Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge (Creation and Control)

Event (9)
1x Escher (Creation and Control)
1x Infiltration (Core Set)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) ·
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)

Hardware (8)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x CyberSolutions Mem Chip (Fear and Loathing)
2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (7)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
1x Woman in the Red Dress (Mala Tempora)

Program (21)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Corroder (Core Set)
1x Crescentus (A Study in Static)
1x Datasucker (Core Set)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Djinn (Core Set)
1x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Keyhole (True Colors)
1x Leprechaun (Upstalk)
1x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Morning Star (What Lies Ahead)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
1x Parasite (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

Cards in deck: 45 (min 45)
1/1 influence used
Cards up to Upstalk

Deck built with Net Deck

With a few changes that came from lessons from the San Rafael Regional yesterday (and an addition of a Leprechaun from the upcoming expansion), this is basically the deck I played yesterday. My piloting ability has been improving over the course of the last 3 weeks I've been playing it, and though at the much tougher competition at the regional yesterday it only went 3 and 3, I was happy with how it performed, and I learned A LOT about how to play it more effectively.

Idea behind the deck

My goal is to build up a large credit pool with a dwindling number of counters on my threats on personal workshop. Keyhole is a very strong (and in this deck early game) threat against R&d. Nerve agent makes a strong threat against HQ. With both of those cards on Workshop, you are forcing the copr to ice up centrals hard with miminal investment from you.

Sneakdoor stays in hand or is test run/smc'ed out, ideally when nerve agent is already on personal workshop. Two of the three games I won yesterday thanks to Sneakdoor beta (one was a 6 point turn with Nerve agent)

I have the breakers to make credible threats to the centrals in the late game.

How to play the deck:

1) Mulligan for ProCo (the only exception is if I have Personal Workshop AND opus). Best opening hand is sure gamble, proco, personal workshop, memory, and test run). If you don't get ProCo in opening hand, use test run to take advantage of an open central (open R&D is a dream come true with Keyhole). Otherwise, dig for proco, putting stuff you draw on Personal Workshop. Don't forget to run, make the corp rez the ice. Again, if you get the opportunity to take advantage of a central, especially R&D, it's usually a good idea.

2) Once you have proco, keep digging, get your smc's out, and start running. Be careful of destroyers though....you don't want to risk your expensive programs. Your goal at this point is to slow the corp down, forcing them to keep rezzing ice and spending money. If you come across a big ice, use Crecentus to derez (it's often worth it to pop an SMC or use a test run to get it, and you can keep bringing it back with clone chips.)

3) Late game, you'll have lots of programs (and the memory to install them) down to few counters on your Personal Workshop(s). This is when you bring out Opus (ideally for a single credit) and money up hard. Build up a good pool of money so that you can get into any server you want to (though it might cost you a good bit of money)

4) This is where Sneakdoor, Red Dress, and Infiltration come in. When you have 15-20 credits, you can get into any server you want, and the corp knows it (Femme and Atman are great for this). Infiltration is to make sure you don't blow your load on a asset disguised as an agenda. Red Dress is so you know when to make the run on R&D or HQ. And sneakdoor (with the Nerve Agent already installed) is you you get into HQ repeatedly to get the Agenda that the corp will almost certainly draw rather than leave on R&D.

Specific Deck Types

Tag and Bag/midseasons:
Get Opus out early and out money the corp. These decks (especially NBN) will typically have ice that isn't too tough to get through so once you develop a money advantage they will be in BIG trouble. Don't steal NAPD unless you already have a big money lead.

Fast advance:
The deck worked great against fast advance decks, especially NBN. Imp takes out the SanSans and biotics (and is easy to get out with Djinn and recur as necessary with clone chip or test run). HQ usually isn't protected that well either since they score the agendas as soon as they drop, but knocking out the fast advance pieces can really mess them up. Imp is crucial in this matchup...don't be afraid to tutor for it (or djinn, which is my preference)

RP:
This was the deck I had the toughest time with yesterday and am still working through how to deal with it (though again it may have just been mistakes I made...I can think of a couple.)

