but only because I couldn't draw any weapons after my first two cheap weapons and my opponent was able to get a couple weapons (a shortsword and a concealed dagger to my tack hammer and close shaver) out before I shut down his economy. Those weapons were just a bit better than mine and he was able to use them in more duels than me.

What we did experience was another first player run away win. I couldn't get any rust event cards or chip tricks to damage his weapons and I didn't have anything to compete in the duels with. I was making headway with his mines shut down, but I couldn't do anything as I couldn't get weapons, events, or tricks that I could make use of. He had the same problem except he was getting all kinds of cards and expensive weapons he couldn't buy because his economy was shut down. He was just fortunate enough to get his two weapons built before I shut his economy down. If I hadn't shut his economy down the game would have likely ended much quicker than it did.

So the first player advantage definitely appears to be there and once a player has a two favor advantage it really seems like there is no stopping them. That being said I think there is room there in the game to even out these aspects somewhat, with more plays, and make for a less lopsided game. However, after this play through, I find myself feeling unexcited about the game play and my opponent felt the same way. He said even though he won, the game play just felt hollow and I would agree.

In the end I think a great theme is still let down by mediocre game play. I find this disheartening because the artwork and theme are outstanding. Perhaps they can put out an expansion with some rules tweaks and new cards to fix some of the problems. If they do, I will wait to read reviews on it before diving into it. Unfortunately I think this is going to hit the shelf and stay there for the foreseeable future.

I'd also like to see the dueling persona's grant some kind of ability rather than just being a fun little background story as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Olivier
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
How on earth did you run out of silver ingots? You do realize that you can't 'stack' ingots, right? So if you didn't spend an ingot the previous turn, you don't get to mine a new one. Also, it takes two miners to draw a silver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
Easy, we had a lot of weapons and armor in play which we used silver ingots on. I'm well aware of the restriction on ingots not building up on the miners. As I said, I had shut my son's economy down and mine was singing and I kept getting all the right cards. With three miners on the gold mine and 6 miners in the silver mine you burn through them quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's also a limit of 4 items per player. Could that account for the scarce silver?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
We missed the 4 item limit so the insufficient silver ingots problem wouldn't be an issue then.

I don't see the four item limit making the problems I see with the game-play any better though. My third game we played we never had more than three items each and all the problems were still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ronzino
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about ten to twelve times now, mostly with four or five different people. I have never experienced what you're describing.

I've never run out of ingots, and I've never had the run of cards that you're described with free beer and murder the minors. To get that hand three times in a row seems odd. I think that might be luck of the draw, or poor shuffling (I'm not saying you can't shuffle, please don't take offense at that). At most I've only ever had two Free Beer cards at any given time, and yes, I did play them right in a row.

From my experience with the game, the first player seems to have a slight advantage, but only in the beginning. Once the game is in full swing, it evens out. I've had a guy I was playing with have only one Favor card, and come back and win, due to some crafty playing and luck.

If you're the second player, you have two options, win by having more (or all Favor), or by keeping things even at 4 a piece, because if there's a draw, second player wins.

Now I do think some of the game needs tweaking, as you've pointed out, and maybe the first/second player issues can be included in that. I only played one game that was completely one sided (I lost), and that was because literally every card I drew did me no good, and I was the first player. So it's mostly luck.

That's just my thoughts on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
It wasn't bad shuffling. I didn't get them all at once. I got them over a course of turns. I had a miner murder, then the next turn I got another miner, then a free beer the next, etc... When it comes down to it, there is no such thing as a bad shuffle, unless the person shuffling the cards looks at them.

As I said in my previous post, now that I see there is a limit of 4 items, I see that it is highly unlikely to run out of silver ingots.

I agree with you, with further play I can see it is possible for the imbalances to be mitigated to some degree. The problem is still there though. Even after mastering the game, at the end of the day it just isn't that exciting of a game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Olivier
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
I've only played one long game and I was pleasantly surprised (I had low expectations) about how close it came in the end. The last few rounds were really tense as it came down to the wire. We had some epic duels with tricks deciding the course of the duel in interesting ways. I'm not saying your criticism is invalid, but I'm pleased to report that a runaway victory isn't always the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.