Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: A question for those who play (or attempt to play) wargames with their kids. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is an almost 17 yr old high schooler. He very much enjoys playing all types of games, although he can’t miss at least an hour a day on the PlayStation. However, we always try to play a game together at least once a week mainly for the father/son time - the problem is that this gaming session has to fit into his busy schedule which boils down to about 2-3 hours max. Gaming complexity is not a problem, since I have taught him GBoH and we have played several small scenarios on the rare day when we have the luxury of extra time. I have attempted to play many different types of wargames with him. We (actually he) have several favorites in my collection including C&C (any flavor), Julius Caesar, Rommel in the Desert, Hold the Line, Storm Over Stalingrad, and sometimes, a short (very short) CC scenario with our own house rules to speed up play. Looking back at our plays in the last year, however, he almost always asks to play C&C (including last night when we played Plataea). This morning I asked him why he likes C&C so much and his replies were: easy to set up, easy to learn, never having to look at the rules (a GBoH and CC problem), fast play, fun play and typically a tense game (our game last night went down to the last die roll). Fortunately, C&C has hundreds of scenarios which we can play, so variety is not much of problem.

My question: am I missing some other game or game system which would satisfy his reasons for liking C&C so much? Don’t list Memoir ’44, because I have it and it just never clicked for us. I have also tried a bunch of the VPG games, but these also haven't had the same appeal. I have been playing two Revolution Games’ selections recently (Celles, Gazala) and these show some promise, although my plays have typically been longer than our time allowance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly consider Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. IMHO, the best tactical game out there and it meets all of your other criteria. Lucky you are to have a son who wargames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, what makes a good game is tension, so that's what I rate highest. Although Storm over Stalingrad is a good game, there are at least three other similar games that provide more tension - Breakout: Normandy, Twilight Struggle, and Wilderness War. Paths of Glory is fantastic, but takes a few plays to appreciate. Personally, if I were you, I'd be going more toward hex-n-counter, something like Bitter Woods, or Ardennes '44 (or it's brother Normandy '44).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My only success, although I have never tried 'proper' wargames, was GMT's Twilight Struggle with my 14 year old daughter.

I guess it ticked most of the boxes your son mentioned - easy to set up, easy(ish) rules and relatively fast play times. Although we just used to do one full or two turns a night, and play it over a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Chouza
Mexico
Tijuana
Baja California
flag msg tools
carlway wrote:

I have also tried a bunch of the VPG games, but these also haven't had the same appeal.

If you haven't tried them, I think the Nappy 20 series from VPG could have some good results.

carlway wrote:

"easy to set up, easy to learn, never having to look at the rules (a GBoH and CC problem), fast play, fun play and typically a tense game"

The game is easy to setup, though it lacks a graphical setup like in C&C scenarios.

The game is easy to learn, some rules are somewhat ambiguous and it is just a little more complex than C&C; each scenario has special rules so you may have to look at the rulebook more often.

One scenario plays around 90-120 minutes. Also the pace of the game is less focused on combat and more on maneuver and retaining key areas on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: A question for those who play (or attempt to play) wargames too wit kids.
GROGnads VS Kids: "this is "Like" if Tyson were to 'fight' an 'infant'..." soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Conflict of Heroes family? Most of those scenarios are fast to setup and play in about an hour.

Also, it sounds like he really enjoys block wargames so you could pick up some of the other popular ones you didn't mention: Hammer of the Scots, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Crusader Rex, etc.

A Few Acres of Snow is a great hybrid, and since you mentioned he likes all types of games he might really enjoy it. Also is fast to setup and plays in about an hour, with minimal rules references.

If you want to go old school: Up Front is great if you can find it.

Been playing a lot of Memoir '44 with my nine-year-old son. Not my favorite, but he enjoys it. I hope he's still wargaming with me when he's 17!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada
Washington's War
The First World War
A House Divided
Manoeuvre
Blue vs. Gray
Twilight Struggle
Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest Battle for Stalingrad.

Lots of fun!

