4 Posts

Claustrophobia» Forums » Rules

Subject: exploring, survivors scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I just bought this game, and played survivors one simple question I'm struggling with, when human is exploring, does the human choose which opening to place the tile I.e. The opening with the air die on it so the die can be changed? Then the demon player chooses how to place it (orientation), or does the demon player choose where and how to place it, not choosing the air die opening therefore not changing the die amount? And chooses how to place it? We did the demon player chooses but the demon just kept placing it on the opening without the die therefore the die rarely increased, the game took 2hrs. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the opening with the Fresh Air die is explored, the score is incremented; then the Demon player places the die at another unexplored opening on the new tile. (pg. 16)

As for exploring: unless otherwise stipulated, the Human player draws the tile and the Demon player places the tile, pursuant to placement rules. (pg 12) The Demon player can't choose to place the newly explored tile just anywhere; it must be placed in relation to the tile the exploring figure moved from.

Likewise with the Fresh Air die: it must be incremented immediately upon exploration of the opening where it has been placed. Therefore the scenario clock will always be ticking (unless the Human player makes a conscious decision to not explore the Fresh Air openings...typically not a smart move shake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, just had another game couple more questions, just making sure I'm playing right as it semt really easy for the humans, basically the guy who has the impressive, kept all the trogs and demon behind with his ability,(not letting them move out of the tile) then the redeemer kept getting a 5 to give, one of the blades who kept getting 2 movements plus 1 from the blade giving him the +1+1+1 token, so he just kept running and exploring, when a trog appeared before him because he was elusive he kept just going through them. Then the other blade caught him up easily. Hope it's not always this easy unless I'm missing something. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hope it's not always this easy unless I'm missing something."

It shouldn't. I've played this scenario in particular six or seven times. Typically, given competent play on both sides, a draw is achieved. I've only seen one victory but that was due to a conscious decision by the Human player to bring back a Blade who was well on his way out of the tunnels. Definitely not competent play, especially given I pointed out that total party death was likely to occur if the player persisted (as indeed it did).

A few things:

--why wasn't the backstopping Brute eventually crushed by his opponents (especially since they were supported by a Demon)? Just a few hits will greatly increase the chance he becomes Exhausted and then his days are numbered.

--the Trogs were never able to get the Elusive Talent, thus allowing the Demon forces to bypass the blocker (note that this Destiny Board result will also temporarily remove the Elusive Ability for Humans)?

--the Demon player tends to have much better access to Event Cards. These can be very effective when opportunity presents.

--a Redeemer which manages to consistently roll the values needed to trigger his Gifts will be difficult to deal with no matter what happens with the rest of the game. However, that shouldn't be the norm (it certainly hasn't been for me! and isn't a guaranteed game winner even so.

Keep playing; the game is well worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.