Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Power Bolt action and finishing your opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I've been playing the power bolt action correctly, you can damage your opponent and end a match by rolling a power bolt action die? This seems kind of cheap and anti climatic for me. My gaming group decided to house rule if you're sitting at 2 life or less that a power bolt can't end the match. How do you guys feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several ways to do direct damage. I would say if you use them, you use them. If you don't, you don't.

I can understand your feelings, but I've also seen games that end with a massive 14+ point hit that was a "oh crap, where did that come from?" moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent is wasting turns buying power bolt you should be smacking them in the face with characters and not have to worry about being at 2 life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smytty94 wrote:
So if I've been playing the power bolt action correctly...

You are playing it correctly.

Quote:
This seems kind of cheap and anti climatic for me.... How do you guys feel?

That's been my experience with the game as a whole: winning feels cheap and anti-climactic. There seem to be many people who don't feel this way so I suppose it depends on personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
End a game with a power bolt IMO shouldn't feel cheap it's like top decking in magic. You strategically get that person in range with variable plays attack timing, rolling the right characters at the right time and winning based on the combination of skill and luck. I'm not gonna say it doesn't suck to get knocked out with a bolt but it's a basic action so if you don't like its potential to end your game then grab them and use to your own advantage. House ruling is totally cool and I think so far this game does need some balancing rules but I don't see how you can feel let down by a direct damage that is essentially a lightning bolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
smytty94 wrote:
So if I've been playing the power bolt action correctly, you can damage your opponent and end a match by rolling a power bolt action die? This seems kind of cheap and anti climatic for me. My gaming group decided to house rule if you're sitting at 2 life or less that a power bolt can't end the match. How do you guys feel?

I feel changing the rules is unnecessary. I mean, you are that worried about 2 damage ending a game? Don't get to 2 life left!

each his own, but I would never do what you did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how terrible basic action dice tend to be in this game, this seems like an unnecessary worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the input. We've got some strong opinions about this idea and they all seem to make sense. For the record I was the player that ended the game with a power bolt

For me, it just fell flat as an end to a game so it got us talking. The best analogy I can think of is getting fouled in basketball as time expires in a tie game. I hit both free throws to win the game. It's like yeah I won, but it kinda sucked.

It may just change the game too much and is not a good solution, not to mention it's a dice game that should be quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But regardless, I love this game and my friends always want to break it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Contrary to the flavor, games don't always end in dramatic fashion. It's just the nature of TCGs (erm, TDG in this instance?). I've seen plenty of matches come down to topdecking the exact card needed and others where the player had to make very specific moves in the right order to win.

Sure, a Power Bolt to the face isn't climatic, but you're aware it could happen because the player bought it previously during the game. So you can't be too surprised when you see it show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Least you can see PB coming. Unlike the 17-dmg turn that allowed the player with 2 lives left win. Pulled Windrider Storm + rare Wolverine (and had only 1x each die bought), rolled both as charactes with enough energy to field. Storm rerolls both defender-wannabe Beasts as energy, 4 dmg, down to 13, everyone attacks against the now empty field, dealing 13 dmg, from down 2-17, win 2-0 surprise .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gobeil
msg tools
It is abit anti-climactic, but the other 18 damage came from somewhere. If it was from 9 other power bolts, then you should have had character advantage over the guy with all the action dice.

I played a game where I was at 3 health and my opponent was at 16. I used Johnny Storm to trigger my Green Goliath three times and managed to clear his board and do 18 damage in one round to take the win. That's alot more climactic, but a win is a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.