Check out the videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
For me, what makes a good game is tension, so that's what I rate highest. Although Storm over Stalingrad is a good game, there are at least three other similar games that provide more tension - Breakout: Normandy, Twilight Struggle, and Wilderness War. Paths of Glory is fantastic, but takes a few plays to appreciate. Personally, if I were you, I'd be going more toward hex-n-counter, something like Bitter Woods, or Ardennes '44 (or it's brother Normandy '44).

I have Twilight Struggle and it has never clicked for me - maybe for same reason I'm really not interested in COIN games.

I love all things Simonitch (I'm finishing a play of The Cacaucus Campaign right now), but they take way over our 2-3 hr limit. Breakout: Normandy sounds interesting - we both have an interest in the topic, and I assume Breakthrough: Cambrai is similar - maybe both are worth a look. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I'll suggest Battle for Stalingrad.

Lots of fun!

Check out the videos.

Did you mean the new DVG card-based version? If so, it looks like a lot of fun! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gettysburg 150

6 pages of rules and easy to set up. Kind of an abstract depiction of the battle, but that's what makes it accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. It has blocks, but uses them very differently than the Columbia Games games. Short, easy and fun. It models a war that had a lot of flaky alliances, and the game mechanisms really play that up. Don't play this one if you are a control freak, but otherwise there isn't anything quite like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
triplec wrote:
Try King of Tokyo

Okay, who left the door open so the Eurogamers could get in? That's what we have the screen door for people.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, I would suggest:

Heroes of Normandie

Fast setup: check
Easy Rules: check
Tactical small group / tank combat: check
fun: check
allows for movie-like moves like in Inglorious Basterds: check

(my buddy tried to ram my tank, rolled / failed miserably and then had the movie-like moment when my turret slowly turned to his tank and... blam).

Even if it looks a bit comical there is a nice fast tactical system behind, a lot of scenario-packs are announced and even if you want to go into WW2 meets Chthulu the KS is still running for a few days.

I really recommend it. It has cards that supports your strategy and have nice yuk surprises for your opponent - but the cards don't drive the system. You have activation markers and bluff-markers so your opponent has to guess which troops you really want to move and in which order. It is variable in the way that it has a "buy"-system where both starts with the same amount of points and put there troops together the way they like (and the rules allow) but it is easy due to a color scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second A House Divided - the whole war takes ages, but the year scenarios fit your time criteria. Exciting, and with the right choice of optional rules both playable and broadbrush accurate in feel.

What about Tide of Iron? Memoir 44 seems pallid alongside C&C Ancients, but Tide of Iron does not.

Age of Napoleon - again the shorter scenarios fit your time criteria and it has the same kind of broadbrush verisimilitude as House Divided.

Ha, ha, I will suggest original Squad Leader (not ASL), which can be picked up second hand for a song (try to get the 4th edition rulebook). The average scenario will break your time criteria, but there are plenty of short ones and it is easy to create small scenarios with the points value system included. And its a big piece of wargames history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked your game list and spotted that you know all about Squad Leader and Tide of Iron! Apologies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You seem to have similar tastes to me and my son. We are currently playing through our wargame selection in historical chronological sequence, which I detail in this geeklist. Compared to your tastes I have more Columbia block games, which I can recommend to meet your criteria. I'm thinking of getting into GBoH myself, so interested in your impressions.

Also, I see one or two CDGs mentioned above. I have Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage which has been a great success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"The Sisyphean dreamer, my fibula and femur hold the weight of the world over and over! I think, therefore I die, anxiety and I rolling down a mountain over and over!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Across Suez (The SPI Version mind you, not Decision Games, to be fair though I do not know if anything has been changed between the two beyond the counter art)

This. This. This. laugh

Some slight history here, this game has blown me away, its small, easy to set up, and simple. However, every single time I have played it, it has blown me away with how tense and fun it is. I also used to be an counter artwork whore and ignored NATO symbols. My first play of this game, I was so involved and so enthralled with the game itself that I realized I didnt care about artwork, that gameplay can transcend that.

