Hide
4 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: X-89 and diplomats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nope nottelling
msg tools
Does the X-89 Bacterial Weapon kill diplomats? And can diplomats prevent the use of this weapon the same way they can postpone regular bombardment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomats are not units, and thus are not affected by things that affect units (including X-89).

I'd have to look, but I do think that if Bombardment is prevented, that it also prevents X-89. However, this doesn't stop a War Sun, since War Suns can bombard even if they don't invade (including if the invasion is blocked by a Diplomat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Diplomats don't postpone bombardment, they postpone invasion, and they would do so even if you X-89'd their planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
Diplomats don't postpone bombardment, they postpone invasion, and they would do so even if you X-89'd their planet.

Indeed, but since Dreadnoughts can't bombard without invasion, if a Diplomat blocks an invasion then Dreadnoughts can't bombard.

I think a ruling was made on this awhile ago, but I may be wrong. The crux of it was that if there's no bombardment, there can be no "before bombardment" either. However, I'd need to dig to see if I can find it (and again, it's possible I'm misremembering and mixing that up with something else).

On the other hand, there is a FAQ entry that says that a Dreadnought can use X-89 even if the planet has PDS (which prevents bombardment), which does start me questioning whether I'm remembering correctly as well.

In any case, I've sent this question to Corey to hopefully get clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.