Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trying to get free shipping by ordering $22 dollars more of items and need advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've got TTR, KOT, and For Sale in my cart for $78. I need 22 dollars more for free shipping.

I have two gamer groups, one group tends to be busy and often can't spend too much time playing "long" games in their eyes - for example, they all like power grid but never want to play it because it hits 2 hours+. My other group is a more lighthearted group (catan, resistance and such is more their fare) and that's why most of my cart has gateways or other light games.

So my criteria:
-it should be at most a 2 hour game, preferably somewhere between 45min-2hr
-I would not like something too complicated. I have some gateways though, so I think a game slightly beyond that, like an "intermediate game" would be good
-should cost somewhere between $22-$30/$34 for an online price
-I want something with high replay value, depth, and flavorful. My most preferred category would be strategy but I'm open to anything that's not bluffing or too chance-y.
-I would LIKE it if it scales well from 2-4 at least and preferably 2-5 or 2-6 but its not necessary

I haven't really played these, but these are just ideas I was considering:
The Castles of Burgundy
Stone Age
Small World
Puerto Rico
Dungeons & Dragons: Lords of Waterdeep Board Game

Of these, I've only played Small World twice recently, with 2P and 3P, and it was semi-enjoyable both times, but I don't know if I liked it enough to want to buy it. I thought a worker replacement game (I've never played a WP game) would be a good stepping stone toward some heavier things like Agricola, so I considered Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep, though from reviews, I think Stone Age sounds more simple and suitable for my crowd. (I also have a lot of D&D stuff so I'm not exactly craving to get more). I just watched a tutorial for Puerto Rico's rules, and it seemed a little complicated - I'd need to play it to know how much I like it...though that goes for all these games. I had considered Dominion briefly too, but from what I've read, I don't want to get the sleeves for the cards, and I'd like something more than just a card game.

Anyway, I'm really not sure, and I might still wait to play some of these before buying even if I'm heavily recommended something on here. Any ideas? I'm open to new suggestions too, but the thing I want most is something that fits my criteria above.

EDIT: I am planning to buy off CoolStuffInc. I didn't put it initially since I didn't want it to be advertising or anything, but since it was asked where, I'll add this to the top post.

EDIT2: I decided to buy Waterdeep after some consideration and reading some reviews. I just placed my order and hope my games will be enjoyable with my friends Thanks everyone!

Thread closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep are great intros to WP games. Both are quite simple to learn. The D&D theme on Waterdeep shouldn't be intimidating, as it really isn't a D&D game. Waterdeep teaches good planning (with chaining quests together) while Stone Age is a little more straightforward and tactical. Stone Age does have a diverse range of strategies (= ways to score points) so there's some depth to explore in both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of waterdeep meets most do your criteria. It scales well 2-5. It is also that rare game that may be enjoyable to both groups. It has a some chance but I find it is just enough to keep it interesting. My family usually gets a four-player game in in less tha 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I'll wait on a couple more suggestions and inputs, since I don't plan on buying anything for a few days at least. (may buy it Thursday or so and wanna get as much input as possible before then)

iadrianik wrote:

I didn't like 7 Wonders because it was really hard for me to keep track of all the symbols. Maybe I would like it again if I played it some more, but for now, its not the kind of game I want to get ATM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Olympos would fit your group - nice game, plays under 2 hours every time I've played it. Scales to 2-5 players. Good strong interaction between players, and has a light tech tree and a little random setup that keeps the game from getting stale. Game runs around $35, which is just above your stated amount.

The other game I'd recommend is Guildhall. It's a card game, plays up to 4 players, little bluffing, but some deduction as to what players are doing. Highly interactive and plays under an hour. First game will take longer as you get to know the cards, but everyone I've introduced this to seems to like it. Cost is around $20. The stand-alone expansion "Job Faire" is also good, but I find the original Guildhall to be a better introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
ANDOVER
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Serious
mbmbmbmb
What about Arctic Scavengers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep both are not overly complex. Both are fun games, so you cannot really go wrong with either.

In Stone Age there is a bit more luck (dice) and in Waterdeep there is a bit more going on (buildings coming into play, Intrigue cards).

Another idea would be Kingsburg.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, unless shipping is more than 22 dollars, I wouldn't buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Although I'm not a fan, I think Dominion is the answer.

But, try Blokus instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:

That would be exactly why adding the extra games, to pay the same amount crore a free game hat normally the shipping cost would be paid in either way. Coup might be a game for q group who likes the resistance. Category five, if yu can get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of most of these titles, but I'm not really sure how good they would be without input.

Also, for reference, this is what I own: Coup, Resistance/Avalon, Power Grid, Love Letter, Skull and Roses, Bohnanza, and Smash Up.
I don't like the majority of my own games though.

