Subject: Where to now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I have now played the six maps from the new expansion a few times as single breakthrough maps and apart from my one negative comment in earlier threads regarding the depth of the new breakthrough maps and the inability for the Axis to move their reinforcements to the beach (a very exciting rule change that means little to the Axis but everything to the Allies)I find the new rule additions a definite step change in Memoir 44. In fact, I'm so pleased with the expansion I have bought a second copy for spares because I know the paper maps will take some real punishment over time.

On balance, then, I can say that I have really enjoyed playing these new scenarios, especially Sword Beach and the American airborne because the full depth of the maps are used. I now can't wait to see what other expansions can possibly follow this one.

My burning question: where can we possibly go from here? Any ideas? I for one would like to see more exciting Overlord and Breakthrough maps developed particularly as a campaign theme.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest 'advance' for DDL would be a series of "Up From the Beach" scenarios, where the Allies start on or near the beaches and advance to battle on the top (German) half of the maps (I haven't played Sword yet). This would require only new scenarios; no more maps, rules, or pieces. Taking Caen, certainly, could provide some major action! Historically, the British didn't get off that 'map' for a long time.

As I've mentioned, I know that an entire Operation Olympic (the invasion of Japan 1945) exists but remains unpublished. Who knows what else Borg and his cohorts have up their sleeves? For now, I'm mostly looking forward to the expansion of C&C Napoleonics, since so much has been revealed about new expansions to come, all of which will allow significant new play combos using major Allies together on big boards. Ther are also great new scenarios coming out on the fan site for Battle Cry, including two board epics and now even Breakthrough format.

The question seems to be, for M44, which expansions the publisher DOW will green light, releasing the game developments that already exist...they're the ones who have to pay for them, and schedule their production. And that's a Big Secret for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
The simplest 'advance' for DDL would be a series of "Up From the Beach" scenarios, where the Allies start on or near the beaches and advance to battle on the top (German) half of the maps (I haven't played Sword yet). This would require only new scenarios; no more maps, rules, or pieces. Taking Caen, certainly, could provide some major action! Historically, the British didn't get off that 'map' for a long time.

As I've mentioned, I know that an entire Operation Olympic (the invasion of Japan 1945) exists but remains unpublished. Who knows what else Borg and his cohorts have up their sleeves? For now, I'm mostly looking forward to the expansion of C&C Napoleonics, since so much has been revealed about new expansions to come, all of which will allow significant new play combos using major Allies together on big boards. Ther are also great new scenarios coming out on the fan site for Battle Cry, including two board epics and now even Breakthrough format.

The question seems to be, for M44, which expansions the publisher DOW will green light, releasing the game developments that already exist...they're the ones who have to pay for them, and schedule their production. And that's a Big Secret for now.

Hi Jon

I like the idea of taking the Normandy action further up the beach and perhaps re-enacting some of the Normandy operations around Caen. I would also like to see some more Overlord maps produced and the Russian campaigns are of particular interest to me.

I too am a fan of CC Napoleonics and it was the frustrating wait for the Prussians to arrive that (fortunately) led me on to Memoir 44. I do have great hopes for the Napoleonics series but it is very slow in development. I must also check out what you say regarding the developments of the Battle Cry system because that has sat on the shelf for a while and deserves another go.

Thank you very much for coming back on the thread your comments about all three of RBs games are most appreciated.

Very best regards
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I would definitely like to see the Invasion of Japan. What about a US-Russia post WW2 expansion? Maybe even a "What if" where the Germans invade England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.