Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just can't seem to wrap my head around some aspects of how this global should be played out in a few situations. In other posts, it has been stated that once an attacker is declared it is always an attacker and once blockers are declared they are always blockers. But a few situations that have come up have left me and the person playing confused about whether we are handling things correctly.

1. Is it accurate to assume that this global is mostly only useful (in most cases) when I, as the blocker, don't or can't block an attacking die? It seems a waste to use it if I have a character who can effectively block.

2. However, there is nothing to prevent me from blocking and then using the global (I think). So if I do block an attacker and then decide to pay a [mask] to remove that attacker back to the field, does my blocker go back to the field at the end of the attack step, to my used pile, or prep area because he's just sitting there all alone?

3. If it's true that an attacker is always an attacker, etc, etc. Then returning him to the field doesn't prevent his attack damage to my blocker during the assign damage phase??? Or are we only saying he is still an "attacker" in name but that he does no damage?

4. Continuation of #3 above, if attackers are always attackers until the end of the attack step, then wouldn't the character still deal damage to me (as the player) as well if no blocker was assigned, even though he's been removed from the attack zone?

5. Finally (for now) on page 9 of the rules it states, "Place unblocked attacking characters in the player’s used pile (even if the defending
player managed to prevent or redirect all the damage done)." Is the global considered preventing damage, resulting in moving the attacking die into the used pile at the end of the attack step?

Basically the way I would think to play it is to really only use it when I can't block; move the character back to the field where it ceases to be an attacker at all and therefore never deals damage. In the event that a blocker was assigned, the blocker would simply go back to the field as well. But I'm not sure that a correct assumption.

I appreciate any insights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way. The attacker comes into the attack zone. The blocker swoops in to block. The attacker gets "distracted" and jumps back to the field. The blocker laughs and returns to the field.

This is a good move if your blocker has a when blocking ability like Beast. He would still get to draw his dice to prep.

You can even use the distraction global on the attack. Example: Angel Avenging Angel states that if Angel attacks this turn and was not knocked out do 2 damage to your opponent. You could attack with Angel your opponent blocks with a character that would knock him out. You distract him back to the field and do 2 direct damage to your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an attacker is removed from attacking because of distraction, I would think it would stop being an attacker. That would resolve a lot of the issues you are having.

One use for using distraction even with a blocker is beast mutate #666. You can block to get the effect and then use distraction to remove the attacker so that beast survives. On the flip side, as the attacker I can attack with Punisher McRook for the effect and then use distraction to remove him so I can reuse the ability next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! It hadn't occurred to me that I could benefit from using the global on my own attackers!

It seems my initial thoughts on how to play this were mostly correct: return attacker to the field, no damage dealt (except special abilities). Blocker also goes back to the field (special abilities also apply).

Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess what threw me was the nuance between whether the character is or is not an attacker any more after applying the global. In other words, I couldn't determine whether removing the attacker implied that the attack never happened, thus canceling any effects that would take place as an attacker for the entire phase.

It seems it cancels direct damage that would be assigned during the assign damage step (and any abilities related to that) but not abilities that would activate in prior parts of the phase.

And the lonely blocker who suddenly has no one to block would just go back to the field and any applicable abilities would be applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured might be helpful to lay it out:

Black widow tsrina :enter attack/ distract deal 2 damage unless opponent rolled down character
Punisher all: enter attack select character to assassinate/ distract after blockers declared
Angel avenging angel: attack/ if blocked by character that would knock out distract and deal 2 damage
Storm ro and goddess of the plains: attack activate reroll/ distract for next turn
Cyclops if looks could kill: attack deal damage/ distract after declaring attack to clear board and use following turn
Deadpool assassin and jack( jack is better if you can get him): attack assigning blocker/ distract prior to damage and knock out character and save deadpool
Night crawler abandoned and circus freak: same as deadpool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:
1. Is it accurate to assume that this global is mostly only useful (in most cases) when I, as the blocker, don't or can't block an attacking die? It seems a waste to use it if I have a character who can effectively block.

Not necessarily. Let's say someone attacks with a heavy hitter and you block it with multiple Beasts to get the extra dice. Now you can use Distraction to remove their character from the field, effectively leaving your blockers to live until next turn and giving yourself a dice advantage next turn.

Quote:
2. However, there is nothing to prevent me from blocking and then using the global (I think). So if I do block an attacker and then decide to pay a [mask] to remove that attacker back to the field, does my blocker go back to the field at the end of the attack step, to my used pile, or prep area because he's just sitting there all alone?

Nothing says to move your blocker anywhere, so he will stay in the attack zone until the end of the attack step, when it says to move all dice back to the field.

Quote:
3. If it's true that an attacker is always an attacker, etc, etc. Then returning him to the field doesn't prevent his attack damage to my blocker during the assign damage phase??? Or are we only saying he is still an "attacker" in name but that he does no damage?

My personal opinion is that once a die leaves the attack zone, it is no longer considered an attacker or blocker. This does not contradict the "Once blocked/always blocked" rule however.

Quote:
4. Continuation of #3 above, if attackers are always attackers until the end of the attack step, then wouldn't the character still deal damage to me (as the player) as well if no blocker was assigned, even though he's been removed from the attack zone?

Same answer as above. A character that is no longer in the attack zone cannot deal combat damage as if it was.

Quote:
5. Finally (for now) on page 9 of the rules it states, "Place unblocked attacking characters in the player’s used pile (even if the defending
player managed to prevent or redirect all the damage done)." Is the global considered preventing damage, resulting in moving the attacking die into the used pile at the end of the attack step?

Again, my view is that a die is no longer considered "attacking" when removed from the attack zone, so it would not be affected by this and would simply sit in your field for use later.

Quote:
Basically the way I would think to play it is to really only use it when I can't block; move the character back to the field where it ceases to be an attacker at all and therefore never deals damage. In the event that a blocker was assigned, the blocker would simply go back to the field as well. But I'm not sure that a correct assumption.

I appreciate any insights!

I guess that works mostly, just remember you can still use it, even if you declare a blocker to that attacker, to prevent your blocker from being KO'd and any blockers still in the attack zone at the end of the attack step simply return to your field.

And there's always the option to use it on your turn, so you can attack with a die to get its "when attacking" effect and simply pull it back so it doesn't get KO'd/sent to the used pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.