6 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » General

Subject: The Lore of Thunderstone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvester Szczepaniak
msg tools
Hi everyone.

I'm a new Thunderstone player. I got started with Towers of Ruin and have since picked up a few expansions. My question is about the world of Thunderstone. In the ToR opening story, it felt like I was opening a novel in the middle of the plot. I pieced together that we are heroes sent on a quest to save Bail Bhoid, but I wanted to know more about when exactly this takes place, who the council is, the backstory on Thunderstone up to this point, and why we start with Thunderstone shards and aren't corrupted (or tempted) by their power (essentially, why we are forced into the role of the hero saving the doomed village).

Don't get me wrong: I love Thunderstone Advance and will play it for many years to come. I'm just confused about the backstory and feel like there could be more explanation about the world itself (government, politics, religions, village life, cultural customs, cults, even more information on the mercenaries back stories would be nice).

Granted, I know it's not real, that it's just a game. But more context (and a clearer context) would increase my interest in the game. Is there any other place I can go besides the rulebook for information on this? I'm not asking for a library as expansive as Skyrim, but any links or comments would be great!

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wondered the same myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version is that in the first six sets of Thunderstone, the heroes were collecting the Thunderstones in order to banish Doom from their realm. The Rite of Banishing succeeded in pushing Doom out of that plane, but it forced him into another one (Tala) along with the protagonist (the player) who arrives to find the Thunderstone used in the ritual has broken. (Thus the Shards). Towers of Ruin, Caverns of Bane and Root of Corruption occur over this timeline, where the protagonist tries to figure out where Doom has given Thunderstones to (think Rings of Power, the Thunderstone Bearers think they have this awesome thing, but in truth it enslaves them to Doom) and ultimately banish Doom from this realm as well.

For a while, we were attempting to supply a series of short fictions to follow the game (I was writing them), but for reasons I can't remember this idea was abandoned. I can do my best to answer any specific questions you have about Tala and its history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvester Szczepaniak
msg tools
Ah. The Towers of Ruin opening scene makes much more sense. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, Joe. Also, if anyone else has questions about the lore, please ask. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but I'll read through the opening scenes of the game again and post them if I have them.

About those short stories, if you did get back to the project, I'd like to read them. I was actually thinking of writing fan fiction based on Thunderstone. Would that be alright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
If anyone can write a complete storyline, that would be awesome, 'cause after owning the first six sets of the game I got lost as well-- how those TS became shards and the game branched out into Numenera/ToR/WC, so which world are we in now? etc.
It seems to me that the storyline restarts from Advance rather than from the very beginning. But then, there's no real progress to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the storyline came to a climax in Thunderstone 6, Heart of Doom. In it, the fiction speaks of going toe to toe with Doom, and there is a scenario that depicts that very battle, followed, IIRC, with another short piece that teases Advance. Then the story continues in advance in the aftermath of the Big Battle (tm). There is continuity there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.