PeteyWA wrote:

Shipping is $10.11 - I'd much rather use that money toward an actual game and just spend $22 extra overall at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter? Fun, highly interactive game that can play within 2 hours. I think it might be a little more expensive though.. ($ at CSI) and you really want to have a larger amount of participants (4+)..

Chaos in the Old World is a great area control game. Theme is/can be a little off-putting, but the game underneath is really something special I think. Plays well with 3+, and goes up to 5 with the expansion.

Kingsburg / Troyes is a recommendation I would take with a grain of salt. I have not played either, I just played Alien Frontiers which also uses dice placement mechanics and I enjoy that game a lot. I've been hearing that both Kingsburg and Troyes are good games and they get high ratings, therefore I recommend those. Dice-placement has as pro that they introduce an element of randomness into the game. Just as stone age uses dice for resources, I'd want to have some element of surprise instead of a game you can puzzle out.

From your list (I selected those I've played):

Stone Age -> Fun game. But light. Very light. Not really an intermediary game, more a gateway. Highly enjoyable gateway though!

Small World -> I didn't like SW at all. Boring/bland game that reminds me a little of simple games we played as a kid. I didn't like it with 4.. and I rather play something a little more involved (Kemet / Cyclades / Proxima Centauri).

Puerto Rico -> Fun game, but in my mind replaced by San Juan. I think this game offers everything the basegame offered, with a smaller footprint and is a lot less deterministic.

Dungeons & Dragons: Lords of Waterdeep Board Game -> It's an ok game. I didn't care much for it, as excepting the theme it's a very typical worker placement game. If you want some more flavour, I think the expansion in necessary, but it bloats the previously elegant design a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age are more Gateway games. I'd avoid them if you want to get something a little more complex.

Castles of Burgundy is a good fit here, though when you hit 4P it will be about 2 hrs. Puerto Rico might be good as well, but it's a bit heavier than CoB.

My suggestion would be Village. With the tavern expansion you can go up to 5P, and it will play in 90m almost every time.

Another good option would be Istanbul. This is even shorter and has just won the Kennerspiel de Jahres. Definitely a good game and worth a look.

If you only semi enjoyed Small world, then walk away. Only buy games if you are certain you will enjoy them and your group will enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Night
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Guildhall

Easy to learn, lots of replayability, fun to create combos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age fun worker placement game. A bit simple but fun nonetheless.

Puerto Rico, like this one good variable phase order game. There are a few paths to victory, control certain buildings and make sure you have colonists/workers

Castles of Burgandy, Stephan Feld, not my favorite Feld game but a good one to learn Feld's style.

For fun factor I would go with Stone Age

For a little more Euroish strategy go with Feld.

Have Small World, really don't care for it. Seems like a fantasy land silly war game, although there are folks out there that really like it.

Good Luck
regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The builders is around that much. Very much liked for the short game it is. Packs a punch in the allotted time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
While Alien Frontiers is my favorite game (and is definitely better than Kingsburg & Troyes) it isn't terribly cheap, especially since the print run has sold out and So I'm not sure what the price/availability of it will be when/if this comment is read.

My realistic recommendation is The Manhattan Project, my favorite traditional WP game. Let us know what you pick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Puerto Rico the first time myself a few weeks ago. While there's quite a bit going on, there isn't anything that, by itself, is really that complicated. It's the interaction of the parts that make it seem complicated, but that's what I like about it.

Forbidden Desert is one I've been looking at for a co-op game. It's a little less than $22, but you could fill the rest in with something small like No Thanks!, or Sushi Go!.

New Haven is one we just picked up and really like. It plays really well for 2, 3, or 4 players. Just be sure to try the variants at the back of the rule book for more strategic options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
Okay, so I feel that the Spiehl usually gets it right so I would pick Hanabi. It's $12 but go double and it's perfect.

Of the games you listed (although still behind Hanabi), I would have to go with Splendor. A great new game, along the lines you are looking for.

But I have to throw one more suggestion into it: Mississippi Queen (Yes I do personally love Spiehls, but... That is an awesome game!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
My realistic recommendation is The Manhattan Project, my favorite traditional WP game.

+1 for The Manhattan Project, it's a really good WP game and fits your criteria very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you find anyone to go in on an order with you? I have had good luck with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Seasons has been a great 2p game
Agricola all creatures great and small
Carcossonne

My wife likes Lost Cities, race for the galaxy, dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Spyrium.

It gives a nice twist on worker placement and only has 5 rounds so it plays pretty quickly, even with 5 players. Also you can find it for $18-$25.

It might help if you let us know which retailer you're looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick price search and for the amount you are looking to spend my recommendation would be Puerto Rico. Great game with lots of replayability and as someone pointed our earlier it really isn't all that difficult to learn. Others that you might want to consider

7 Wonders
Assyria
Africana
Arkadia
Stone Age

Lighter but also good replayability

Isla Dorada
Citadels

EDITS: Added two games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.