Shogun» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between Shogun and Wallenstein? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christopher lim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I already have Wallentstein, should i even bother looking at this game? I mean, I understand that it is a re-theme of Wallenstein but is there no other difference? Maybe minor tweaks in gameplay or perhaps a different design for the cube tower? And also the price...$35 to $60.What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one knows yet.

Shogun is the phantom product that keeps being pushed out to later days for publication. Until someone actually has a copy and plays it, your question is unanswerable.

Is the board different? No one knows yet.
Are the cube towers different? No one knows yet.
How is it different from Wallenstein? No one knows yet.

Magic 8-ball says: "Try again later".

Watch "Gone Cardboard" to see when it's actually published. And be prepared for it to be pushed out several more times than whatever date is stated there before anyone actually has a copy.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C50/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay just posted that the rules are the same. So if you own the old one, I wouldn't bother unless you really want the new components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, what Jay posted is Queen sent him component samples but didn't send him the rules. And unfortunately Jay has never played Wallenstein so he's hoping for someone to come by and teach him the game. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Jay Tummelson may not have the official rules, it is very possible that someone from Queen Games could have told him, what... if any, differences exist.

Might as well try these links together:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120583

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innovan wrote:
No, what Jay posted is Queen sent him component samples but didn't send him the rules. And unfortunately Jay has never played Wallenstein so he's hoping for someone to come by and teach him the game. laugh

Hmmm... the images sure look like Wallenstein... there's the revolt chart, there's the place where you put the seasonal events, there's where you sort the events for the year. The actions on the player mat look identical to Wallenstein. The only thing that's not immediately clear is what that second player mat is for (the one that features a samurai with a drawn sword)... it's too blurry to make out. Perhaps it has a production chart for each of the provinces. I still wish they'd put the production for the provinces right on the board... it would sure your strategic direction more coherent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yschiew
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamenews.com/conventionreports/gencon2006/da...

looks like u arrange your initial starting armies there
before placing them on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
That last picture has suns and moons next to a few regions. Since the board is double sided, it's possible that on is the 'sun side' and the other the 'moon side'. Can anyone with more knowledge of japanese geography check if the board pictures and the region names match?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for the areas on Honshu I lived in Japan this map seems familiar to the old district names I recognize. I'd have to find an old map to see if they are precisely the same, but my guess is that they are just close approximations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Based on reading the Shogun rules - I have found the following differences from Wallenstein:

Invading neutral territories:
Wallenstein - place a revolt marker in the conquered territory
Shogun - no revolt marker

Player vs. Player Combat:
Wallenstein - farmers count at 0 or 1 revolt marker
Shogun - farmers count only at 0 revolt markers

Turn Order:
Wallenstein - random shuffle
Shogun - auction for special privileges (which determine turn order)

Game End Tie Break: (Pointed out by Ricardo Castillo)
Wallenstein - most palaces, then churches, then trading firms
Shogun - greatest number of war chests wins.

Not a difference, but can be read that way in the rules layout:

Grain/Rice Harvest:
Wallenstein - place a revolt marker
Shogun - place a revolt marker...reference is the indented paragraph after Collect Taxes. If a player collects rice or gold, a revolt may occur. If no revolt (or revolt suppressed), place a revolt marker.

Edit History:
(1) Added Ricardo's Game End Tiebreak Difference. Even though it is right below, thought a single entry summarizing all the differences would be more convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Castillo
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Not to mention Tie Breaks:

Wallenstein: In case of a tie, the player with the most palaces, then churches, then trading firms, is the winner. If there is still a tie, then they share victory. (spielbyweb.com rules)

Shogun: In case of a tie, the player with the greatest number of war chests wins. (pdf instructions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

Not a difference, but can be read that way in the rules layout:

Grain/Rice Harvest:
Wallenstein - place a revolt marker
Shogun - place a revolt marker...reference is the indented paragraph after Collect Taxes. If a player collects rice or gold, a revolt may occur. If no revolt (or revolt suppressed), place a revolt marker.

I don't see the differences between these - and if it's not a difference why did you have them on the list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences between Shogun and Wallenstein 2nd Edition? I just played the later and loved it, but think I would enjoy the Japanese theme more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.