Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles newberry
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
hey guys

I'm new to this system and the ACW, so I want to make sure I do the fluke stoppage right.

When stoppage occurs Div must move to the rear where it cannot be fired upon by small arms.It must be a more secure location.

Do you use normal movement procedure?Do you have to get there in the first activity phase or can it take more than one?

It seems you could get cut to pieces having to make a facing changeand then only have five MP to get out of range.If there is no blocking terrain,exposing your rear in the open could be very bad with a pursuing attacker.

Also,if you voluntarily do fluke stoppage must it be during the command phase or can you do it during the activity phase?

If anyone can shed some light on fluke stoppage for me I greatly appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Evans
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools

When a formation fluke stops, its HQ -- whether that is a div leader or the corps HQ -- is placed anywhere you want out of the action, preferrably far enough away that you can reorganize the command without having to worry about being attacked. For example, we had a fluke stoppage for II Corps, which was attacking south of Gettysburg, and the corps HQ was placed near Barlow's Knoll. Took several GTs for all the units to get back into command range, which is one of the prerequisites for rolling to end the retreat.

Then, the units can change into column, which give units all-around facing, for 1 MP and move to rejoin the HQ. Remember, units that stay in column at the end of their move can go 8 MPs. You also have the option to take routed or DG units and move 10 hexes during that command's activation.

The column units can quickly rejoin their command, although in some situations, well-placed arty could give them some dings.

Fluke stoppage always happens during t5he activity phase -- just declare the formation is high-tailing and then start retreating.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles newberry
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply Don but,I think you what you are describing is what they call skedaddle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s newberry wrote:
When stoppage occurs Div must move to the rear where it cannot be fired upon by small arms.It must be a more secure location.

Do you use normal movement procedure?Do you have to get there in the first activity phase or can it take more than one?

Units move normally in the movement phase immediately after they fluke out. They only have to get out of small arms range, so generally they can get to their safe point in one move, but it takes as long as it needs to. Once the division is out of small arms range it reverts to a "no-orders" state.

s newberry wrote:
It seems you could get cut to pieces having to make a facing change and then only have five MP to get out of range.If there is no blocking terrain,exposing your rear in the open could be very bad with a pursuing attacker.

There is no opportunity fire, or other penalty for leaving an EZOC. There is also no requirement that the unit end its move facing away from the enemy, so you can do a second facing change and expend only 4 MP on the actual walking if you like - so there is nearly no chance that a unit will take fire from the rear during its fluke move. Fluke stoppage is not a headlong rout. Usually 4 MP is enough to either get out of small arms range or get behind some sort of blocking terrain in one phase.

The biggest danger of a fluke stoppage is to the unfluked divisions, which may unexpectedly have a dangling flank that gets cut to pieces.

s newberry wrote:
Also,if you voluntarily do fluke stoppage must it be during the command phase or can you do it during the activity phase?

There is no voluntary fluke stoppage. There IS a voluntary skedaddle, which affects the whole command - different animal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles newberry
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Angela

yea that's kinda what I thought.Just wasn't sure about what a"more secure location" entailed.

I guess what I meant with the voluntary thing was ending orders.But I can see that would take place during the activity phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
There IS Voluntary Fluke Stoppage.

All you need to do is follow the Fluke Stoppage rules - get our of small arms range/LOS, and assume No Orders situation.

We saw this in our game.

A guy decided his attack was futile - a voluntary Fluke Stoppage. He delcared it and disengaged.

The next turn he then decided that was not enough.

He then skedaddled - dropped his HQ a score hexes behind the line, placed everyone in column, and ran like hell.

4 hours (game time) we still wait for the CSA 2nd Corps to Recover from that - for the Div Commanders to roll to Deploy - to pass an initiative check.

And then they have to roll for Attack Recovery before they can accept new orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're referring to is 10.7a 5 - voluntarily ending an attack order that is futile. Units which end their order in this way move to a safe location under the rules for such movement for "fluked out" divisions (you are correct about that part of it), and, as any units who have ended an attack order, must ordinarily go through attack recovery before they can be ordered to attack again.

But that is not quite the same thing as Fluke Stoppage, which happens only by division, by die roll, and may not entail the end of an attack order. A voluntary Skedaddle or ending a futile order kills the attack orders and applies to the command operating under those orders - any previously attacking units will need to pass Attack Recovery, and the command will then need new orders. Fluked out divisions may be part of a command which is still attacking, and could rejoin that attack once they pass Attack Recovery, unless all divisions of that command have fluked out first (ending the order).

So for example, a corps of three divisions is attacking. A division gets cut up on the flank and flukes out per the fluke stoppage table. It withdraws per 10.7b. The rest of the corps must still operate under its attack orders until either all three divisions fluke before any of them recover, the objective of the attack is achieved, a Skedaddle occurs (voluntary or not,) or the player decides the whole attack is futile. Then the whole corps quits, its divisions try to pass attack recovery, and it must get new orders. If the fluked division recovers before any of those things happen, it will be back under its pre-existing attack orders and must try to get back in the fight (albeit as gingerly as the player likes). You cannot declare a voluntary fluke stoppage on one division in order to choose to break it out of enemy ZOC - you must Skedaddle or declare the attack futile and end the attack order for the whole command. The distinction is important when dealing with multi-division commands - one division doing poorly will be locked into EZOC until it flukes out by die roll (or its regiments individually retreat due to morale results), unless the player is willing to call the whole attack futile and pull back ALL of the command's divisions.

The II Corps play you described is correct and legal for ending a futile attack (which the player seems to have handled correctly - that is, all of II corps bailed), but calling that decision Fluke Stoppage muddies things up.

(edited for clarity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
but calling that decision Fluke Stoppage muddies things up.

No it does not. In fact, that is what it is; a Voluntary Fluke Stoppage.

10.7.5a Item 5.

The player chooses to end an
attack he now considers futile. The
distinction here is important—he
must consider the attack as unable
to achieve its objective, not that the
objective is no longer worthwhile or
fitting with the situation. Apply 10.7b
in this case.

10.7b Fluke Stoppage.

The finer point you bring up is correct - this Voluntary Fluke Stoppage is BY COMMAND UNDER ORDERS and NOT by Division (the involuntary fluke stoppage.)

Still it can be called a Voluntary Fluke Stoppage for lack of a term provided.

-------------

It is a relatively buried concept in the rules - and an important tool to be aware of.

Before we grasped it, we though Skedaddle was the only way out of a bad attack.

The VFS is useful in that you don't have to to roll twice to recover - one to deploy from skedaddle, the other for attack recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Still it can be called a Voluntary Fluke Stoppage for lack of a term provided.

If you want to call it that, and everyone in your game understands what you mean by it, then that's fine. But given the different command effects, it feels odd to me to borrow another (well-defined) term to describe ending a futile attack, even though the unit movement implications are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
There is no term for it in the game, that is all I am really conveying here.

We call it Voluntary Fluke Stoppage because Fluke Stoppage rules are what you follow if you as the player Voluntarily decide to use it.

Hence, VFS.

Of course, it is an oxymoronic term - voluntary fluke is like voluntary involuntary.....

A better term might come from the case itself - "Futile Stoppage"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

I seem to suffer futile stoppage in every wargame I play, sooner or later... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
groggal wrote:
Agreed.

I seem to suffer futile stoppage in every wargame I play, sooner or later... whistle

...so say we all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.