Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

The Builders: Middle Ages is a new breed of micro games. Basically, these games take one simple trick or mechanic and creates a small, portable game.

The game is small and really does one thing, but does it well. The game is designed to be simple, crisp, quick to play, and small in nature. This is a game you will sit down to play on lunch break or after dinner while the kids play.

This game is not intended to be a main event. It warms you up for what is to come. Also, it can be used to show non-gamers a simple mechanic that might lead to bigger games down the road.

I liked builders quite a bit. I thought it was a fun little game that included a race to 17 victory points How you get to those 17 victory points is up to you, but normally that means building buildings and machines. Which workers will you use? Which buildings will give you the much needed points? What can you build the quickest?

The game has some tension to it. At its core, it is a game you don't want to spend too much time thinking about. The game isn't intended to be a brain burner. Instead, a light pub style game that allows conversation while you play.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are good enough for the game. I must comment that the game is packaged in a tin. Some people hate the tin. While not my favorite, I can live with it. The money is plastic coins and actually pretty good with some texture to them. The cards have good art on them, but they might be a little thin for me. The design on the cards are top notch, but I just wish the quality was a tad...thicker.

The art work is very colorful and appealing. Non-gamers will enjoy the cartoon type art and nothing will offend.

Rule Book:

The rules is small, but includes full color examples and pictures. This is game is rather simple, especially if you have played any designer games before. The pictures and examples do a great job of explaining a rule and then showing you how it works. The book was written for non-gamers so you should not have any problems.

Flow of the Game:

This game is simple to play. The game is a race to 17 victory points.

On a turn, the player gets 3 actions or pay 5 coins each additional action.

Actions:

1. Start Construction - choose one of the buildings and put in front of you

2. Recruit a worker - Put a worker in front of you (as many as you want)

3. Send a worker to work - Place a worker next to a building you are constructing; each worker will have X amount of resources for each of the resources piles; to send a worker you must pay the coins listed on the card; to send one worker is one action, 2nd worker on same turn is two more actions, 3rd worker on same turn is three more actions (six total)

4. Take Coins - one action is one coin, two actions is 3 coins, three action is 6 coins

When a building is finished being built, you flip it over and have its utility now. All workers are returned to you and you get paid for the building. You can also build machines (built just like buildings) and they give you building bonuses.

Buildings/Machines: Just to be clear, workers build the buildings/machines. The worker cards have the four resources listed and how much they contribute to the creation of the building. When the number of resources equal the number required the building is built.

All you do is build these buildings using the worker cards to get VP.

Should I buy this game?:

For the price, this is a very good game. It is small, portable, and fun. The game is simple in design and play. I had a lot of fun with this game and I like that it is designed for two players. The simplicity of the game makes it great for introducing to newer players.

I do recommend this game.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Thanks for the write up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good review. The game seems fun enough. I'm waiting for it to arrive with a larger order. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.