Ticket to Ride: Märklin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Summary of Rules Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wagner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Here is a list of (mostly official) useful clarifications to the rules that I have been piecing together, as best I can, from the updated online rules, and AlanRMoon's posts on the Days of Wonder Website. Please reply if you find an inconsistency.

A "Route" is a set of similar colored rectangles connecting two Cities, or a Country Flag and a City.

A "Double Route" is a set of two Routes connecting the same two Cities.

A "Triple Route" is a set of three Routes connecting the same two Cities.

A particular Passenger can only pass through a Route, Double Route, or Triple Route once during a run.

When a Route is claimed, a player has the option to place a Passenger on one City connected by the Route just played, provided that the City is not already occupied by another Passenger.

The presence of other Passengers on the board does not affect the scoring of a Passenger when it makes its run.

Cities with no Merchandise Tokens have no effect on the legal movement of a Passenger during its run.

Two routes ending in the same (Non-German)Country are not considered connected through that Country, even if the routes both connect to the same Country Flag, both for purposes of Passenger movement and Ticket scoring.

During a run, every time a Passenger ENTERS a City, it may take a Token from that City, even if the Passenger has been in that City before on the same run. (The city of origin is no exception)

The five face-up cards are replaced when there are three NORMAL locomotive or three passenger cards showing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewillini wrote:
When a Route is claimed, a player has the option to place a Passenger on one City at the end of the Route just played, provided that the city is not already occupied by another Passenger.

Where exactly has this been stated? We looked for it in the rules when we first played, but the only thing we found was what you mention about passengers being able to travel through occupied cities. Finding nothing to the contrary, we've assumed thereby that passengers can also start in the same city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wagner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Salt-Man Z wrote:
drewillini wrote:
When a Route is claimed, a player has the option to place a Passenger on one City at the end of the Route just played, provided that the city is not already occupied by another Passenger.

Where exactly has this been stated? We looked for it in the rules when we first played, but the only thing we found was what you mention about passengers being able to travel through occupied cities. Finding nothing to the contrary, we've assumed thereby that passengers can also start in the same city.

I believe this was clarified by Alan Moon in one of his posts on the days of wonder website. Try searching under user AlanRMoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
drewillini wrote:

Page three of the manual, in the second paragraph under "claim a route"

"When a player claims a route, he may also place one of his Passengers in either city of this particular route. Only one Passenger is allowed in any city"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I don't know how we missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wagner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Jasonofindy wrote:

"When a player claims a route, he may also place one of his Passengers in either city of this particular route. Only one Passenger is allowed in any city"

Yeah, this is a particularly poorly written part of the rulebook, since many routes only have one city, and in a sense, two passengers are allowed in a city simultaneously while a passenger is making a run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Piddock
United States
Torrington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewillini wrote:

Clarify:

You can only place the passenger on the end of the route you just claimed?

I thought you could place a passenger at the beginning city or the end city of the route you just claimed. How would you determine which is the beginning and which is the end anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
drewillini wrote:
Jasonofindy wrote:

"When a player claims a route, he may also place one of his Passengers in either city of this particular route. Only one Passenger is allowed in any city."

Yeah, this is a particularly poorly written part of the rulebook, since many routes only have one city, and in a sense, two passengers are allowed in a city simultaneously while a passenger is making a run.

I don't understand why you think this is poorly written. A route has no beginning or end; a route connects two cities, and when you claim a route, you may place a passenger in either one of the cities that are connected by that route, as long as the city isn't already occupied.

The only exception is when a route ends outside of Germany; in this case, the route connects to only one city, so you have only one choice of where to place a passenger, assuming the city is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wagner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
ShadowGod wrote:
drewillini wrote:

Clarify:

I thought you could place a passenger at the beginning city or the end city of the route you just claimed. How would you determine which is the beginning and which is the end anyway?

Clarified. Does the edited version read better for you? It now uses the same language as the definition for a route.

Thanks; I didn't see the potential for confusion. -Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
I don't understand why you think this is poorly written. A route has no beginning or end; a route connects two cities, and when you claim a route, you may place a passenger in either one of the cities that are connected by that route, as long as the city isn't already occupied.

Routes can connect one city and one country, rather than two cities.

When passengers are moving, they can move through and end in cities containing other passenters. Thus, when passengers are moving, more than one passenger is allowed in a city at a time.

Thus, the rule is, in fact, poorly written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewillini wrote:
During a run, every time a Passenger ENTERS a City, it may take a Token from that City, even if the Passenger has been in that City before on the same run. (The city of origin is no exception)

Your writing is unclear to me here. We understand the rules that you do not take the merchandise token from the city of origin since you are DEPARTING from that location. (The rules as stated and as pictured contradict each other in the rulebook.) The only way you can get the merchadise token in your city of origin is to pass back through it via another route.

Is this what you meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wagner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
quixotequest wrote:

Your writing is unclear to me here. We understand the rules that you do not take the merchandise token from the city of origin since you are DEPARTING from that location. (The rules as stated and as pictured contradict each other in the rulebook.) The only way you can get the merchadise token in your city of origin is to pass back through it via another route.

Is this what you meant?

What you wrote is true, and consistent with what I wrote. I tried to keep the wording concise, and written in such a way that it removes special cases. I'm open to suggestions if you have a way of making it more clear without sacrificing conciseness or completeness! Of course, different people think differently, and can disagree on how best to write the same set of rules.

-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewillini wrote:
ShadowGod wrote:
drewillini wrote:

Clarify:

Clarified. Does the edited version read better for you? It now uses the same language as the definition for a route.

Thanks; I didn't see the potential for confusion. -Drew

Drew, the way you wrote it is fine.
If there is any tiny confusion, you could alter the wording where you wrote "the end" and instead say "either end." By doing so, you remove any possible puzzlement that you are defining one side to be "the end" and the other side to be "the beginning." Thus, like this:

When a Route is claimed, a player has the option to place a Passenger on one City at either end of the Route just played, provided that the city is not already occupied by another Passenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.