25 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: future expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bill kernow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
with woodland arriving soon, the 'obvious' big expansions have all been done, and there's a limit to how cumbersome the adventure deck can get with small expansions, so do you think there will/should be further expansions? If so what?

For my own penniesworth, I'd like to see a few more small box expansions... here's two ideas of where I could see them going....

'spirit of adventure'
emphasis; storytelling, character traits

*character trait cards; e.g hate a character, fear something, hidden secret, drunkard etc.

*spirit figures, similar to toads, characters lose strength and objects, but retain craft. This could be caused by spells, encounters, or... certain objects/ traits could allow a player to continue temporarily as a spirit when they die, to aid the players new character

*characters, witchdoctor linking in with spirit theme, orphan, pirate, poet...

*adventure cards, some link with spirit/ character traits, others feature dramatic/ amusing events that emphasise the storytelling nature of talisman... a drunk as a follower, or a sheep, a troll that blocks one of the bridges, or a sea monster in the river, major events that with the huge amount of adventure cards now available, will hopefully not come up every game. i.e. city/ castle under seige, add + 1 to your strength for every follower you have, and cards that allow players to collaborate.

'the chosen path'
emphasis; choice, multiple paths to victory

'path cards' ala the high mage etc from the old city give advantages to the player with the highest strength, craft, wealthiest, most quests completed, can be taken from a player; similar to longest road etc of catan.

adventure cards; emphasise choice, e.g. you can attack a stage coach, or be teleported by it, cards that break symmetry between good and evil so they become a choice; evil a high risk high gain, good the reverse, neutral money based. More cards allowing control over movement; map, compass, strangers/enemies with a teleport possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Woodlands will about wrap it up for Talisman 4th ed and I'm ok with that. There's a ton of variety and possibilities with what's available, more than enough to keep your game fresh for a very long time.

That said, I'd never turn down something new to add in. Maybe the way to go would be the occasional micro p.o.d. expansion like Nether Realm. Relatively inexpensive to produce and just enough to keep the game alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timescape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

Get Relic instead meeple

I'd vote for a few more small box card expansions. Who has a table big enough to host even more boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill kernow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I knew there would be a post that just said timescape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

No way. The whole point of the Timescape was to crossover with Games Workshop's other product lines, and that'll never happen now that GW has nothing to do with Talisman nowadays. Also, the Timescape was a horribly broken expansion in several ways. I always don't like sci-fi mixed with fantasy, and for it to work you've got to do it just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Relic, it does not replace Timescape, nor can it be easily connected to Talisman. In fact played my 2nd game late last nite.

At this time, 48.6% liked Timescape, 42.9% did not. So I win. get me Timescape laugh

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1179212/do-you-expansion-tim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill kernow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a soft spot for 2nd edition timescape because of its weirdness, but I do think its maybe best left as something unique to that edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

Get Relic instead meeple

Gotta side with DomaGB here.
The topic is _FUTURE_ expansions, and Timescape is the only one that qualifies. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I hope after this one they do one like how they wrapped up relic- a big expansion that adds stuff to EVERY expansion of the game and also to the base game. So just more fireland cards, city cards, etc etc etc, and call it good with that. That's my vote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

yuk gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

yuk gulp

More people like it than dislike it. see the poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Clammy721 wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Timescape.

yuk gulp

Maybe so. Not myself. If I want to play a sci-fi themed Talisman, I'll play Relic. I much prefer the fantasy theme and Timescape just ruins Talisman for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
Maybe so. Not myself. If I want to play a sci-fi themed Talisman, I'll play Relic. I much prefer the fantasy theme and Timescape just ruins Talisman for me.

I wouldn't say "ruin" ... but the theme is still very anachronistic. Running through a classic fantasy world with a Chainsaw Warrior or a Space Marine adds a somewhat strange feeling to the game.

On the other hand, seeing a character falling into the Horrible Black Void and ending up in the Timescape, is priceless ... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

On the other hand, seeing a character falling into the Horrible Black Void and ending up in the Timescape, is priceless ... meeple

That is the only part of Timescape that I liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

That is the only part of Timescape that I liked.

That's the worst part of the Timescape! Here we have this deliberately cruel and capricious ending, the ultimate in randomness, the "ha-ha you lose" card......and it has its teeth pulled. "Go to the Timescape and get right back up to the Crown of Command ASAP."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually "felt" more theme in Timescape than in Relic. But I have only played 2 games of Relic so far. And I like the mixture (sci fi & fantasy). Now don't get me wrong I like Timescape but it isn't my favorite, I liked 2nd Edition City more.

Talisman is more fun than Relic, but my 2nd game of Relic was more fun than the 1st. But its not the same, nor do I want a 5th edition of Talisman with the Relic "engine".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
... nor do I want a 5th edition of Talisman with the Relic "engine".

OMG, NO! I already bought 3 editions of Talisman, I won't buy a fourth! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still crave for a seagoing expansion, but with all corners already done I don't see how it can be implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
I still crave for a seagoing expansion, but with all corners already done I don't see how it can be implemented.

The Timescape expansion was a non-connected board.
Actually...that set-up is almost perfect.

Take the Timescape board
Replace "crazy warps" with "Sea routes"
Replace "crazy temporal spaces" with "Islands"
Replace "crazy future lazer-demon-robots" with "Tribal theme"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
srcabeza wrote:

Take the Timescape board

Talisman: The Island Expansion...

I vote for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

Some people avoid the entire thread just because it has Timescape in the title, that's how disgusting that expansion was. If only two options were Talisman with Timescape or Settlers of Catan*, I'd just not playing anything.

* can be replaced by any train game or most euro games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Some people avoid the entire thread just because it has Timescape in the title, that's how disgusting that expansion was. If only two options were Talisman with Timescape or Settlers of Catan*, I'd just not playing anything.

* can be replaced by any train game or most euro games

Poll update: more no's than yes's, unless you count the "sometimes/a little" votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schelchshorn
Germany
Schlüsselfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
grarrrg wrote:
srcabeza wrote:

Take the Timescape board

Talisman: The Island Expansion...

I vote for this!

Great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
talisman man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What I'd like is an interconnected, compatible, but standalone game... a bit like how smallworld underground can be played as a seperate game, or connected, or races can be interchanged. These would allow ffg to be a bit more innovative, and could even have their own expansions.

A standalone talisman game, with characters usable in the original, and ways to connect it if you wished, ie a couple 'alternative endings' that use both boards.

Suggestions...
Island as mentioned above; the 'link' could be port in the city, maybe with a draw of a 'voyage card' to go between them, characters like explorers or a pirate would work well.

Ice lands The one off board area of the talisman world we know of is the frostmarch ... so how about an icy, norse themed board? Could have relics three different enemy types? A temperature mechanic could give three 'themes' ; strength, craft, and cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.