Problems I've had with the deck:

The biggest problem is early money, but many economy cards don't work well with this deck

Kati: I'd rather proco so that I can get more money now and draw something to put on a workshop

Daily casts: For one more net credit than hedge fund, it sets you back for the time being potentially opening up a scoring window for the corp. You want to keep your money high so that you can always threaten a successful run.

Freelance Coding Contract: Again, I want the programs on personal workshop (where they get cheaper to play) instead of in the heap where I need to use my clone chips (or worse, test run) to get them back.

Successful economy depends on finding THE RIGHT time to put out Opus (ideally when you have Djinn or Leprechaun out and it gets taken off workshop...if you need it earlier you don't want the tempo hit to open up a coring window for the corp.) Stimhack is an AMAZING econ card in this deck, BTW. I usually use it to complete my rig much more quickly than the corp anticipated.

Memory:

You may think this is a bit of overkill here, but truth is I've played way too many games in which I got locked out of being able to play programs because of memory issues. I want to draw a piece of memory early so that I can throw it on a workshop and get it out cheaply when I need it. I definitely use all the memory I play.

Cards I've tried

It is tough to evaluate how effective some of the cards are since you don't them in every game as they are singletons, but here are some thoughts on cards I've taken out of the deck

Levy AR Access/SoT: I had Levy solely for Jinteki. I would never use this for just the card draw since I would rather just ProCo for the cards. SoT was in case the levy got pinged out of my hand (and could be used on Stimhack in a pinch. But I never played Levy. Never needed it.

Chakana: I put this in as an anti-fast advance card, but found that I wasn't running R&D enough times to make it effective. This deck is more about getting in on a specific run rather than making many cheap runs. Imp has been a far better anti-fast advance card.

Dinosaurus/Scavenge/Cyber Cypher: I had scavenges in for a while because they served a lot of purposes: Test running opus/femme/expensive other programs and scavenging them, moving cypher to other servers, moving programs onto Dinosaurus as needed. But in wanting to cut the deck to 45 to up the economy density, this suite was easy to cut and I've felt good about having Gordian as my only decoder. As far as Opus, another player I talked to yesterday suggested that if I think I will need the Opus earlier for a specific match-up, test run it and click for 6, the draw and put it on the workshop until I have the memory. I did this in the following game against a midseasons deck and it worked beautifully.

Pheromones: I thought this would be good to have out as a battery for PW, but I never used it and felt it was a little too comboriffic. Again, I'm not getting LOTS of accesses in this deck so Pheromones didn't pull it's weight.

Anyway, looking back I can see I made a lot of play mistakes (most noteably was not bringing out Atman and times that it could have been useful.) With so many moving parts I know this deck will take a lot of practice, but as overwhelming as it is to me as the runner, playing against a deck like this as corp must be even worse.

Why not another shaper ID? Mostly because no other ID can have
Morning Star
Sneakdoor
Nerve Agent
Keyhole
Djinn (for memory and to tutor imp and Nerve Agent)
Imp
Fairie

Not that that is a list of all the influence in the deck, but these are the ones I strongly rely on in almost every game.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No write up? Nice write up. Have you considered aesop's for all the MU swapping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why a woman in a red dress?
What is your rig strategies for playing this deck? I love the professor, but I have had the consistency yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
I started writing the reply but my connection got lost (doing it in the car on the drive back from San Rafael!)

I'm adding it to the original post now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, everything The Professor does, Kate does better, faster, and more efficiently. The few extra options you can get out of him loses you valuable event and econ spots, plus the link and free install credit every turn. He is so slow to set up, you lose all of your early game. By the time he gets rolling, even a slow Jinteki will have a 4 point lead on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
From my experience, everything The Professor does, Kate does better, faster, and more efficiently. The few extra options you can get out of him loses you valuable event and econ spots, plus the link and free install credit every turn. He is so slow to set up, you lose all of your early game. By the time he gets rolling, even a slow Jinteki will have a 4 point lead on you.

