United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
What the King dreams...The Hand builds.
mbmbmbmbmb
"And what do we say to the God of Death?"

This is a variant game.

The game will use an entirely new Housecard deck. This is the second game played using this variant, and as such will help develop and refine the variant.

Although I will be playing the part of "variant" mod, posting errata etc and answering any queries, the modding will be done by the most excellent:

Jeremiah Richard
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The intention of this new deck is to provide a viable, thematic and interesting alternative to the standard arrangement.

You can follow the first game (Game A) being played here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16361677#16361677

It's important to note that the housecards are slightly different between each game. This will allow me to see which 'tweaks' are most successful.

These games are the first step in a project to make a full revamp of the decks, map, westeros and wildling cards.

If you have any questions and are not playing this game, then either pm me or post in the variant thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1202055/schminkys-total-over...

Here is the map with the revised housecards uploaded:

http://tinyurl.com/lFkPiLfmzkhwNmYcxHgi

All players and those just following the game's progression are encouraged to feedback on the housecards.

I'm also keen to discuss possible thematic starting positions for later games.

For the sake of stability and clarity for the players, I am using the standard map setup. This is purely for the sake of allowing evaluation of the cards at this stage to be as simple as possible. This will allow players to concentrate on the decks they are using and facing, rather than also familiarising themselves with map changes.

Future games may well be based on a more thematic setup.

Currently the variant discussion thread has generated a lot of interest and comment, so join in!

I have stolen Biairien's excellent PBF intro, although the housecards themselves are of course different.

INTRODUCTION

. . .

RESOURCES

Game Rules and FAQ
Rulebook PDF from FFG website.
FAQ v1.4 PDF from FFG website.
Official Responses from FFG BGG thread.
Complete FFG Video Tutorial

Map
• We will use the excellent browser map created by:
Dave Dave
msg tools

How to use the map BGG thread
• More information in the USING THE MAP section below.

PLAY BY FORUM RULES
Credit for the main structure of these rules goes to:
Alex WolfandDragon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The rules were reorganized and reformatted for easier viewing, and House, Westeros, and Wildlings cards were added in text format by:
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I. Game Overview

1. We will use the 2nd edition rules and board with the exceptions mentioned in Section IV: Rule Clarifications and House Rules. If a question is not answered in the rulebook, we will use official responses from FFG and the FAQ. If this still doesn't answer the question, I will make the call.
2. Tides of Battle Cards will not be used.
3. Ravens to other players (private messages / Geekmails / etc.) are not allowed, thus forcing all communication to be posted publicly in the thread. Lying is allowed so lie as much as you want!
4. Westeros cards will be drawn randomly using Geekrolls. The Wildlings deck will be created in advance using random.org's list randomizer and managed by the moderator.
5. Houses will be determined using Geekrolls. Feel free to exchange houses as long as both players agree.

II. Playing by Forum: The Basics

0. Use common sense. You do not need a moderator to resolve anything that does not involve a hidden feature (e.g. bidding). Do not wait for me to tell you to make your move; just check the turn order and resolve your action when it is your turn. You can also post and correct maps as needed. Of course, I will try to help keep things moving along.
1. Let's all work together and avoid unnecessary delays. Please try to check in at least once a day and do not rely only on notifications/subscriptions. Because we are using the browser map, players are encouraged to update the map on their own. (Speaking from experience, it's also a lot more fun when the game moves quickly!)
2. If you will be away from the computer and unable to participate for 2+ days, please notify the moderator and/or the entire group.
3. Players will be replaced at the moderator's and group's discretion if they have not posted in the thread or responded to Geekmail reminders for some time (~2 days, unless the group decides to wait). This is to keep the game moving at a relatively fast pace, which is more fun for everyone.
3b. It is helpful to forward your Geekmail to an email address you check regularly, so that in the worst-case scenario the moderator can Geekmail you and you will notice the Geekmail. This option is under the Settings link in your Geekmail.
4. Use normal text for regular discussions.
5. Use italics for politics and roleplaying (highly encouraged!).
6. Use bold text for in-game moves and actions.
7. If possible, do not edit game-related stuff (actions, politics). If you must, highlight the text that you edited by leaving the old text striked through (use [ - ] [ / - ] without spaces) to clear up confusion. Someone may read your original post and not notice what has been changed later.
8. To make things easier, we will address each other by our House names (for diplomacy and game actions in particular). You may address me as moderator or just as mod.
9. All players will use banners when posting. Place them at the beginning of every post. To make them appear, type in [ImageID=#######medium] where ####### are the following numbers:

Stark: 1152906

Lannister: 1152904

Baratheon: 1152902

Greyjoy: 1152903

Tyrell: 1152907

Martell: 1152905

The moderator will use a special banner:

Moderator: 1152928

Banners created by:
Pavel Kornilov
Russia
Syktyvkar
flag msg tools
badge
mb

III. Playing by Forum: Orders, Battles, Bids, Etc.

1. Submitting Orders, Bids, and House Cards: Geekmail me your orders, bids, and House cards. To help keep things clear, all Geekmails should have a subject as prescribed below.
GeekMail Subject Format wrote:
Orders:
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - Orders
Bid:
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [IT/F/KC/W] Bid: [Bid Amount]
House Card:
AGoT PBF [Game #] - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [Area Name] - [Card Name]

Example GeekMail Subjects wrote:
Examples:
AGoT PBF 123 - Round 1 - Stark - Orders
AGoT PBF 123 - Round 2 - Stark - IT Bid: 5
AGoT PBF 123 - Round 2 - Stark - Moat Cailin - Roose Bolton

