United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Thunderstone and Thunderstone Advance (various sets) several times w/ different set-ups. I use the hardest version of the solo rules (refill or advance dungeon every turn). I find the solo game to be too easy and fairly one-dimensional. Basically, buy up the cards/heroes that let you draw more cards and only kill the higher value monsters.

Are there any variants to make it harder or more strategical? I really want to like Thunderstone solo, as I enjoy deckbuilders and this one has the best theme, IMHO. But it's just not holding my interest. Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The solo rules have three changes to increase to Warrior difficulty, and one change for Nightmare difficulty. In addition...

Are you playing on the Dungeon side of the board, rather than the Wilderness? Assuming you are playing where a monster doesn't escape when you've just defeated a monster, you could ratchet up the tension by having a monster escape regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always up the difficulty level with the harder modes as suggested in the rulebooks, or come up with your own handicaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're leaving out a lot of information that could help people figure out why the game seems so easy.

How are you randomizing what cards are active in the game? Are you choosing some cards, using a system to make sure you're not getting all of the same types of heroes or village items? Some heroes are naturally a better investment for your money than others and if you are picking these heroes on purpose then you are intentionally making the game easier for yourself.

Are you making sure that the banned cards are not making it into the game? What I mean is there are a few cards that are not suggested for solo play for the sole reason that they are designed to remove monsters from the hall.

Are you making sure that your trophies go into your discard pile and are not set aside? Trophies clogging your deck is one of the balancing features of the game. If you're keeping your trophies separate then your deck doesn't get cluttered up like its supposed to.

Are you advancing the monsters every turn that you do not go to the dungeon? Monsters should be leaving the dungeon quite often. If you haven't gone to the dungeon within four turns then the monsters should already be escaping.

Are you discarding your purchases when you get them? On a similar note are you discarding your entire hand at the end of each turn? Each turn you should only start with six cards.

Are you using the number in the middle of the card as the cost when purchasing? Remember the coin symbol is how much gold the card provides when you go to town. Most level one heroes range in cost from four to eight. If you manage to buy two in the first two turns then you are probably doing something wrong.

When upgrading heroes are you destroying the hero that was upgraded? If you level up a level one to a level two then you should be removing the level one from the game.

I wish there was more to go on. Without more information we pretty much have to assume that you are doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
You're leaving out a lot of information that could help people figure out why the game seems so easy.

How are you randomizing what cards are active in the game? Are you choosing some cards, using a system to make sure you're not getting all of the same types of heroes or village items? Some heroes are naturally a better investment for your money than others and if you are picking these heroes on purpose then you are intentionally making the game easier for yourself.

Are you making sure that the banned cards are not making it into the game? What I mean is there are a few cards that are not suggested for solo play for the sole reason that they are designed to remove monsters from the hall.

Are you making sure that your trophies go into your discard pile and are not set aside? Trophies clogging your deck is one of the balancing features of the game. If you're keeping your trophies separate then your deck doesn't get cluttered up like its supposed to.

Are you advancing the monsters every turn that you do not go to the dungeon? Monsters should be leaving the dungeon quite often. If you haven't gone to the dungeon within four turns then the monsters should already be escaping.

Are you discarding your purchases when you get them? On a similar note are you discarding your entire hand at the end of each turn? Each turn you should only start with six cards.

Are you using the number in the middle of the card as the cost when purchasing? Remember the coin symbol is how much gold the card provides when you go to town. Most level one heroes range in cost from four to eight. If you manage to buy two in the first two turns then you are probably doing something wrong.

When upgrading heroes are you destroying the hero that was upgraded? If you level up a level one to a level two then you should be removing the level one from the game.

I wish there was more to go on. Without more information we pretty much have to assume that you are doing something wrong.

One neat thing about the solo version of TS (and I presume TS: Advance works the same way) is there is score, as opposed to either "I won" or "the game won". Sharing the score you (@OP) got vs. the game will help quantify your plays and give us some more insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. I'm not getting any rules wrong (I use the randomizer cards or the app, don't used banned cards, put trophies in deck, always refill or advance, only use dungeon side of board, always discard hand/bought cards, use correct purchasing cost, destroy leveled-up heroes, and so on). Rules comprehension isn't the issue here.

Scores tend to be close, w/ me winning by around ten to twenty points, but consistently and winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.