The only inherent "slowness" to the professor vs Kate is the loss of the free credits per turn. Otherwise, the professor is just as "fast" or "slow" as Chaos Theory or Kit. (Although those two can pick up "speed" through some other means).

I think what's "slow" about the professor is the way people tend to build him, which is to make a pure silver bullet build. This makes him overly reliant on tutors and generates large amounts of "dead" draws of cards not relevant to the current matchup. Also as you point out, these cards have to live somewhere. On that we're in agreement.

In theory, (I have yet to accomplish this) more streamlined professor builds are possible. What would be required to make the professor better than Kate? I'm assuming we're not building a combo deck, which would entail a much different approach.

Take an "ideal" Kate deck. I know there is no "Ideal", so just a really good one. Identify the different pieces of the deck. Breaker types, economy, and so forth. Then for each and every card, see if it can be replaced by an out of faction program. (Cache can replace a credit generator for example, or Keyhole can replace R&D Interface). Each program in this setup should not just replace, but add value in some way. Eventually, given enough other good programs that add value over the replaced card, the professor can theoretically outstrip Kate. In this scenario, the Professor plays just like a Kate deck, it just has a different set of pieces. Note, the professor would require some redundancy through multiple different programs replacing the same functionality. So in the case of replacing R&D Interface, you would run both Keyhole AND Medium increasing the odds of drawing one or the other.

The problem; as the number of programs increase in the deck, memory problems emerge unless the replacement programs are "one shots". So Cache and Faerie don't add much memory overhead, but Keyhole and Medium do (as compared to R&DI). This creates a design decision. The professor player can choose to go with more one-shot programs, and so doesn't need to increase memory. This has the advantage of not needing EVEN more card slots dedicated to the professor specific build. The drawback is that this limits card selection and their may not yet be enough out of faction great cards to make this practical.

The other direction is to add memory. The problem with this approach is now you have added memory hardware, filling precious deck slots and creating more items to find and spend money on slowing things down. Program based memory such as Djinn and Leprechaun also have the additional problem of needing to come down BEFORE the final point of memory gets used, essentially forcing the player to play as if they only had 3 memory for the part of the game before they find the memory program.

This now means the programs swapped in have THAT much more value to add vs a standard Kate deck.

What's a professor to do? First, we can look for added synergy from having an increased number of programs. We start to design a deck expecting so many more programs. Pulling in Freelance Coding Contract would be one example. Its fast money that gets value out of any programs that are not ideal. Next we can resist the urge to pack in too many silver bullets. Instead we combine the one-shot programs with select game-breaking programs that only marginally up our memory needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
I agree that the silver bullet approach is very tempting, and when this deck started out that's exactly what this was. But there are so many silver bullets there isn't room for economy. The deck started out at around 59 cards (I usually start my runner decks off at higher card counts so that I can see which cards pull their weight) The combination of programs now are cards that I want to see in mosts matchups.

I used to have Zu/Torch, but in the process of cutting down to 45 cards I went with Gordian. THe issues is that I don't see Toolbox in every matchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ely
United States
pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I've been playing and editing a Professor deck for about the last month and am j6st recently finding some success. Good to see the similarities and differences to get more ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:

Why not another shaper ID? Mostly because no other ID can have
Morning Star
Sneakdoor
Nerve Agent
Keyhole
Djinn (for memory and to tutor imp and Nerve Agent)
Imp
Fairie

You just don't need most of them though. There's a big conversation about this going on over on the Stimhack forums right now.
My feeling is that what you gain in silver bullets and versatility with The Prof. you lose by not being able to deal with the standard scenarios as consistently. Not having access to Criminal Events is pretty devastating too. The Prof. will not be competitive for a while, if ever.