Obviously your mileage may vary, there is only the one scenario, however once the mechanics are grasped its a knife fight in a phone booth. Yesterday my FtF game of it came down to the very last turn with Egyptians breaking my perimeter around my bridge and destroying it.

Despite its age, despite its smallness/simplicity it delivers an incredibly tense game every time to me. Mark Herman's the designer so I know Judd would say it has something to do with him.

Alphawolf wrote:
Carl, I would suggest:
Heroes of Normandie

Also agree with Alpha here, just got this Thursday and have only played once but immensely enjoyed it. Make sure you check out the 1.1 rules as they are much clearer/better than the ones in the box. It too is quick setup, fast playing, and lots of over the top action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I second A House Divided - the whole war takes ages, but the year scenarios fit your time criteria. Exciting, and with the right choice of optional rules both playable and broadbrush accurate in feel.

What about Tide of Iron? Memoir 44 seems pallid alongside C&C Ancients, but Tide of Iron does not.

Age of Napoleon - again the shorter scenarios fit your time criteria and it has the same kind of broadbrush verisimilitude as House Divided.

Ha, ha, I will suggest original Squad Leader (not ASL), which can be picked up second hand for a song (try to get the 4th edition rulebook). The average scenario will break your time criteria, but there are plenty of short ones and it is easy to create small scenarios with the points value system included. And its a big piece of wargames history.

Do you know how A House Divided compares to Gettysburg 150? An ACW game might be fun.

Not a Tide of Iron fan - I'm usually too exhausted to play after the initial setup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
You seem to have similar tastes to me and my son. We are currently playing through our wargame selection in historical chronological sequence, which I detail in this geeklist. Compared to your tastes I have more Columbia block games, which I can recommend to meet your criteria. I'm thinking of getting into GBoH myself, so interested in your impressions.

Also, I see one or two CDGs mentioned above. I have Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage which has been a great success.

The GBoH series are my go to games (at least through Devil's Horsemen) - I have a keen interest in all things ancient. I have been attempting to play through all of the scenarios of Alexander, SPQR, Caesar CoG, etc. I started out playing with the SGBoH rules, but have since played with the straight GBoH rules - once you grasp the leader, activation and seizure concepts, the rules aren't so bad (well, they can at least be grasped by mortals, or in my case, aging wargamers). My son and I have played through several of the smaller scenarios of Alexander and SPQR - it took us numerous 'pushing the counters around" sessions for him to grasp the rules - we typically play on vassal so we can keep the game set up and take our time - usually hook a computer up to a big screen TV to play. I'm going to try to get in a couple of scenarios of Hoplite with him - the new chit-pull activation rules are fantastic and make for much smoother (and easier) play.

You might also consider the MoI series - many short, fun battles with a relatively simplified rule set compared to GBoH. Different era, but my second favorite game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know the Gettysburg game. A House Divided neatly presents the war from a lofty perspective. You can imagine yourself as Lincoln or Davis, or perhaps as Grant or Lee.

The core game is really simple. A pick and choose menu of simple add-ons enables you to take it up a notch or two in complexity, but really it remains simple.

The edition you use makes a difference. The original GDW version is perfectly playable and has a few optionals which were dropped from later editions, but which I like (tearing up railways being one, as memory serves). I don't have the 2nd GDW edition, but it is essentially re-implemented in the Phalanx edition, which I do have. These two added year scenarios and some other optionals (an over-wrought system for battle days for instance), while dropping others. The Phalanx edition is stunning visually, but has some annoying small omissions from the map (which I have carefully drawn in on my copy). I do not have the recent Mayfair edition, but it is a testament to this game to say that I would be willing to buy it while yet keeping my other two versions!

I play with the components and scenarios of the Phalanx edition using the core rules and selected optionals from the original GDW edition.

There, that is my pitch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
carlway wrote:
You might also consider the MoI series - many short, fun battles with a relatively simplified rule set compared to GBoH. Different era, but my second favorite game series.

MoI? I'm suffering from acronym blindness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.