Dominion: Cornucopia» Forums » Sessions

Subject: How I learned the power of Horse Traders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played a mixed game of Cornucopia, Base, Seaside, Intrigue and Dark Ages with one of my friends the last night. The cards that are relevant to our session were the following: Knight, Lookout, Militia, Horse Traders, Wishing Well. There were no drawing cards in the kingdom, and neither cards that gave you + action.

We both started with a 3/4 opening, and at the beginning we both went with the same strategy. We both opened with Lookout/Militia. Then came the third hand in the game for my opponent, which was a very lucky draw for him: he managed to draw both his Militia+Lookout with 3 coppers, so he trashed, than attacked, then went on buying his first Knight. We both had the same strategy in mind for the long run: knighting out the value from our opponents, but by the 8th hand, he was leading in the Knights department with 4 to 2. Till the 12th hand, almost all Knights were gone(1 remained) and he still out-knighted me with 2 knights.

Then came the 13th hand, when he bought the last Knight too. Not only he had more Knights in his deck, he managed to get the better ones as well(+2 Actions/+1Card+1Action/+2Cards/Trashing...). I was loosing the game badly at that moment. As my 13th hand, I got a lucky draw too, by drawing out 3 silvers, and 2 coppers, with which I quickly brought my first Province, in the hopes that I can somehow finish the game, before he completely destroys my deck with his Knights.

The Knight cards were already gone, he bought a Horse Traders, and with it, he emptied half of the Wishing Wells too, so I had slim chances in finishing the game, but at least I had some chance. I was hoping that if I can quickly gain a few Horse Traders, with my silvers, I can empty Wishing Well+Estates by the time he builds up enough gold to reach two or three provinces.

In the next few turns, I kept on buying Horse Traders, and he kept on buying gold. At this moment, I would never have thought that the game will end with a victory to me by emptying the Province pile, thus gaining more provinces than him. But the Horse Traders did their magic with my deck. With 6 horse traders in my deck, and with my deck trimmed by his Knights, and my Lookout, I managed to draw 3 times till the end of the game 2 Horse Traders in a single hand. He did the rest of the "work" for me, by attacking me with Militia/Knights. Whenever he attacked, I just set aside my Horse Traders, so at the beginning of my turn I started the hand with 7 cards instead of 3 or 5, and using the Horse Traders, I always reached 8 coins, to buy a province for myself. In the end, I won the game 5 provinces to 3, and thus learned the power of Horse Traders in an attacking Kingdom setup.

It's time to go and test out some new strategies with Horse Traders, a card that I usually omited in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better vs. Militia, you first set HT aside, then discard down to 3 cards, so it actually reduces the # of cards you'd have to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Even better vs. Militia, you first set HT aside, then discard down to 3 cards, so it actually reduces the # of cards you'd have to discard.
And given that Horse Traders return to your hand WITH an additional card, it basically nullifies the attack. It's even better than Moat, as you can discard a junk card from your hand to draw another one (with Horse Traders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.