a 3-3 finish is ok, but doesn't tell the whole story. How did your Corp do? This is a relevant question because it's important to look at your overall position to assess the quality of opposition your Runner faced. If your Corp was 6-0 and you placed highly then 3-3 is respectable (especially since Corp is favoured at the moment); but if your Corp went 0-6 then that means you're only winning half the Runner games against the bottom of the room - which means back to the drawing board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Which of these cards would you say is a silver bullet? Faerie i guess (though its pretty much a staple for criminal) sure probably faerie could be replaced by sharpshooter (though fairie is far better) but the rest of the cards are vital to the deck

Maybe we have a different understanding of what "silver bullet" means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
The deck beat the eventual regional champion.

Did the deck truly win that game? I've won games with the professor, but many of them were agenda flooding games that blank identies would have won as well.

I want to say that in my limited professor experience (~10 games?) I can only remember 1 where I really felt like I won by being the professor (8 memory rig with probably 12+ influence on the table)

The other wins were keyholes or nerve agent victories that were just lucky to have the right card in hand to start the match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
The deck beat the eventual regional champion.

Did the deck truly win that game? I've won games with the professor, but many of them were agenda flooding games that blank identies would have won as well.

I want to say that in my limited professor experience (~10 games?) I can only remember 1 where I really felt like I won by being the professor (8 memory rig with probably 12+ influence on the table)

The other wins were keyholes or nerve agent victories that were just lucky to have the right card in hand to start the match.

So this statement got me wondering; what does a "Professor win" look like? Perhaps a better way of phrasing it is what does an Andy, Kate, Reina, etc win look like, and why is a Professor win different?

I mean, when more than half the tourney decks are packing 1+ Account Siphons, are any of them "not Criminal" wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedman wrote:

So this statement got me wondering; what does a "Professor win" look like? Perhaps a better way of phrasing it is what does an Andy, Kate, Reina, etc win look like, and why is a Professor win different?

I mean, when more than half the tourney decks are packing 1+ Account Siphons, are any of them "not Criminal" wins?

In my mind, there are definitely games that a runner can just win by playing smart and running. Agenda floods happen.

When a game is over, it's not hard to look at how / why you win.

Did you land a mega turn R&D dig after a vamp because the runner couldn't afford to Rez a pop up window? That's a reina win.

Did the corp fail to ice R&D and you just ran it and won? That's just smart netrunner.

In my mind, a professor win would be one in which his ability made a meaningful difference... So either having lots of influence on the table, or having the right silver bullet avail in deck would be the type of win that you could argue was due in some part due to your selection of identity.

Your identity is the most important card in your deck. It's the only card you can guarantee will be active during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:

In my mind, there are definitely games that a runner can just win by playing smart and running. Agenda floods happen.

When a game is over, it's not hard to look at how / why you win.

Did you land a mega turn R&D dig after a vamp because the runner couldn't afford to Rez a pop up window? That's a reina win.

Did the corp fail to ice R&D and you just ran it and won? That's just smart netrunner.

Agreed, and now I start to understand what you were trying to say.

Quote:
In my mind, a professor win would be one in which his ability made a meaningful difference... So either having lots of influence on the table, or having the right silver bullet avail in deck would be the type of win that you could argue was due in some part due to your selection of identity.

I guess here is where I go off the rails. Even though they're only 5 influence for one copy of each, how many decks (outside of Professor) do you see running Sneakdoor and Nerve Agent? For 2 SMCs and 11 credits a Runner can pull both of these cards from their Stack and run 4 times, but would any deck other than the Professor be likely to even have that combo available?

I mean, I completely agree with you that (for example) multi-accessing HQ while you suspect an Agenda flood is smart Netrunner. But to be in the position to execute your smart Netrunner play, you have to have made certain decisions at the deckbuilding stage, which is when you're looking at your identity and saying to yourself "how can I execute smart Netrunner play with this ability?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
I deleted that post because i felt it was irrelevant, but I'll describe what i remember.

