Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Just got my starfleet head on again and was wondering if anyone could advise me about something.
During a game how do you keep track of which weapons have fired on which ship and in what impulse as the rules say that weapons have a quarter of a turn cooling of period.
Seems to me that it could get a bit messy trying to remember it all in particular with the bigger ships and larger games.
Any suggestions would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one reason it works better to restrict players to one or two ships each. I usually jot a note on the SSD somewhere in pencil and erase as the notes become irrelevant (similar to how Fed Commander has record tracks on the SSDs for this purpose). For heavy weapons like photon torpedoes or plasma torpedoes, I put a dot in the box of the energy allocation form for that turn for that weapon. Then when I do EA for the next turn I know to start recharging it.

Note though, that in most cases you need only record the turn of firing. The one turn arming weapons with 8 impulse delays (like phasers, disruptors, drones) are for the delay between firings on subsequent turns, so for those weapons you only need the impulse of firing if you fired after impulse 25. E.g. fire a phaser on turn 2 impulse 30, it can fire again turn 3 impulse 6 (assuming it gets recharged in the intervening energy allocation phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi buddy thx for the hedsup.
Not familiar with federation commander record sheets but I may mock something up as you say.
Yes it's a shame but I supposed the scale of SFB is more ship to ship than fleet battle despite the titles in the same way that you would not get squad level detail in a battalion level game.
I would rather have things the way they are so you really feel you have control of a huge starship and all its stations.

The depth of this game is remarkable.

Again your spot on in that a maximum of two ships per person would make the game jog on at a fair rate.

So in a 4 player battle that would be 8 ships that's a good size game I think.

This is of course one of those games where playing solitaire slows things down as you have to fill in multiple energy management sheets.

I had a look at the reviews of federation commander and it seemed a bit like a dumbed down but streamlined SFB?.
A bit prettier though.
Have you any experience with it?.

I also tried the babylon five spin of by mongoose publishing tabletop rules but this is dumbed down to nothing.
I think my neighbours cat could wrap her head around that...

I still think SFB counters are a bit bland so I scanned and shrunk some tactical combat simulator counters for the ships and they are a lot prettier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ADB has numerous different record keeping forms to help with keeping track of weapons and systems. Some are available on their website, others are available in Module A+.
Or you can just make your own. A spreadsheet with a column for each turn and 32 rows for the impulses gives you a box to note what fired when. Count ahead and give yourself a reminder in the box when it's eligible fire again.
It's good to have one record sheet for each ship to avoid confusion (I copy them onto the backside of the EAF), but you can combine them onto one if youcode your entries by counter#.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks buddy I will check them out.
Yes seems it would have been a good idea to include them into the ship sheets as it seems quite necessary to smooth the gameplay.
Some of the ships have large amounts of weapons.
I am also assuming that banks of photons on the ship displays don't have to fire together? And that if they do you roll to hit or to determine damage separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlZog wrote:
ADB has numerous different record keeping forms to help with keeping track of weapons and systems. Some are available on their website, others are available in Module A+.
Or you can just make your own. A spreadsheet with a column for each turn and 32 rows for the impulses gives you a box to note what fired when. Count ahead and give yourself a reminder in the box when it's eligible fire again.
It's good to have one record sheet for each ship to avoid confusion (I copy them onto the backside of the EAF), but you can combine them onto one if youcode your entries by counter#.

I use these too - to keep track of drone racks fired, etc. They are pretty straight forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I've always just noted it on the EAF. I write my power allocation small enough that the numbers fit in the lower left corner (more or less), so it leaves plenty of room for notation of reserve power application during the turn (IE., "+2b" or whatever to note power drawn from battery) beside it, and then in the upper portion of the box noting turn/impulse of use ('2.24' for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see what the Ship Cards for Federation Commander look like, a number of low-toner versions are available at the online FC Commander's Circle.

Bear in mind that FC has two scales of play, one shown on each side of a given Ship Card. Squadron Scale more or less matches with regular Star Fleet Battles SSDs, though there are differences here and there from one game system to another. (For example, Klingon ships in FC have no security station boxes, since there are no Klingon mutiny rules in that game system.) The Fleet Scale side is perhaps more akin to what an SFB player might consider to be Cadet scale.

There is also a free preview PDF for FC called First Missions, which might help get a sense of how the basics of the game system work. (To cut a long story short, FC has less "housekeeping" relative to SFB, trims down a number of the power and weapon mechanics, and puts more of an onus on maneuver. There are tactics one can use in SFB that will get you killed in FC and vice versa, so each very much works as its own game.)

Or if you wanted a more in-depth look at things, the FC Reference Rulebook (which is available in print, and online from W23, DTRPG, and WV) might be an option to consider. The current revision (6a) comes with all of the rules needed to fly the range of Main Era Alpha Octant empires which have been formally brought over from SFB ths far. Although it does not include any scenarios, ship descriptions, or suchlike. (Plus there are some other empires from SFB which are currently in playtest form in FC, so are not included here either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx my friend all helps.
Just reworking my way through starfleet academy.
The old brains a bit rusty.
I seem to remember having trouble with my first romulan encounter last time
Slippery little buggers.
How best to take them out.
Cloak charge PLASMA torpedo blast rinse repeat.
God im a newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plasma is one area where FC differs from SFB, since there are fewer warhead options one the one hand (no enveloper, shotgun, sabot, pseudo, or other such types) and fewer countermeasures on the other (such as no wild weasels). But there are carronade rules for Gorn (and Fed and Orion) plasma-Fs, so that can help cloak-hunting for those factions.

Speaking of plasma users, another weapon which is implemented quite differently across each game system is the plasmatic pulsar device, which is worth bearing in mind when combining PPD and plasma torp use as the Inter-Stellar Concordium.

And you mentioned Mongoose. While version 1.2 of A Call to Arms: Star Fleet is in the works, it should be noted that even the revised version of that game system is not really aimed at the kind of duels or smaller squadron actions you can get into via SFB or FC. As with the Admiralty and Nova editions of the SFU Starmada adaptation, ACtA:SF is really aimed at larger squadron or fleet engagements - where the onus is less on micro-managing your individual ships and more on ensuring they operate appropriately in concert.

(Which is not to say that either Starmada nor ACtA:SF would necessarily work for you even so, if the more finely granulated resolutions of focus are what you're looking for.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I did play (1984-1991) I got to the point where I could run a DN with a FF or 3 cruisers or a 3 ship carrier group. Can't now a days because been away from it so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.