Hide
6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minor Nations Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nope nottelling
msg tools
Played a 3 player game where we added the other 5 colours as minor nations that can be influenced at the end of the Assembly strategy card to perform minor actions in your favour.

The details:

The minor races are not played the same way player races are. They don't buy or upgrade tech (optional(they can use their starting tech)) they don't use strategy cards or abilities, and they don't even get a turn every turn.

The only time they can do anything is at the resolution of the Assembly strategy card. After players have used most of their influence voting on political cards they then begin voting influence on minor nations. The speaker gets to decide the order in which the nations will be voted on and breaks ties. This allows for influence to be used more and also adds a lot more negotiating, bribery, threats and all that good stuff so that players can gain control of those key minor races close to their ( or their enemies ) home system.

After gaining control of a minor race a player has to make them build units as their production allows or invade other systems not belonging to the controlling player. The controlling player has to do one of those two actions with them. The minor races are going to expand eventually and, when you feel you need some more living space, you are going to have to go to war with them at some point.

Going to war against a minor race has repercussions though, unless they were the ones who attacked you first. If a player invades a system belonging to a minor race without any reason then the player is seen as an aggressive threat by the other minor races and gets a permanent negative vote when trying to influence the others. The amount of negative votes depends on the attacked races influence. So it may be better to try befriend some minor races rather than fighting them.

A player can befriend a minor race by either controlling 4 of the 6 adjacent systems getting a bonus to votes when trying to influence that specific minor race. Or, if a player controls all of the systems surrounding the minor race he can annex them replacing all the ship counters with his own at the beginning of the next turn and taking control of all owned planets.

This is going to make the game a little longer than it normally is,which is already quite long and the rules probably have a lot of imbalances and loopholes but it adds a lot more fun in a 2 or 3 player game. The group I play with are quite lively and this variant made the galactic assembly a lot more raucous with bribery, deals and secret promises left and right.
Let me know your thoughts.

On a side note....anyone know where I could get more TI plastic pieces in different shades? I'd love to try add even more neutrals to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I like the sound of this variant! I've actually considered using something like it myself.

I'm not sure that I understand how to get positive influence on a minor race. You said controlling 4 of the 6 adjacent hexes next to them, the implication being there'd be 6 adjacent hexes. But there may be more. Can you elaborate on this a bit?

I like how this expands the use of influence.

Cheers mate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting indeed. This is one of the better ways I've seen to spice this game up if you can't get 5+ together for a game. I'd think the minor races could be even a little bit MORE powerful, such as an automatic build, followed by an optional move. That will put them more on a level with the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
During church today I was thinking about this.

Seems like a very simple format that could be used to make TI into a cooperative game, or perhaps a semi-cooperative game. Interesting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastmax wrote:

On a side note....anyone know where I could get more TI plastic pieces in different shades? I'd love to try add even more neutrals to this game.

Spray paint adheres pretty well to the pieces (make sure that you clean them with soap and water first). I recommend using plastic colors that are similar to the ones being sprayed on or you end up with a bit of bleed through (which you have to use additional coats to cover up). Make sure you test the spray paints on a sprue before applying to the pieces too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea.
Could you tell if you place them on edges of the galaxy or in the middle? What count is positive or negative influence and how it's counted?

Hm... I think some more tweaking could make this very very great addition

Like mentioned here, why not allow a mandatory action for them and then additional action for player to execute? (Just ideas)
Like 2 mandatory actions to choose from that get performed randomly, for example acquire tech this round, build units this round. Maybe this would make more interesting, maybe to strong

Still like your initial idea, where you make event one move with additional ships is nice. Do they count toward objectives, like control HS of a player? probably not, but could be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.