Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the link to such a great article that I would never have seen otherwise. The bit about Tom's exploits with the 3M spray-on adhesive had me LOL. I get the same stuff for my son's science projects when I'm helping him out and he's not kidding about the stickiness and the area of effect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool article! I liked reading about the painstaking process Tom went through to create the earliest editions of the game. If he hadn't possessed the passion and drive to go through all that effort, I wouldn't be enjoying my FFG edition today - and enjoy it I do. Thanks Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it was Bryce Nakagawa (purchaser of the original Wiz-War cover art in the linked story) who I hung out with a few years back at PAX Prime.

Interestingly, I had brought my huge, homemade sculpey set of Wiz-War with Kwanchai's graphics. Everything was oversized so that it barely fit in a Scene-It! box. PAX is not mainly a board gaming con. Most of the board games being played were the new hotness and Dominion, so I was embarrassed to lug this homemade monstrosity around the thronging halls of video gamers in hopes of finding someone interested in playing.

On the last day, I mentioned that I had the game in my hotel room and I remember how excited Bryce got about Wiz-War. He told me a little bit about his history with the game in California and we shared stories about the early days of Magic, too, because I had collected beta and then infamously sold my complete collection of Arabian Nights for 50 bucks.

I'm pretty sure Bryce is on BGG and that I am thinking of the right guy, so maybe he'll chime in and share a little more of his experiences with Tom Jolly and Wiz-War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for linking this... Wouldn't have read it otherwise.

Wiz-War re-ignited my passion for board gaming when I randomly bought it as a Christmas present for my cousin two years ago. Having not played board games since I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, I was blown away by the detail of modern boardgames.

That passion has resulted in my collection growing to about 30 titles since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind reposting it as a blog entry on BGG, except I'm clueless on how to do that. They have guest blog entries here, or something?
TJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Göransson
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
mb
I can't see the original post with the link. Halp plz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.leagueofgamemakers.com/a-brief-history-of-wiz-war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.