1b. Since we are using the browser map, you can preview your orders on the map. Please send me your orders exactly as they should be copied and pasted into the browser map (area names spelled correctly, with a colon and the order after; you can just copy directly from the browser map to the Geekmail). I will of course try to correct syntax when it appears to be breaking the display, but it's helpful if we can get it right the first time. And remember: the responsibility for ensuring the correct order has been selected is yours. (More on this in the USING THE MAP section below.)
1c. After sending me your orders/bids/etc. via Geekmail, post in the thread that you have done so. This will help keep the game moving along.
2. Resolving Combat: To resolve combat, we will use the following steps:
(a) The attacker calculates and posts both his and the defender's initial combat strength. This includes the combat strength of both Houses' units in the embattled area, the combat strength modifier from march or defense orders (+2, +1, +0, or -1), and the combat strength of supporting units and orders from each player's own units.
(b) Both attacker and defender then ask for support from other houses. Those who wish to support any side should declare it by posting their support action in the thread in bold. If support has been declared, the supporter recomputes and posts both parties' modified combat strength. The attacker can send conditional House Cards based on whether support is granted (e.g., send Theon if Baratheon supports, otherwise send Asha).
(c) The attacker Geekmails me his chosen house card and informs everyone by posting that he has already sent his house card to the moderator.
(d) The defender Geekmails me his chosen house card AND posts it in the thread.
(e) The attacker reveals his house card by posting it in the thread.
(f) The attacker or defender may now decide if he will use his Valyrian Steel Blade token.
(g) Anyone may now recompute and post the final combat strength of both parties. Combat resolution follows.

Notes:
• Steps 2b & 2f are optional and may be skipped.
• In the interest of speeding things up, the attacker may skip Step 2b and proceed with Step 2c. In this case, support from other houses can still be declared as long as the defender has not yet Geekmailed me his house card (Step 2d). All support declared after Step 2d will no longer count.
• In Step 2g, anyone may resolve the combat without waiting for the moderator.
• Below is an example of how to post battle information. You may copy and paste this text and modify it for the current battle.
Battle for Moat Cailin wrote:
Battle for Moat Cailin

[Attacker]
Units: 3 (KN, FM)
Order: -1 (M-1)
Support: 0
Card: Send to moderator
Total: 2 + ?

[Defender]
Units: 1 (FM)
Order: 1 (D+1)
Support: 2 (SH, S+1* order)
Card: ?
Total: 4 + ?

3. Out-of-Turn Actions: Please try to refrain from out-of-turn actions. You may think that it will not affect what other players are doing, but in a game this complex, you never know what your actions might influence! If you will be away from the computer or just want to help keep the game moving, you can Geekmail me your out-of-turn orders. If you do post out-of-turn orders in the thread, you are bound to them.
4. Changes to Orders, Bids, and House Cards: I will accept changes to orders, bids, and House cards until I have a response from each player. If the last player I was waiting for already submitted their order, bid, or House card, then nothing can be changed. If an order, bid, or House card was posted in the thread, it is binding.
4b. At the same time, this is a game, so if you make a genuine mistake and want to take it back, we can allow it if the entire group agrees. But we'll try to avoid this to keep the game moving.
5. Mistakes and Errors: If you see something wrong--from the moderator or another player--let the group know right away! I will do my best to correct any mistakes as fairly as possible.

IV. Rule Clarifications and House Rules

1a. Game of Thrones Westeros II Card: Players collect one Power Token for each Port with at least one of your ships and no enemy Ships in the adjacent sea.
1b. Dark Wings, Dark Words Westeros II Card: If "Collect Power Tokens" is chosen, it will be handled the same way as the "Game of Thrones" Westeros Card.
2. Not Enough Order Tokens: This rule will be ignored completely in order to keep the game moving at a faster pace. Should this situation arise and you notice that the players after you on the Iron Throne track have not yet submitted their orders, it is good gaming style to inform those players which areas did not receive an order.
3. CP* Orders: I will assume by default that you want your CP* order to be resolved as your last CP order, thus mustering later than another player with a lower ranking on the Iron Throne track but with less CP orders. Should you wish to forfeit this advantage, please say so explicitly either in your orders or at any point during the action phase, but before the mustering happens.
4. Faulty Order Placement: If something is wrong with the orders as you submitted them to the moderator, the following ruleset is valid:
(a) if a player has more special orders on the map than allowed, extra orders are downgraded (if possible) according to alphabetical area order.
(b) extra orders left on the map after step (a) are completely removed in alphabetical area order.
(c) if after step (b) or by a player's mistake there are areas without orders, the areas remain without orders. (Note, however, that per the rules all areas must receive orders, so please do not deliberately issue invalid orders or decline to give areas orders to gain an advantage [not including the situation of not having enough order tokens].)
(d) if a player placed a forbidden order (per a Westeros III card), it is removed without replacement.
(e) if the map shows something different than what you intended, the orders as displayed on the map stand (double check your orders are what you want!).
(f) if I did catch a mistake that you've made, I will Geekmail you to notify you of your mistake and you will be able to change your orders up to the point that all the houses have sent their orders. Once all orders are in, your orders are final!
Note: Grace can be shown in cases of mistaken orders if all players agree. This is left to the moderator's and group's discretion.
5. Retreating and Ships in Port: Should you lose a battle and be forced to retreat from land that has a port, you immediately lose control of any ships in port and as such those ships do not count against your supply. Your opponent can later decide to replace or destroy them.
6. Leaving Power Tokens in Areas: Upon leaving an area, the standard and assumed play is that you have not chosen to leave a Power Token to establish control of a vacated area unless you have declared your intentions of doing so. Here is an example:
Leaving a Power Token wrote:
March-1 from Riverrun: FM to Seagard. Leave PT.

Grace may be given to players that forgot to leave a PT but had wanted to provided only a march or two have passed, provided no players object. As always, your posted orders are binding unless your opponents have mercy on you and no one objects to a revision. The moderator reserves the right of special consideration regarding this rule.

V. Final Comments

This is a game, and games are meant to be fun. Please remember this as there may be circumstances in which you become frustrated, tense, and even angry. But, this is all part of the charm and appeal of this game. Having said that, make threats and blast your opponents with insults (within reason) while posting in-game roleplaying. Try to keep out of character communication as civil as possible. And remember: Have fun!

