David Perry
France
Lacour
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last week whilst away on holiday. Very tense, very enjoyable. I managed 130 + points surviving with relatively few character fatalities.

The pure frustration of jamming weapons, especially when the machine gun jams on the penultimate turn and you have to abandon it and fall back to pick up another, less effective gun. (My last Home Guard failed his movement roll and failed to follow his sergeant and paid the ultimate price. Or the fist pump when your shooting club take out four parachutists relieving huge pressure...both great fun.

The WI Shooting club, despite being wiped out were vital with multiple weapons; as were the cricketers in conjunction with a character, finishing off the Nazis in close combat, many troops were despatched to 'cow corner'. (Cricketers were heroic but were 'all out' as were the Home Guard, except for the sergeant. Multiple weapons were also effective with the pub regulars who were bloodied but triumphant in holding their precious pub until needing to fall back for the last turn.

Find and kill Chaplin, this is worth any risk as the consequences of not doing so are potentially disastrous. The Headmistress was my Chaplin and was shot by the 'scuffer' a doubly bad day for the school as the teachers would not be giving any further detentions; good job new Nazi teachers would be coming in to replace them.

Defend in depth, preventing infiltration makes defeating your enemy easier.

Set up 'kill zones', the lines of advance make this possible.

Study the capabilities of the characters and try to keep this in mind, eventually you will become aware of who should be kept together and who should be kept apart.

Decide who your killers are and use them wisely.

Understand how the flow of attackers is likely to change as time progresses and plan movement accordingly, and watch your plan crumble into chaos.

Most importantly .............. roll well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good advice.

From our plays, I'd add that the timing of strategy card vs tactical card choices is also important. Since many tactical cards must be deployed with a roll, and the adjustments to that roll get worse with time, it makes sense to go for early tactical cards and switch to strategy later, hoping to keep the worst of the German units out. The two light infantry forces (5th and 1st) are not too bad, but the 20th are tougher and obviously you really don't want to see tank tracks on the cricket pitch. Although this tends to suggest British Strategy cards all the way, and that has worked for us, the benefits of a good early tactical card are also significant, so I think a quick shot at one or two in the first couple of turns could be worth it.

Last night we met a really horrific Character card for the first time. It has yet to deploy, but we are terrified of its expected effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a multiplayer variant, or when you say "we" are you playing co-op solitaire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
After only one play (very enjoyable) and then messing around with some numbers in a spread sheet as to the likely number of German units that will come out based on taking a British or German Strategy card, I might go further than Derek in his advice above - go all out on the British strategy cards and ignore the tactics cards.

Going exclusively with British strategy cards will almost guarantee you that German regiments (and tanks) will arrive later, or not at all. That adds up to quite a few German units you won't have to kill over the course of the game. The tactics cards on the other hand are a mixed bag which can not always be used and can not be guaranteed to deploy (especially from the mid game onwards). They are unlikely to be as useful as the number of extra German units you will have to kill or the tanks your villagers will have to face.

In some ways winning isn't really the point of the game - it's a story/narrative generator, so maxing your chances is not necessarily playing in the right spirit, but it's a little unnerving accelerating the arrival of German armour in return for some 'Tea and bandages' which might not even make it through to you.

In terms of your score it is also better to delay the advance of the Invasion track as well.

I'm not convinced that this won't need to be house-ruled to bring the tactics cards into play and provide a more balanced decision as to whether to take a British or German strategy card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
I'm not convinced that this won't need to be house-ruled to bring the tactics cards into play and provide a balanced decision to whether to take a British or German strategy card.

I totally agree with this. I played only once, but i think that the advantage to have less german units on the map is quite better than the advantage of tactical cards. That is a pity, because it cuts off a big part of the narrative aspect of the game. A house-rule would be very welcome to allow some tactical cards in play without the big counter-part of the advance on the invasion track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Murphy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Played two player a couple of weekends ago with my son as a co-op as he was desperate to play but didn't fancy reading all the rules.

It went extremely well. We randomly dished out the characters and took turns to select which cards to draw etc. The other player tended to roll the Germans dice against the British player.

It was a very tense finish and at one point we though Ms Featherstone was hovering about the church with a view to setting fire to it. She suddenly legged it to the barn and knocked Daisy out before a horde of Germans threw in an attack that killed the Farm Hands. We were certain she was Chaplain before she awoke with a bump on her head and killed the Germans attacking her. She went down next turn, as did Daisy, in a hail of fire.

Chaplain turned out to be the Dr. whose surgery was suspiciously full all game and whose score was Killed 1, Healed 1, still wounded 3.

My son (who is 27 and dyslexic by the way) is now hooked and I have to admit to really enjoying the game. We'll certainly play it this way again... just have to get the fridge stocked up with beer and clear a Saturday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoganTT wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:
I'm not convinced that this won't need to be house-ruled to bring the tactics cards into play and provide a balanced decision to whether to take a British or German strategy card.

I totally agree with this. I played only once, but i think that the advantage to have less german units on the map is quite better than the advantage of tactical cards. That is a pity, because it cuts off a big part of the narrative aspect of the game. A house-rule would be very welcome to allow some tactical cards in play without the big counter-part of the advance on the invasion track.

I slightly disagree with this.

The Sea Lion roll is more often than not only a +1 so whether a German or British Strategy card is drawn the likelihood of advancing the invasion marker is not significantly increased/decreased in my opinion. Whereas the benefit of the tactics cards seem pretty strong, deployment allowing of course, though deployment is easier earlier on with the invasion track modifiers.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
The Sea Lion roll is more often than not only a +1 so whether a German or British Strategy card is drawn the likelihood of advancing the invasion marker is not significantly increased/decreased in my opinion. Whereas the benefit of the tactics cards seem pretty strong, deployment allowing of course, though deployment is easier earlier on with the invasion track modifiers.

The chances of the invasion track advancing if you take a German strategy card are around 82%, this goes down to only about 40% if you take a British Strategy card.

I ran some test games via a spreadsheet (a bit sad I know) and even if you only drew 3 German Strategy cards, and those early in the game to give yourself the best chances of being able to deploy the subsequent Tactics card, you will likely get an extra 30 German units to deal with in the course of the game, as opposed to the situation if you draw all British Strategy cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 30? Seems very high but possible. However, if you draw three German strategy cards on the first three turns (Turns 2,3,4) and you lost the SeaLion roll each time surely the maximum even then could only be 20 (EDIT: with most likely being between 3-12)?

And that would be with the dice hating me even more than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The assumptions I made on my spreadsheet were that:-

- A German Strategy Card was taken on turns 2, 4 and 6
- An activated Regiment would contribute 3 units per turn

Then take the following scenario -

- On turn 2 taking the German Strategy card rather than the British one results in the invasion moving forward

- On turn 3 despite taking the British strategy card the invasion advances. So the Invasion track is on 4 so an additional German Regiment is now active than would otherwise have been the case. So 3 extra German units this turn.

- If you now get lucky for turns 4, 5 and 6 and the invasion track does not advance then that would be an extra Regiment active for the whole of those three turns. So you are already up to 12 extra units by the end of turn 6

- If there is a second advance of the invasion track due to taking German rather than a British Strategy card the extra activated German Regiment situation will persist for the rest of the game so that's 3 extra German units on average every turn.

It obviously can happen that on the three turns you take the German Strategy card that the same result on the invasion track could happen anyway, in which case there will be no extra German units. However it can also be worse than in the above scenario with 2 extra German Regts being activated and that situation persisting for much of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.