Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I searched but could not see a clarification or, at least, consensus.

The wording of the card causes some confusion, and I'm certain my group has played it differently on two occasions.

The card text in question, to save you the trouble of searching it out is:

Collect available DF tokens from each revealed adjacent room as if you had just played your "Download" (or "Extract") card while in each of those rooms.

- Does it say 'collect' rather than play the Download/Extract card because it is supposed to resolve immediately like all other Item cards?
- Does it not say to play the Download/Extract card because it has to count across two rooms and causes conflict there?
- Is the mention of 'as if you had just played' purely meant to govern the amount of DF tokens you collect?

And further to that, the Resolution Phase means that some competing Download/Extract cards might not have been revealed yet. Since Items/Actions (except for Download/Extract) are resolved immediately, does that allow Signal Boost to essentially 'jump the queue' and even nullify a competing Download/Extract that has not yet been revealed or is it classed as a Download/Extract card for all intents and purposes?

In my own interpretation and after some rules-checking, it sounds like these two scenarios would resolve as follows:

Scenario 1:
Player A is in Room 1. Player B is in Room 2. Room 2 carries 4 DF tokens.

Player A is first/earlier in turn order and plays Signal Boost.
Player B plays Extract.

Player A reveals and resolves Signal Boost. Since the game hasn't gotten to Player B yet, meaning the Extract isn't revealed, Player A takes all 4 DF tokens uncontested.

Scenario 2:
Player A is in Room 1. Player B is in Room 2. Room 2 carries 4 DF tokens.

Player A is last/later in turn order and plays Signal Boost.
Player B plays Extract.

Player B goes first of the two, reveals their Extract, which is not resolved immediately. Player A reveals their Signal Boost, but now Player B's Extract is competing against it. As a result, Players A takes only 2 DF tokens. Then at the end of the Resolution Phase, assuming no further interruptions, Player B take 2 DF tokens each.

Would you say that is correct or have I grossly, hilariously gotten something wrong? It's quite possible that Scenario 2's outcome always applies if Signal Boost must also wait to resolve.

It's a hard one to explain or parse out, but especially annoying when the outcome influences a decision which then costs someone the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
HotHeart wrote:
Collect available DF tokens from each revealed adjacent room as if you had just played your "Download" (or "Extract") card while in each of those rooms.

- Does it say 'collect' rather than play the Download/Extract card because it is supposed to resolve immediately like all other Item cards?
- Does it not say to play the Download/Extract card because it has to count across two rooms and causes conflict there?
- Is the mention of 'as if you had just played' purely meant to govern the amount of DF tokens you collect?

I can't give official rules answers for this game, in fact I don't even know the actual answer.

I can tell you though that in the prototype, the way you got money from rooms was delayed until after other stuff, similar to Extract, and that particular item was just like playing the regular money-taking action in both rooms, meaning it was delayed until the regular time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good and authoritative enough explanation for me.

Thanks very much, and nice job on the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.