USING THE MAP

Map Overview
• On top of the screen is a semi transparent black bar, when you move your mouse cursor over it a menu should slide down.
• There are clickable links to show/hide Power Tokens, units, and/or orders at the top of the drop-down semi-transparent black bar.
• Hovering your mouse over an order token will also cause it to temporarily disappear so you can see the units underneath. (If a unit is on top of a power token, click the "Show/hide units" text to temporarily hide the units.)
• Power Tokens are displayed on the bottom-left of the Wildlings track in the format X/Y, where X = Power Tokens currently possessed by each player and Y = Power Tokens remaining in the pool.

General Notes
• Each area should be on its own line.
• To place units or order tokens, enter the area name followed by a colon and space, then the unit name or order name. Make sure to use the correct text box.
• To remove units or order tokens, you can simply delete the units or order, but leave the area name followed by a colon and space (": "). If there is not a colon and space, it can break the display, but leaving the area names in can save time retyping them. Alternatively, you can just delete the entire line.
• To place a Power Token on the board, simply add the area to the "Powertokens in areas" box on the House Settings page. Make sure to decrease the number of available Power Tokens.
• To specify a port, add " - Port" after the area name. Make sure there is a space before and after the hyphen.
Important: Blank lines, misspellings, and extra spaces can break the display. If something isn't showing up, check for these errors. Note that the case does not matter (FM and fm both work).

Units
Footman: FM, Footman
Knight: KN, Knight
Siege Engine: SE, Siege
Ship: SH, Ship
Routed units: Add routed- before the name given above (e.g., routed-KN)
Multiple units: Separate with commas (even for multiple units of the same type) (e.g., FM, FM, KN)

Orders
Note: There are different options for entering orders (see the thread on using the map for more information if you're curious), but I think the options below are the most clear (every order shows combat strength modifier, and every starred order has a star), so please try to use these. I will try to confirm your orders are correct, but ultimately the responsibility is yours, especially since you can edit the map yourself to preview your orders.
March-1: M-1
March+0: M+0
March+1*: M+1*
Defend+1: D+1 (D is also ok)
Defend+2*: D+2*
Support: S
Support+1*: S+1*
Raid: R
Raid*: R*
Consolidate Power: CP
Consolidate Power*: CP*

House Settings
• Units, Orders, and Power Tokens boxes place units, orders, and Power Tokens on the board. For example:
House Settings in Browser Map wrote:
Units:
Dragonstone: Footman, Knight
King's Landing: KN, SE
Crackclaw Point: FM
Shipbreaker Bay: SH, routed-SH
Blackwater Bay: Ship

Orders:
Dragonstone: M+0
King's Landing: CP*
Crackclaw Point: D+1
Shipbreaker Bay: R
Blackwater Bay: S+1*

Powertokens in areas:
Kingswood
Blackwater

Influence Tracks & Dominance Tokens
• Each House, garrison, and neutral force should be on its own line.
• When a garrison or neutral force is destroyed, delete the line from the garrisons box.
• To adjust the House order on the various tracks, use the appropriate text box(es). (Try to remember to update the victory track after capturing a castle or stronghold!)
• When a dominance token (Valyrian Steel Blade or Messenger Raven) has been used for the round, you can check the appropriate box on this page to overlay a "used" indicator on the main board display.
• The round marker and Wildlings strength can also be adjusted here.

Sharing the Map
• Every time you change anything, a new tinyurl.com link should appear in the black bar at the top of the screen. Post this link in the thread. Sometimes it fails to create a valid link, so please check if you have a valid tinyurl link before submitting your post.
• Occasionally, there is no tinyurl link on the black bar. If this happens, click the Power Token display in the upper-left corner of the board to increase and then decrease the PT count (from 5/15 to 4/16 back to 5/15). This should generate the link without needing to re-enter information.

CARD REFERENCE

House Cards

[4] Robb Stark: If you are attacking and victorious, you may place a regular remaining support or defence order in the area of combat (rules permitting)
[3] Roose Bolton: 1 Sword 1 Fortification
[2] Walder Frey: If you opponent is higher on the victory track this card loses 1 combat strength. If lower, this card gains 1 combat strength.
[2] Greatjon: 2 Swords
[1] Rickard Karstark: 2 Fortifications
[1] Brynden Blackfish: Double the effect of any defence token in the embattled area
[0] Catelyn Stark: After combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (excluding this card). Your opponent's House card is not discarded, but instead returned to his hand.

[4] Tywin Lannister: If you have more Power Tokens than your opponent this card gains 1 combat strength.
[3] Ser Jaime Lannister: This card wins all combat ties irrespective of the fiefdom influence track.
[2] Prince Joffrey: If the opponent's card has a higher combat strength, this card loses 1 combat strength. If facing an opponent's card with a lower combat strength, this card gains 1 combat strength
[2] The Mountain: Three Swords
[1] Littlefinger: If your opponent has a lower position on the King's Court Influence track than you, you may swap one of your Order tokens for an unused Consolidate Power Order token (rules permitting)
[1] Tyrion Lannister: You may choose to immediately cancel the text ability of your opponent's card (if any) at the cost of 1 Power Token.
[0] Cersei Lannister: 2 Fortifications

[4] Stannis Baratheon: If victorious you may choose to improve your position on the Iron Throne influence by the number of opponent's units defeated.
[3] Davos Seaworth: 1 Sword
[2] Axel Florent : 2 Fortifications
[2] Salladhor Saan: If victorious, after battle at the cost of 1 power token per ship mustered, you may muster ships only from 1 castle or stronghold (rules permitting)
[1] Tycho Nestoris: If victorious then you may collect the same number of power tokens as your position on the victory track.
[1] Selyse Baratheon: You may choose to immediately discard any house card in your hand except “Stannis Baratheon”. The combat strength of the discarded card is added to your total.
[0] Melisandre: After combat, you may look at your opponent's hand and discard one card of your choice at the cost of 1 Power Token

[4] Balon Greyjoy: 1 Sword
[3] Victarion Greyjoy: If the combat area is a sea area then reduce the combat strength of the opponent's card by 2, to a minimum of 0.
[2] Theon Greyjoy: If you are attacking an area that contains either a Stronghold or a Castle, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon. When defending a castle or stronghold, lose 1 combat strength.
[2] Euron Crow's Eye: If attacking and victorious, immediately place and resolve a raid order in the embattled area. You may not place a previously resolved raid token.
[1] Asha Greyjoy: If attacking, you may choose to prevent the use of all support orders in areas adjacent to the embattled area.
[1] Dagmar Cleftjaw: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[0] Aeron Damphair: If Greyjoy ships attack, defend or support in this battle, you may discard up to 4 power tokens. Gain 1 combat strength for each token discarded.

