Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player count for Valley of the Kings is listed at 2-4, and I guess there are only enough starting cards to support a maximum of 4 players.

Has anyone tried playing with 5, perhaps with a second set to expand the deck a little? I'll be going on a cycle tour with 4 friends in September and I usually take a couple of light (in both senses of the word) games to play over a drink in the evening. This looks like it would go down well, but there will be 5 of us - would it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
The player count for Valley of the Kings is listed at 2-4, and I guess there only enough starting cards to support a maximum of 4 players.

Has anyone tried playing with 5, perhaps with a second set to expand the deck a little? I'll be going on a cycle tour with 4 friends in September and I usually take a couple of light (in both senses of the word) games to play over a drink in the evening. This looks like it would go down well, but there will be 5 of us - would it work?

The short answer: I think so. When designing this game, I originally had it planned for 2-6 players, and it worked well with 6. Nevertheless, the final version has never been tested with more than 4 players, so I can't guarantee it will make a good game for 5 or 6. As you pointed out, you'd have to buy an extra copy of the game to have the necessary sets of starter cards.

If you do try it with more than 4, please let me know how it turns out. You can email me at goodtimegames@live.com.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Riley

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
If you combine two sets, I don't think it would dramatically change the game or strategies. The main differences is that there will be 2 copies of each unique item and 4 copies of each other item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DevoDog wrote:
If you combine two sets, I don't think it would dramatically change the game or strategies. The main differences is that there will be 2 copies of each unique item and 4 copies of each other item.

And the game will take twice as long (1 1/2 hours).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I love VotK but it *barely* plays with 4 players. Out of the box, it's best with 2 or 3 players. To get to 5, you would have to buy a second set, or possibly a coming expansion... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.