Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Combinatorial game theory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Zheng
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Combinatorial game theory (CGT) is a mathematical method to analyze games invented by John Conway. The invention of CGT was motivated by Go, and according to Sensei's Library, it is useful for understanding Go endgames.

Winning Ways includes numerous examples of games which can be analyzed using CGT. However, of those games, only a few are commonly played by non-mathematicians, including Amazons and Dots and Boxes.

Have any players or designers here found CGT concepts to be useful? I am learning CGT purely for fun, but I would like to know if there are more "real world" applications to the theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snarles wrote:
Combinatorial game theory (CGT) is a mathematical method to analyze games invented by John Conway. The invention of CGT was motivated by Go, and according to Sensei's Library, it is useful for understanding Go endgames.

Winning Ways includes numerous examples of games which can be analyzed using CGT. However, of those games, only a few are commonly played by non-mathematicians, including Amazons and Dots and Boxes.

Have any players or designers here found CGT concepts to be useful? I am learning CGT purely for fun, but I would like to know if there are more "real world" applications to the theory.

A lot of designers pay attention to temperature in designing. I certainly find the concept useful.

(Note: now that game designers use it divorced from it's original context, "hotness" and "coldness" may be taking on shades of meaning they didn't originally have in CGT)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW I recall hearing years ago that at least one Go-playing AI program explicitly used CGT to analyze endgame positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.