[4] Renly Baratheon: If victorious you may add a footman or upgrade a footman to a knight in the area that was embattled (rules permitting)
[3] Randyl Tarly: 2 Swords
[2] Ser Loras Tyrell: All attacking (but not supporting) Tyrell knights add 3 rather than 2 combat strength.
[2] Brienne of Tarth: If “Renly Baratheon” is in your hand, gain 1 fortification. If "Renly Baratheon" is discarded, gain 1 sword
[1] Mace Tyrell: 1 Fortification
[1] Queen of Thorns: You may move down one position on an influence track to gain the following:
Iron Throne: +2 fortifications.
Fiefdoms: +2 swords.
King's Court: +2 combat strength
[0] Margaery Tyrell: Immediately gain Power tokens equal to the combat strength of your opponent's House card

[4] The Red Viper: 1 Skull, 1 Sword
[3] Gerold Dayne: 1 Swords
[2] Obara Sand: 1 Sword
[2] Quentyn Martell: 1 Fortification
[1] Arianne Martell: You may immediately cancel your opponent's house card and return it to their hand. They must then choose a different House Card (if able)
[1] Areo Hotah: If you lose this combat, you must still retreat (if able) but your units do not suffer the normal routed penalty.
[0] Doran Martell: If defeated, reduce your opponent's position on one influence track of your choice by the amount of combat strength by which they won the battle.

Westeros I Cards

3 × Supply: Adjust supply.
3 × Mustering: Muster units.
2 × Thrones of Blades [W]: Holder of the Iron Throne chooses Mustering, Supply, or no effect.
1 × Last Days of Summer [W]: Nothing happens.
1 × Winter is Coming: Reshuffle Westeros I deck.
[W] = Wildlings increase in power

Westeros II Cards

3 × Clash of Kings: Bid power tokens on influence tracks.
3 × Game of Thrones: Gain power tokens.
2 × Dark Wings, Dark Words [W]: Holder of the Messenger Raven chooses Clash of Kings, Game of Thrones, or no effect.
1 × Last Days of Summer [W]: Nothing happens.
1 × Winter is Coming: Reshuffle Westeros II deck.

Westeros III Cards

3 × Wilding Attack: Bid power tokens to fend off Wildling Attack.
1 × Sea of Storms [W]: No Raid orders.
1 × Rains of Autumn [W]: No March+1* orders.
1 × Feast for Crows [W]: No Consolidate Power orders.
1 × Web of Lies [W]: No Support orders.
1 × Storm of Swords [W]: No Defense orders.
2 × Put to the Sword: Holder of the Valyrian Steel Blade chooses Rains of Autumn, Sea of Storms, or no effect.

Wildlings Cards

• Crow Killers
• The Horde Descends
• A King Beyond the Wall
• Mammoth Riders
• Massing on the Milkwater
• Preemptive Raid
• Rattleshirt's Raiders
• Silence at the Wall
• Skinchanger Scout

Crow Killers
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Replaces all of their available Knights with available Footmen. Any Knight unable to be replaced is destroyed.
- Everyone Else: Replaces 2 of their Knights with available Footmen. Any Knight unable to be replaced is destroyed.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: May immediately replace up to 2 Footmen, anywhere, with available Knights.

The Horde Descends
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Destroys 2 of his units at one of his Castles or Strongholds. If unable, destroys 2 of his units anywhere.
- Everyone Else: Destroys 1 of their units anywhere.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: May muster forces (following normal mustering rules) in any one Castle or Stronghold area you control.

A King Beyond the Wall
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Moves his token to the lowest position on every Influence track.
- Everyone Else: In Iron Throne turn order, each player chooses either the Fiefdoms or the King's Court Influence track, and moves their token to the lowest position on that track.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: Moves their token to the top of the Influence track of their choice, then takes the appropriate Dominance token.

Mammoth Riders
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Destroys 3 of their units anywhere.
- Everyone Else: Destroys 2 of their units anywhere.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: May retrieve 1 House card of their choice from their discard pile.

Massing on the Milkwater
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: If you have more than one House card in your hand, discard all cards with the highest combat strength.
- Everyone Else: If they have more than one House card in their hand, they must choose and discard one of those cards.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: Returns their entire House card discard pile to their hand.

Preemptive Raid
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Chooses one of the following: (A) Destroys 2 of their units anywhere; or, (B) Is reduced 2 positions on their highest Influence track.
- Everyone Else: Nothing happens.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: The wildlings immediately attack again with a strength of 6. You do not participate in this attack (no reward nor penalties).

Rattleshirt's Raiders
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Is reduced 2 positions on the Supply track (to no lower than 0)
- Everyone Else: Is reduced 1 position on the Supply track (to no lower than 0)
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: Is increased 1 position on the Supply track (to no higher than 6)

Silence at the Wall
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Nothing happens.
- Everyone Else: Nothing happens.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: Nothing happens.

Skinchanger Scout
Wildling Victory
- Lowest Bidder: Discards all available Power tokens.
- Everyone Else: Discards 2 available Power tokens, or as many as they are able.
Night's Watch Victory
- Highest Bidder: All Power tokens bid on this attack are immediately returned to his available Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata

Abilities involving order tokens

If your card has an ability to place a new order token, such as Robb Stark, LittleFinger or Balon Greyjoy, that order token must not be forbidden for use in that round by any Westeros card drawn.

If so, you may not place that token.

Timing of text abilities

1. Any “Ignore” or “Cancel” text abilities are first resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track.

2. Any "Immediately" text abilities are then resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track (e.g "Arianne Martell" or "Selyse Baratheon")

3. Other conflicting text abilities are then resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track (e.g "Aeron Damphair" or "Queen of Thorns")

4. After the outcome of combat is determined, any “win/lose this combat...” text abilities are resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track. The text ability of the first card is implemented completely before that of the second card.

