GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,129 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Four Tribes» Forums » Reviews

Subject: We shall make you an offer you will not refuse... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four tribes is a two player card game that bases iself on a strict alternate turn mechanic that nonetheless does not stop it from being higly strategic.

We are trying to gain the favour of the elders of four tribe's Villages. To win the game we have to win over either three elder of one tribe either one elder for each tribe. How do we convince them? As usual. We corrupt them.

Mechanics:

Every village is composed by a certain number of coloured huts and has a Elder of one of the four colours. To win the elder you have to play gift cardson either your side or your opponents side of the village.

You score the village when the correct colour and exact number of cards has been played, then the highest bidder wins the elder over.

So it is extremely important that you are always in control of the value of the village and be always ready to resort to adding a low value card to your opponents gift putting him in second position in the run to the Elder's favour.

The game:

Go for three Elders seems the easiest route, but in my experience it happens rarely that you get it right, so you will be battling card after card to get the fourth Elder's favour.

This game is short but intense. You play from 20 to 30 minutes (which makes it one perfect candidat for a lunch game)but even in the shortest period you have your money back.

There are alternate rules to render the game harder and longer, plus a minigame ( available as a free download) and already a first expansion named "solstice".

Conclusions:

Love it, love it, love it. I start really to develop an adoration forJason Glover's games. They are quick, they are deep, they are mean.

The game allows you half an hour of hard thought battle in which while you may get frustrated more than once, you never have the impression you're done and nothing can save you.

I recommend that everyone try this game out at least once. You will be conquered as I was. I'm sure.

Final vote: 9/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I can hardly wait for the game. It seems to me the best Jason has ever done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words. I am very proud of Four Tribes and I am happy to see that it plays for you just as I intended it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.