After an early HQ run. I saw a midseasons, so I built up money. I ran a remote with a SanSan and a advanced NAPD, trashing the SanSan with Imp and leaving the NAPD (he was trying to honeypot me), which he scored. While he drew for another agenda, I built up money with Magnum Opus (which I brought out early to negate Midseasons). I threw down a Sneakdoor and ran a couple times, getting a Breaking News. I had 24 credits when he installed a card in a two ice remote. I ran, bringing out a gordian with an smc that I installed that turn, and femming his wraparound (it was on personal workshop with only a couple counters left). It was an astro (he felt it would be safer in a remote than in his hand, and he was gambling that I didn't have a way to get two cards out to get through both ice).

I had such a huge money lead (and he was drawing to find an agenda, one that he scored, and astro if I remember correctly) that I put down Red Dress. The next card on top was an Astro, which he chose to draw (he said after the game he knew I'd be able to get into R&D even though only one ice was rezzed. I ran his hand and got it on the third pull. I think he ended up with four points. He may have just been being gracious but he said i played it perfectly. We ended up having quite a lengthy discussion about both games, as they were both noteworthy...he expertly piloted a Kate parasite recursion deck and demolished me.)

One important note is that the Keyhole on my Workshop led him to triple ice R&D. I dont think I ever brought the Keyhole out.

Now of course this could just be a super lucky game for me and unlucky for him. Just that this game went exactly as i wanted it to against a player who clearly knows what he was doing. I beat another NBN fast advance deck in a similar fashion (Keyhole pressure leading to over protection of R&D allowing me to trash fast advance pieces with Imp.) I cant speak to the quality of that player but he seemed to play well.

Key oof cards: keyhole, sneakdoor, imp, femme

Looking back at my games, I can see that I made several mistakes (and there are probably more that I didn't even notice) which is why I was excited about the performance of the deck. I learned a lot about how to pilot it and I'm looking forward to practicing it more and seeing if I can replicate the results (and finding some ways to deal with RP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedman wrote:

A Professor win usually doesn't look all that different. It extremely rarely looks 'better' than a win from another particular deck and often looks worse. A particular game might look like an inefficient Katman win, or a janky Gabe win with Sneakdoor and recurring Crescentus, but the point of Professor is that the same deck can do either (and more). It's better to compare the Professor through the wider lens of an entire tournament meta imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the same deck minus a few cards would be better with Kate. Drop the morning star, mimic (you have femme fetale), and some other stuff. You can get to 15 influence and still keep almost all the "tricks" and play everything cheaper and get 1 link. Need to see another really useful high influence non-shaper program for the professor to be worth it.

Right now, all it does is say "I don't run account siphon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
Which of these cards would you say is a silver bullet?

Actually I meant the silver bullet comment in isolation, it was more a general point about the philosophy of building a Professor deck. But actually, a lot of those cards could still be construed as Silver Bullets. My understanding is that a silver bullet is a solution to a particular card or strategy that you otherwise have no answer to.

Morning Star and Faerie fairly obviously fit that description because they're optimised for certain ICE; to a lesser extent Keyhole and Sneakdoor allow you to pressure a server against certain decks and archetypes that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to pressure: i.e. Sneakdoor vs. CI and Keyhole vs. any FA deck that scores from hand. Nerve Agent is in the same category-ish, in so far as multi-access on HQ is fairly useless a lot of the time, because most good decks don't hold agendas there for long. They're not silver bullets in the traditional sense because they do have some utility outside of their main role - but a silver bullet is still a bullet, right?

Djinn and Imp are not silver bullets. Imp is probably the only card I would put into almost any deck if I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Kate doesn't synergize with Personal Workshop (which is where I install everything while I proco up) so the deck would be significantly worse with her. Morning Star alone will often save me more money than that. Taking Morning Star out would also make the deck much much worse.