Euron Greyjoy

This card does not allow the placement of a fourth raid token i.e the placement of three raid tokens and then the placement and use of a fourth through Balon. It also does not allow the repeated placement of a special raid token i.e a special raid token being placed (whether resolved or not) in the 'raids' phase, and then placed again in the 'action' phase.

Victarion Greyjoy

When resolved, this card reduces their opponent's CS to a minimum of 0.

Catelyn Stark

Stark has his discarded cards (except "Catelyn Stark")returned to their hand after combat has been resolved.

If Stark's opponent played their last card in combat against the "Catelyn Stark" card, this card is returned to their hand and they do not refresh their hand as normal.

Asha Greyjoy

Asha's ability extends to all adjacent support orders placed by all players, including those belonging to Greyjoy.

Brynden the Blackfish

This ability only affects Stark defence order tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invited Players

1. Roftie - Accepted
2. Charemski - Accepted
- Perrytom - Declined (this time)
3. TheKnightofCups - Accepted
- Vardaine - holiday
- Mic4Christ - declined
4. Schminky - Accepted
- CaptDraino - declined
- Blakmage86 - declined
5. sj02022 - Accepted
6. Pigeon34 - Accepted

Various other players invited on first come first served basis.

If you wish to play, still post in the thread. I will organise a 'Game C' if there is enough interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Ben,

The condition for Littlefinger's ability still needs to be updated in your first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Moderator checking in! Not sure how everything is going to work here. I know I'll be relying on Schminky for clarifications and advice and possibly other issues. I'm not sure if he is going to play yet, but I'm sure he'll be a big part of this PBF either way.

Please make sure you give him plenty of feedback regarding the House Cards, how they work together as a deck, how they work against other decks, how the Influence Tracks might be tweaked, etc. Hopefully we can have a great set of new cards that will play very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
I don't have the greatest of imaginations, so I think the cards look okay for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been working on updating the house card images with the tweaks for this game.

I will post them tonight hopefully into the map.

WIP: http://tinyurl.com/94JYhU5dS3Ld8dbQmgsp

A few cards left to finish tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Charem
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Will look up the cards when I finf some spare time. But gennerally it looks very interesting Perhaps Stark too powerfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charemski wrote:
I'm in.

Will look up the cards when I finf some spare time. But gennerally it looks very interesting Perhaps Stark too powerfull.

Great!

I find your feelings about Stark interesting as most have felt the southern houses might have the edge. However, I believe not everyone had considered the consequences of Catelyn's ability, and I have upgraded Greatjon's slightly. A lot will depend on the successful use of Robb and Cat I suspect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schminky wrote:
Aeron Damphair, Queen of Thorns, Selyse Baratheon.

In combat where these cards are used against one another, the attacking house must declare the use of their ability first.

i.e Greyjoy attacks Redwyne Straights and reveals Aeron Damphair as their card.

Tyrell defends and uses Queen of Thorns.

The Greyjoy player must resolve the use of his ability first, and then Tyrell must resolve the use of the Queen of Thorns' card ability

Prince Joffrey

His CS is calculated after abilities which may enhance or reduce CS his opponent's have been applied.

e.g Stark attacks Lannister.

Stark has 4 castles/strongholds to Lannister's 2.

Walder Frey's CS is 2+1=3 due to this.

Joffrey's ability is then resolved. In this case his CS is reduced by 1.

I don't quite follow why you are trying to introduce special rules for something that is already covered by the core rules. When two house card abilities have a timing conflict, then the conflicting text abilities are resolved in the player order of the IT track. Why try to change this?

The example of the QoT against Aeron is incorrect, since the QoT's text ability contains the word "immediately", which means that QoT will always be resolved before Aeron. If Lannister is higher on the IT track than Stark, then Joffrey should be resolved before Walder.

I suspect that the timings of these cards will have to be observed during these test games, to see what makes the most sense for each ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roftie wrote:
Schminky wrote:

In combat where these cards are used against one another, the attacking house must declare the use of their ability first.

The Greyjoy player must resolve the use of his ability first, and then Tyrell must resolve the use of the Queen of Thorns' card ability

Prince Joffrey

His CS is calculated after abilities which may enhance or reduce CS his opponent's have been applied.

I don't quite follow why you are trying to introduce special rules for something that is already covered by the core rules. When two house card abilities have a timing conflict, then the conflicting text abilities are resolved in the player order of the IT track. Why try to change this?

The example of the QoT against Aeron is incorrect, since the QoT's text ability contains the word "immediately", which means that QoT will always be resolved before Aeron. If Lannister is higher on the IT track than Stark, then Joffrey should be resolved before Walder.

I suspect that the timings of these cards will have to be observed during these test games, to see what makes the most sense for each ability.

Agreed. "Cancel" first, then "immediately", and then we could go with attacker/defender. But, it's up to you my man

You being Schminky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roftie wrote:
Schminky wrote:

Prince Joffrey

Fair point regarding core rules and timing Roftie. This is why I need people such as yourself to keep me focussed and on my toes!

I will edit the errata regarding the timing rules and return to them to the core rules.

Regarding wording such as QoT 'immediately' though things are a bit less hard and fast. Unlike the original cards, these are in the process of being refined. I'm keen for people to question and challenge the wording. Perhaps it should not read 'immediately'. This is a developing deck and as such (particularly as the game hasn't started yet) there's an opportunity to discuss and tweak cards.

Or perhaps Aeron and QoT should both read immediately and thus the IT order will decide (I'm playing devils advocate here) IT order is neat and easy to understand (I don't know why I started straying away from it to be honest, too much time thinking about these cards perhaps!)

Unlike some variants which are just posted and then left to idle, this one is intended to evolve until it reaches a point of generally accepted playability, fun and balance.

Feedback such as yours is pivotal in achieving this, so keep it coming!

I've already had several "opening theories" sent to me from Game A. It would be good to get this one going soon.

Vardaine wants to play but is away on holiday, and Mic4Christ is busy, so I will step in (unless anyone objects) and I shall ask for anyone else to post in the thread and get this started!

