Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the St. Albans map the terrain depictions frequently spill over into adjacent hexes. Does this block line of sight? For example, in the following image, is LOS blocked from hex 1735 to hex 1935? The building in 1835 extends quite a bit into 1836.

A related question is whether hex 1836 is a street or a building. On the map is seems that it is intended to be a street hex, but section 11.4 in the rules states: "If a hex contains blocking terrain and/or a unit that blocks LOS, then the entire hex is treated as blocking, not just the feature inside the hex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
i would rule 1836 as a clear hex with a road running through it. although there's a piece of building which bleeds into the hex, i wouldn't consider it enough to convert the hex into a city hex with a road running through it.

i've interpreted rule 11.4 to mean that if a hex is defined as a blocking hex, such as a city hex for example, then the entire hex is blocked, not just the the parts of the LoS which actually touch buildings. by extension, it would follow that if a clear hex contains straggler graphics, like the random tree or building edge, then the entire hex is considered clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Thomas. Your interpretation makes sense and I was thinking the same thing myself (You didn't explicitly state it, but I believe you figured the LOS was clear). The LOS principles in this game are very simple and rules to handle 'straggler graphics' would mean increased complexity. Of course it would be reassuring to have some kind of official confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes, I would definitely rule LoS as clear as I'd only consider there to be an obstruction one side of the hex spine; however, that's totally dependent on my possibly flawed interpretation of rule 11.4 =-)

No worries though, I'm sure that Ralph Shelton, the developer, will undoubtedly drop by this thread and give an official answer when he has a moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
nunyabisnas wrote:
Yes, I would definitely rule LoS as clear as I'd only consider there to be an obstruction one side of the hex spine; however, that's totally dependent on my possibly flawed interpretation of rule 11.4 =-)

No worries though, I'm sure that Ralph Shelton, the developer, will undoubtedly drop by this thread and give an official answer when he has a moment.

And I meant that moment to be sometime yesterday, but time got away from me.

The building shouldn't spill over into the street like that in 1836. That is a graphical flair that I did not notice when we were making the final maps. I also see little pieces of orchard, one tree or less, spilling over into other hexes such as in 2630. Now that I look closely I also see two trees lining Cock Lane in 2734. Damn. I looked at the other maps and this is not an issue, it is just the town of St. Albans.

Now I'm going to have to say something I hate to and that I work to avoid. If a small piece of a terrain graphic spills into an adjacent hex ignore it, except for elevation changes where you measure across the actual contour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the other maps have the same issue, but those instances are also probably of no consequence (we're talking just a single tree or bush here and there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
You are correct, I found a little bit of fuzziness on the Tewkesbury-Bosworth map near some of the marsh and hedge hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.