To get down to 15 influence I would need to cut:

Morning Star ****
Datasucker *
Crescentus *
Djinn **
Stimhack **
Faerie ***
Mimic *

At this point, we are talking about a completely different deck. No djinn make searching harder and mem issues tougher. Stimhack is a HUGE econ card. Mimic saves me from having to pay for an early femme to get through smaller sentries. Faerie I could imagine being replace by the (much worse) sharpshooter. Crecentus is how I deal with big sentries and codegates. Datasucker I could see dumping, but it's such a good utility card when I have it out I may as well keep it in the deck. And morning star is crazy good when you see a 4+ strength barrier on a central (not exactly rare).

Kate's anti-synergy with personal workshop (a key economy card in this deck) and requiring me to take out some key cards would either require me to make massive changes to the deck (essentially making it completely different) or just make a far worse deck, as Kate's ability would not come into play much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
xenakis wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
Which of these cards would you say is a silver bullet?

Actually I meant the silver bullet comment in isolation, it was more a general point about the philosophy of building a Professor deck. But actually, a lot of those cards could still be construed as Silver Bullets. My understanding is that a silver bullet is a solution to a particular card or strategy that you otherwise have no answer to.

Morning Star and Faerie fairly obviously fit that description because they're optimised for certain ICE; to a lesser extent Keyhole and Sneakdoor allow you to pressure a server against certain decks and archetypes that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to pressure: i.e. Sneakdoor vs. CI and Keyhole vs. any FA deck that scores from hand. Nerve Agent is in the same category-ish, in so far as multi-access on HQ is fairly useless a lot of the time, because most good decks don't hold agendas there for long. They're not silver bullets in the traditional sense because they do have some utility outside of their main role - but a silver bullet is still a bullet, right?

Djinn and Imp are not silver bullets. Imp is probably the only card I would put into almost any deck if I could.

Faerie works against sentries, which are in pretty much every deck, so it isn't that specialized. I can't think of a single deck I wouldn't want Faerie in if I could have it influence free, can you?

Morning Star is definitely more specialized, but it isn't exactly uncommon to see Eli. Two runs against Eli and you've made your money back over Corroder. That doesn't count the savings against other ice like Hive, Heimdall 1.0 and 2.0 (with parasite/datasucker support of course) Wall of Thorns (which I saw quite a bit of this weekend in RP) Corroder is expensive to use, and these days it seems the only matchup I'm bringing it out in is against NBN. Not to mention that with Morning Star out, a surprise Escher can make for some VERY cheap, repeated HQ with Nerve Agent (via sneakdoor if need be) or Keyhole runs

The other cards you mentioned are staples...they come out pretty much every game, which I don't think qualifies as a silver bullet.

To me, a silver bullet is a card like Deus X or plascrete. Cards that, in most matchups, are useless, but really shine in the right matchup up. None of the cards you mentioned fit that description, which is how I understand the term "silver bullet"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the Regional go in general? Who won? Any issues with space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
I have a much more specific question: can you tell me about the decision to include 1x Infiltration? How often did you use the expose effect? Were you finding it reliably when you actually needed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Djinn is good for memory, but with 1 Djinn, how do you get it? If you search for it with a card, then you may aswell have just got the card you wanted instead. Just run 2 Leprechauns instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Djinn is good for memory, but with 1 Djinn, how do you get it? If you search for it with a card, then you may aswell have just got the card you wanted instead. Just run 2 Leprechauns instead.

Time vs Power. If you need the one card RIGHT NOW, tutor for it. If you have the extra clicks and credits, Djinn gets you IMP, Datasucker, Nerve Agent, and Parasite for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris pedersen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It would seem to me that you might see an increase in speed by adding one card: Savoir Faire, for it allows you to use your play style with personal workshop with your hand. Ie.,

Djinni your desired viruses. Imp. Nerve Agent. Medium. Crypsis. Lamprey. Have whatever other ice that might be advantageous: femme, grappling hook.

When running, you get the advantage of option execution - you install whichever ice benefits you without having to install it in advance, and of course it combines with clone chip etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.