Updated Map: http://tinyurl.com/8E7C190C6tLmhZOrWLZS

Please check to see for errors. I'm currently producing two slightly different card sets for each game and it's easy to mix them up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Checking some of the cards:

[2] Salladhor Saan: If victorious, after battle at the cost of 1 Power Token you may muster ships only from 1 castle or stronghold (rules permitting).
In your version 1.1 cards, you had changed Salladhor Saan's ability to cost 1 PT per ship, but then later changed it back to only 1 PT again. Was this reversion intended? I was under the impression that you had wanted it to be 1 PT per ship too.

On the map you have:
[1] Tyrion: You may choose to prevent your opponent using the text ability of their card at the cost of 1 power token.

You should change this to use the established wording for this particular timing (ignore/cancel):
[1] Tyrion: You may choose to ignore the text ability of your opponent's House card at the cost of 1 Power token.

For Catelyn, I think her wording might be clearer as follows:
[1] Catelyn: After combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (excluding this card). Your opponent's House card is not discarded, but instead returned to his hand.

In your first post of this thread, you include "immediately" in the QoT's text, but on the map "immediately" is omitted from her text. Which version do you intend to use?

In terms of timing:
-- Walder Frey is probably good as it is, since it is a new ability.
-- Prince Joffrey/Joffrey Baratheon is also new, so I would say leave it like it is for now.
-- Selyse's ability originates from ACOK (Doran), where the ability already had the word "immediately" included, so I think it is good for her to start with this wording.
-- Aeron's ability originates from ADWD, where the ability did not have the word "immediately", so I think that it is good that it also starts without this wording.
-- Margaery's ability comes from ASOS (Melisandre) where the ability had the word "immediately", so I think it is fine to have the same wording again.
-- Queen of Thorns: I think this card could allow for more emergent play if it did not contain "immediately" in its text. Consider the following scenarios:
Lannister (Joffrey) vs Tyrell (QoT): a) Lannister higher on IT track means Joffrey becomes 3 CS and QoT has the option to boost herself to 3 CS as well; b) Tyrell higher on IT track means QoT has the option to boost herself to 3 CS first, which would make Joffrey have 1 CS. If QoT has "immediately" in her wording, only b) could ever happen.

If you don't want Joffrey's ability to be affected by the text abilities of opposing cards that change their CS, then Joffrey's CS should just be compared to the printed combat strength of the opponent's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roftie wrote:
Checking some of the cards:

[2] Salladhor Saan: If victorious, after battle at the cost of 1 Power Token you may muster ships only from 1 castle or stronghold (rules permitting).
In your version 1.1 cards, you had changed Salladhor Saan's ability to cost 1 PT per ship, but then later changed it back to only 1 PT again. Was this reversion intended? I was under the impression that you had wanted it to be 1 PT per ship too.

On the map you have:
[1] Tyrion: You may choose to prevent your opponent using the text ability of their card at the cost of 1 power token.

You should change this to use the established wording for this particular timing (ignore/cancel):
[1] Tyrion: You may choose to ignore the text ability of your opponent's House card at the cost of 1 Power token.

For Catelyn, I think her wording might be clearer as follows:
[1] Catelyn: After combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (excluding this card). Your opponent's House card is not discarded, but instead returned to his hand.

In your first post of this thread, you include "immediately" in the QoT's text, but on the map "immediately" is omitted from her text. Which version do you intend to use?

In terms of timing:
-- Walder Frey is probably good as it is, since it is a new ability.
-- Prince Joffrey/Joffrey Baratheon is also new, so I would say leave it like it is for now.
-- Selyse's ability originates from ACOK (Doran), where the ability already had the word "immediately" included, so I think it is good for her to start with this wording.
-- Aeron's ability originates from ADWD, where the ability did not have the word "immediately", so I think that it is good that it also starts without this wording.
-- Margaery's ability comes from ASOS (Melisandre) where the ability had the word "immediately", so I think it is fine to have the same wording again.
-- Queen of Thorns: I think this card could allow for more emergent play if it did not contain "immediately" in its text. Consider the following scenarios:
Lannister (Joffrey) vs Tyrell (QoT): a) Lannister higher on IT track means Joffrey becomes 3 CS and QoT has the option to boost herself to 3 CS as well; b) Tyrell higher on IT track means QoT has the option to boost herself to 3 CS first, which would make Joffrey have 1 CS. If QoT has "immediately" in her wording, only b) could ever happen.

If you don't want Joffrey's ability to be affected by the text abilities of opposing cards that change their CS, then Joffrey's CS should just be compared to the printed combat strength of the opponent's card.

Roftie - You are proving invaluable. A lot of the above I had ether considered briefly or is the result of me rushing through trying to get something uploaded or written, but you taking the time to write this is extremely useful.

I have not deliberately sought to copy or transcribe any abilities from expansions (I don't own any and have not played any) although it appears clear some are very similar.

In short, I agree with all your suggestions regarding timing.

I also agree with your Tyrion and Catelyn suggestions too.

It will probably be tomorrow night before I can make these text alterations.

Regarding Salladhor, I did forsee he would be a 1 PT per ship ability, however I wanted to playtest it in its original format in order to test Baratheon's balance.

Depending on player feedback, I'm open to either ability cost being used.

Thanks again for all your thoughts Roftie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey Ben,

I'm assuming our roster is not yet finalized. I figure it isn't important which one of us does the House rolls, so if the roster fills up and you're up for it then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronyThrown wrote:

Hey Ben,

I'm assuming our roster is not yet finalized. I figure it isn't important which one of us does the House rolls, so if the roster fills up and you're up for it then go for it.

Sure,

I' awaiting a few replies and need at least 1 more player. The other PBF filled up pretty much instantly. I will give those invited 24 hours before opening up all the spaces.

Regarding house rolls, yep, whoever is available at the time can do it.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schminky wrote:
I have not deliberately sought to copy or transcribe any abilities from expansions (I don't own any and have not played any) although it appears clear some are very similar.

