Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello,

I had the misfortune (well, more than once) to die. Usually the rules are clear. Come back with a new explorer, start at an existing entry point.
Thing was, since I was running from monst... exploring a lot, I put the first new maptile to the right of the existing one.
Then, I continued to go right and drew a new maptile, which I put on the right to that one, using the scrolling mechanism.

like this: old maptile - new maptile - newer maptile
So I had to take away the old maptile. So far, so good.

Then I died. Problem is: I had no entry point anymore where I could have entered, since I got rid of the existing one by scrolling maptiles.
Is that then just plain dumb to do it this way, since it means defenitly losing the game with no way of coming back or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Comeyne
Belgium
Assebroek (Brugge)
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope that the next chapter lets the surviving explorers go back to the base and when going back to the board, there will be a new entry and you can join them again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. Thats what I figured, but since I only played with one character at that time, that really did mean game over then, since there's no way I could explore another chapter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Billups
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule book says the maps are meant to create a 2x2 playing area, but that seems to limit how you can place the tiles. I had a situation where I could not create a 2x2 because there were pits where the other map would need to join. I think scrolling is optional, depending on how much table space you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If you play solo and with scrolling you remove the entry token and you die - game over.

@Steve: Map scrolling enables you to remove monsters without fighting, and with more experience you can use that to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for clarification on handling explorer death. You can choose a new character immediately and start playing with it the next round (assuming there is an entry token in play)? So the rule in the Howling Mountain that lets you choose another explorer is only used in the case of a multiplayer with no entry token?

Is there no other way to lose? The reason I ask is that I was playing a two explorer scenario 1 game and they both died when I was in Chapter 6. I immediately chose new explorers and tried to pick up where they left off (with only half the equipment left to them). They were then going up against the level 3-4 monsters that had killed my original explorers. Then the replacement explorers died. I could keep trying this until I ran out of explorers, but this would take forever and still lead to a loss. This seems like a very anti-climatic way to end this epic game. I actually just stopped playing at that point instead of slogging through. Did I miss something, or is this the intended design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
From FAQ:
Q: Death - If an explorer dies, and the player can chose any of the remaining explorers to start with, does it mean that as a group, you have 12-15 lives in the game?

A: (from one user): “I did a solo play on normal mode. After the second player died, it became apparent that I was not going to survive the game due to the existing monsters, the monster threat and monster level, and the dwindling amount of items I had. I could have thrown all 15 explorers into the mountain one after the other, but they would have almost assuredly met the same fate that my first two explorers met. At that point, I decided to accept my defeat.”

When is the time to stop trying? I think that is the subjective matter and depends from session to session. Although, the game is a ticking game over, sometimes it is really irrational to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.