5 Posts

Magnum Opus» Forums » General

Subject: Clue cards title question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why were the 3 clue names, Albedo, Rubedo and Putrefactio particularly chosen for the stages of alchemy? How do they mesh, in the game, with one another, just generally speaking at the concept level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
Why were the 3 clue names, Albedo, Rubedo and Putrefactio particularly chosen for the stages of alchemy? How do they mesh, in the game, with one another, just generally speaking at the concept level?

Millenia of history. Well, half a millenia if you consider they only have 3 not 4. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_opus_(alchemy%29

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
After the 15th century, many writers tended to compress citrinitas into rubedo and consider only three stages...

-So Nigredo has become Putrefactio? It's 15th century Alchemy?

-What concepts do Albedo, Rubedo and Putrefactio represent in the game, then, apart from white, red, and decomposition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
Quote:
After the 15th century, many writers tended to compress citrinitas into rubedo and consider only three stages...

-So Nigredo has become Putrefactio? It's 15th century Alchemy?

-What concepts do Albedo, Rubedo and Putrefactio represent in the game, then, apart from white, red, and decomposition?

They represent the mystical stages of alchemy which were frequently referred to colours. This is believed to be why people persist in claiming rainbows have seven colours.

It's theme. You can't actually have a taxonomy of the concepts behind mystical alchemy because it isn't real.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stedman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
INCOMING TRANSMISSION on KickStarter now!
badge
Magic Meeple...the boardgame people! MagicMeepleGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: The original design of the game was meant to have a 4th "Clue type" which was Citrinatas. It was trimmed out to improve the pacing of the game, and was an easy change due to some historical lore I found in my own research that implied that many Alchemists combined that process with another (I believe it was Purtrefactio, but my memory fails me at the present)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.