If you came up with all these card abilities without looking at previous expansions for inspiration, that would be quite astonishing. wow

Schminky wrote:
Regarding Salladhor, I did forsee he would be a 1 PT per ship ability, however I wanted to playtest it in its original format in order to test Baratheon's balance.

Currently the two Baratheon decks of games A and B are identical. You will already be able to test the balance of Salladhor's original format in game A. Therefore you could save time and test Salladhor's second proposed wording (1 PT per ship) in game B concurrently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roftie wrote:
Schminky wrote:

If you came up with all these card abilities without looking at previous expansions for inspiration, that would be quite astonishing. wow

Schminky wrote:

Currently the two Baratheon decks of games A and B are identical. You will already be able to test the balance of Salladhor's original format in game A. Therefore you could save time and test Salladhor's second proposed wording (1 PT per ship) in game B concurrently...

I'm sure I will have seen other cards floating around these boards, and certainly looked at lots of different variants when writing these, but I did not look at the expansions in particular Roftie.

Your point is true regarding Baratheon, although his neighbours cards have been tweaked so it's not an identical trial. If players feel strongly either way then I'm more than happy to tweak Salladhor.

I'm more interested in getting some responses from players regarding playing! Game A is rollicking through at a great pace and I had ambitions the games could run relatively concurrently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Charem
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all sorry if I repeat questions stated in your topic Schminky, but I have really no time for reading it all.

Baratheon:
Lack of Saladhor could be breach in defence but Selyse can help.

Greyjoy:
Does Victarion reduce to minimum 0 or it can reduce 0 to -2?

Lannister:
I think their cards are not better and Greyjoys aren't worse which make me doubt about balance between Lannister-Greyjoy - which wasn't ok already in the base game.
I think Littlefinger's (is he a Lannister?) ability is the weakest one in Variant

Martell
Deck that I like the most here, but little less powerfull due to Arianne's change.

Stark
Like I said - it's overpowered! Walder is second 4CS, Robb is the most dangerous card in the Variant and combining Starks starting position and statistics (house that win the most) with Cathelyn and Blackfish defending and counter-attacking abilities - they are overpowered

Tyrell
Second strongest deck. It has an upper hand in eternal Martell-Tyrell struggle, but it can be a lot of fun when it will come to battles between Doran and QoT and Margaery. Which card ability is resolved first in those battles?

Generally lots of changes have abilities triggered when attacking and/or victorius which will make the game aggresive (good), but in my opionion less startegy based (bad) as you have to win generally.

Nevertheless - can't wait to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since you seem to be still busy with the cards, Ben, here are some more observations/suggestions regarding possible improvements.

I think Tyrell has access to too many fortification icons when compared to the other houses. All the other houses have only a single card with fortification icons, except Stark that has two cards, whereas Tyrell has three cards that can have fortification icons. I suggest that Mace Tyrell be given only 1 fortification icon. This way, if Tyrell needs to play more than one fortification, he would have to sacrifice the QoT to get them. I think this would balance Tyrell better.

Regarding Robb and Euron, I think it may be better for balance if their abilities revolved around the use of only regular order tokens (i.e. special orders are not allowed to be used in the ability):
[4] Robb Stark: If you are attacking and win this battle, you may immediately place an unused regular Support or Defence Order token in the embattled area (rules permitting).
[2] Euron Crow's Eye: If you are attacking and win this battle, you may immediately place and resolve a regular Raid Order token in the embattled area (rules permitting).

For Robb, this brings his ability more in line with the original wording from ASOS (Mace Tyrell). It's already a good ability; the use of special orders in conjunction with it would perhaps make it too strong.

For Euron, this also brings his ability more in line with the original wording from AGOT 1st Ed (Asha Greyjoy). It would also simply feel wrong if Greyjoy could use the same starred order twice in a single round (first in the raid phase, and then again in the action phase through Euron).

Regarding Littlefinger, I think what makes his ability interesting is that it could include the use of the special consolidate power order, which in itself is a very versatile order. This way, Lannister would not only be able to gather power tokens where it is safe, but also muster units if he chooses to place a special consolidate power order.

charemski wrote:
Stark
Walder is second 4CS... combining Starks starting position and statistics (house that win the most)...

Walder can only become 3 CS...

Those statistics are meaningless here, since house cards play a big role in what a house is capable of doing. This variant changes all the house cards, so a new reference point of balance should emerge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roftie wrote:
Since you seem to be still busy with the cards, Ben, here are some more observations/suggestions regarding possible improvements.

I think Tyrell has access to too many fortification icons when compared to the other houses. All the other houses have only a single card with fortification icons, except Stark that has two cards, whereas Tyrell has three cards that can have fortification icons. I suggest that Mace Tyrell be given only 1 fortification icon. This way, if Tyrell needs to play more than one fortification, he would have to sacrifice the QoT to get them. I think this would balance Tyrell better

Agreed. I was considering fortifications this morning (although more with stark in mind) this seems a sensible alteration. It's also a good example of the ripple effect of changing house card abilities. Before QoT ability was decided, Mace seemed correct. Now QoT has been changed, Mace needs a tweak.

Particularly when Martell has their double sword removed it seems apt.

Quote:
Regarding Robb and Euron, I think it may be better for balance if their abilities revolved around the use of only regular order tokens (i.e. special orders are not allowed to be used in the ability):
[4] Robb Stark: If you are attacking and win this battle, you may immediately place an unused regular Support or Defence Order token in the embattled area (rules permitting).
[2] Euron Crow's Eye: If you are attacking and win this battle, you may immediately place and resolve a regular Raid Order token in the embattled area (rules permitting).

For Robb, this brings his ability more in line with the original wording from ASOS (Mace Tyrell). It's already a good ability; the use of special orders in conjunction with it would perhaps make it too strong.

For Euron, this also brings his ability more in line with the original wording from AGOT 1st Ed (Asha Greyjoy). It would also simply feel wrong if Greyjoy could use the same starred order twice in a single round (first in the raid phase, and then again in the action phase through Euron)

I believe that both cards should not allow the repeat of special orders. For example Euron should not allow the repeat use of a special raid, as you noted. However when I wrote Balon/Euron's ability it was with the removal of defence as well as cp and support orders in mind. I'd like to see that ability retained (at least for a few playtests)

With Robb, I'm not sure he's quite as powerful as some believe, but am willing to consider this change to non special orders. Stark has had some buffing in other areas, and I think Catelyn is a pretty powerful card too.

