Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to see if there are wargames that I should be looking into, but there are a few considerations (for a non grognard):

1) Simulation
One of the major turnoffs for me is the direct replication of the war with plethora of rules for every potential scenario. As such I tend to stray away from simulations. I understand the draw of these types of games as a study of history and for people that have a direct interest in the topic, but for me - an admitted "C" student in history.

2) Chit Management
I'm also turned off by the tons of chit management in the larger games. I also love nice looking bits

3) Player count:
- Needs to allow for solo play (preferred)
- 3+ players is a nice to have
- 2 player (if you can play both sides without having issues with hidden information) is ok

4) Theme
I'll play generally any theme (Sci-fi, historical, fantasy, etc.)

COIN pushes the limit for me on rules, and honestly I became interested in the series because of the nice looking bits blush (minimal chit management) and my prior experience with Labyrinth (CDG). I also have Maria and LOVE the game, it just doesn't hit the table that often for me (and yes Freidrich would also be a good game, but seemingly similar to Maria, so I'm looking for other suggestions).

Are there other wargames that fit this criteria and could interest me?

Wargames I like:
- All the COIN series
- Labyrinth the War on Terror
- Maria
- LNL: Nuklear Winter '68 (I think the theme saves this one for me - chit management is also at a tolerable level)
- A Few Acres of Snow -

Wargames I've tried but didn't care for:
- LNL: A Day of Heroes - couldn't get past the rulebook
- Battles of Westeros - Nice bits, but I didn't find the gameplay that interesting and traded away my copy. As such I'm not interested in other similar games.
- The Dark Valley - I loved the map (too big for my table), but the setup and chit management made me trade this before I could get through a single scenario. This is the game that made me rethink what I wanted in a wargame

Other
Sekigahara - I traded this before I got a play of it - 2 player wargames are hard for me to find someone to play with, and with no real option to "dual hand" for solo because of hidden information I traded it. Beautiful map, blocks were great. Perhaps someday I'll get to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you want solo and 3+ and you like Sci-Fi I'd recommend Space Empires:4X.

It is a true wargame, but the rules aren't difficult (I've played it w/ non-wargamers who cught on quickly), can be played solo, or up to 4 and has variants where you play as a team vs a doomsday machine.

There is a bit of bookkeeping, but its not onerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:
Since you want solo and 3+ and you like Sci-Fi I'd recommend Space Empires:4X.

It is a true wargame, but the rules aren't difficult (I've played it w/ non-wargamers who cught on quickly), can be played solo, or up to 4 and has variants where you play as a team vs a doomsday machine.

There is a bit of bookkeeping, but its not onerous.

That sounds interesting - I don't mind the bookkeeping as long as there's a good structure for it - I'll take a look at this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Have you had a look at Navajo Wars? Might be a bit rule heavy and it does have chits. But it's a beautiful game and great for soloing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Have you had a look at Navajo Wars? Might be a bit rule heavy and it does have chits. But it's a beautiful game and great for soloing.

Yes. It looks interesting and is on my wishlist. I'm thinking this could beone of the next ones I pick up. For now I have Space Empires coming to mein the next few days.

Thanks for your recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Navajo Wars and Space Empires you already have two very good recommendations. I would also suggest the following:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition):

Player count is 2-4 and there's a solitaire expansion coming up which is based on an amazing solo system (more on that later).
The counters are big, with good artwork and their quality is probably the highest around.
There's a good amount of counters in the box but in each firefight (scenario) you only use a small amount of them.

Next one... D-Day at Omaha Beach

It's a solitaire classic. It can be played with 2 but I probably wouldn't do that.
The rules look a bit intimidating at first but, believe it or not, you can just set up the game and dive right in. You can walk through the game step by step, following the instructions.
The components are not exactly a beauty to behold but the beauty of the design makes up for that.

And my last recommendation would be Fading Glory.

It's a 2 player game based on battles of the Napoleonic era and are deluxe versions of Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series.
It's a very simple system which allows for a short playing time of about 60 minutes or less. But it has enough depth to it to make it an interesting game worth your time.
I usually don't solo wargames that weren't designed as solo games. However I did solo Fading Glory so that I could teach it properly to a wargame newbie and I must admit that I had a good time doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.