Quote:
Regarding Littlefinger, I think what makes his ability interesting is that it could include the use of the special consolidate power order, which in itself is a very versatile order. This way, Lannister would not only be able to gather power tokens where it is safe, but also muster units if he chooses to place a special consolidate power order.

Completely agree. I think he's a very interesting and useful card to have. Particularly as Lannister is positioned so close to those Greyjoy sea areas they are vulnerable to raids from. I don't agree with the view that he is weak at all.
Quote:

charemski wrote:
Stark
Walder is second 4CS... combining Starks starting position and statistics (house that win the most)...

Walder can only become 3 CS...

Those statistics are meaningless here, since house cards play a big role in what a house is capable of doing. This variant changes all the house cards, so a new reference point of balance should emerge.

A very good point there Roftie. This variant is meant to be all encompassing. I will write about the base game statistics and in particular how geography plays a large part in this at some point (probably whenever I start to tackle the map overhaul!) but in essence, these cards should encourage new interactions, strategies and hopefully results.

As a note however, Game A saw almost entirely standard openings from every house...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey Ben,

Your guys that are 5-6 on the invite roster have both declined invitations to one of my games recently due to lack of time or something similar. One of them will be finishing his other PBF somewhat soon...I think you know who I mean

If you don't mind I could advertise this PBF in the other games I'm modding, perhaps that would help fill the game up. I'm surprised we're still waiting for more players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronyThrown wrote:

Hey Ben,

Your guys that are 5-6 on the invite roster have both declined invitations to one of my games recently due to lack of time or something similar. One of them will be finishing his other PBF somewhat soon...I think you know who I mean

If you don't mind I could advertise this PBF in the other games I'm modding, perhaps that would help fill the game up. I'm surprised we're still waiting for more players

Yes that would be great! cool

I'm somewhat surprised we've had no luck too, especially considering how much enthusiasm everyone is showing in the other game!

I'm working on the final set of card images this morning, so any further tweaks will be left until Game A or B finishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Knee
United Kingdom
Castle Black
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charemski wrote:
First of all sorry if I repeat questions stated in your topic Schminky, but I have really no time for reading it all.

No problem, it's becoming a long thread and the game hasn't started yet!

Quote:
Baratheon:
Lack of Saladhor could be breach in defence but Selyse can help.

Yes - Selyse is a very powerful card, good to see other players recognise that.

Quote:
Greyjoy:
Does Victarion reduce to minimum 0 or it can reduce 0 to -2?

To a minimum of 0. I may need to look at the wording of that card.

Quote:
Lannister:
I think their cards are not better and Greyjoys aren't worse which make me doubt about balance between Lannister-Greyjoy - which wasn't ok already in the base game.
I think Littlefinger's (is he a Lannister?) ability is the weakest one in Variant

As mentioned previously I think Littlefinger's a great card. Tyrion too is highly powerful, and with Greyjoy having less 'brutish' cards (like the old Balon and Victarion) an Ironborn player will need to use Aeron to get an upper hand, but in doing so will strengthen Tywin.

Quote:
Martell
Deck that I like the most here, but little less powerfull due to Arianne's change.

Stark
Like I said - it's overpowered! Walder is second 4CS, Robb is the most dangerous card in the Variant and combining Starks starting position and statistics (house that win the most) with Cathelyn and Blackfish defending and counter-attacking abilities - they are overpowered

AS Roftie noted, Walder is a 3 CS, and measures are being taken to reduce Robb's strength somewhat. Catelyn is very strong, but her use can be exploited (if anticipated properly) by an opposing player.

Quote:
Tyrell
Second strongest deck. It has an upper hand in eternal Martell-Tyrell struggle, but it can be a lot of fun when it will come to battles between Doran and QoT and Margaery. Which card ability is resolved first in those battles?

We had a bit of debate about this earlier in the thread Charemski, but settled on using the IT throne as basis of deciding the order (as in the base game where their are timing conflicts)

Roftie's suggestion to downgrade Mace will help a little. I have concerns regarding the geography of Tyrell's postion, and rarely see them win without a mad Loras dash. Without Loras's original ability, a Tyrell player now will have to develop a different strategy.

Quote:
Generally lots of changes have abilities triggered when attacking and/or victorius which will make the game aggresive (good), but in my opionion less startegy based (bad) as you have to win generally.

On some decks, particularly Greyjoy, you are quite correct regarding the emphasis on attacking. I would say there is still plenty of strategy to be considered, but there is still opportunity for some clever retreats, particularly with Areo and some of the Stark cards.

Quote:
Nevertheless - can't wait to play it!

That's the most important thing! Me too!

NOTE: I've updated the roster at the top of this page with the discussed improvements and updated the errata too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schminky wrote:
Timing of text abilities

1. Any “Ignore” or “Cancel” text abilities are first resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track. Although his card reads "prevent", the "Tyrion Lannister" card should be treated as having this affect.
3. Other conflicting text abilities are then resolved in the player order of the Iron Throne track (e.g "Aeron Damphair" or "Margaery Tyrell")

You have already corrected Tyrion's wording to coincide with the rulebook.

Margaery contains "immediately" in her text for this game. A better example next to Aeron Damphair would be the Queen of Thorns.

Schminky wrote:
Balon Greyjoy

This card does not allow the use of a fourth raid token i.e the use of three raid tokens and then the use of a fourth through Balon. It also does not allow the repeated use of a special raid token i.e a special raid token being used in the 'raids' phase, and then placed again in the 'action' phase.

What constitutes the "use of" a raid order token? Does it mean:

a) placing a raid order token on the board during the planning phase (thereby also counting raid order tokens that are simply discarded during the raid phase); or
b) resolving a raid order and actually removing an adjacent order token with it?

I assume it has to be (a)?

Oh yes, you should probably change Balon to Euron...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [35] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.