$30.00
David Thats my name
msg tools
Hi,

I have created a fun little game called 'Phone Hacker'

It uses 80 playing pieces (single digit numbers from 0 to 9)

I have been using Scrabble style tiles with digits to play test but I now need to create the bespoke final playing pieces.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand what you need, but if you have any specific question I'll be glad to help, so, nothing to say now beside my best wishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
SebasKO wrote:
I do not understand what you need, but if you have any specific question I'll be glad to help, so, nothing to say now beside my best wishes

Opps sorry let me try and explain a bit better.

I have designed a game where up to 6 players try to hack / break their opponents codes.

The theme is based on mobile / cell phones

I want to make the playing pieces look like mobile phone number digits.

At the moment I have been using Scrabble style tiles with single digit numbers on them to play test the game but I now want to make some playing pieces that suit the theme better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Richwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
If it were me, and this was headed for production on any scale, I'd look into cardboard pieces for reasons of cost... especially with that many pieces involved in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David_thats my name wrote:
SebasKO wrote:

Opps sorry let me try and explain a bit better.

I have designed a game where up to 6 players try to hack / break their opponents codes.

The theme is based on mobile / cell phones

I want to make the playing pieces look like mobile phone number digits.

At the moment I have been using Scrabble style tiles with single digit numbers on them to play test the game but I now want to make some playing pieces that suit the theme better.

So you pull the numbers one at a time and try to get the number?

Like somebody else said, you could go with cardboard. Or possibly, plastic.

Something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
Thanks for your replies guys.

The problem with cardboard pieces is that you need to stand your 11 piece up so you can see them at all times and as each of your digits get hacked you need to display them to the other players....

Yes the phone keypad was an idea I thought of using but the ABC or letters could confuse players as they are not needed!

---------------------------------------

Here are the full game details:

Objective:
Hack your opponent's phone, before they Hack yours!

Equipment:
80 playing pieces

Setup:
1. Place 11 digits ( 012 3456 7890 ) face up so all players can see (this is the hackers number)
2. Place the rest of the pieces face down and mix them up
3. Players take 11 playing pieces each
4. Place the remaining spare pieces face up
5. Secretly arrange your 11 digits into a phone number
6. The youngest player begins the game by re-arranging the hackers number
7. Players take turns in a clockwise direction

Play:
START - All players now check if the hackers digits matches their digits if any match in the same location, they must reveal that digit in their own phone number by placing it face up!

The next player can choose to either:
A: Re-arrange the hackers number then back to START
OR
B: Pick up one spare digit (between 0 - 9) and select an opponent asking them aloud if they have that digit anywhere within their phone number?

If the answer is 'NO' then add that digit to the end of the hackers number plus replace the first digit of the hackers number back with the spare pieces then back to START

If the answer is 'YES' then ask which position (the opponent must reveal the first matching digit starting from the end of their phone number backwards) then swap that digit into the same position within the hackers number, replacing the removed digit back with the spare pieces then back to START

Losing:
When a players phone number is fully hacked they are out of the game

Winning:
The winner is the last remaining player who avoided having their phone number hacked

Rules:
When answering an opponent's question, you must tell the truth.
Standard Play - You may take notes
Advanced Play - You may NOT take any notes

2 - 6 Players / Ages 8+ / Average play time 20 minutes

A game of Tactics, Memory, Risk, Intuition plus a little bit of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David_thats my name wrote:
Thanks for your replies guys.

The problem with cardboard pieces is that you need to stand your 11 piece up so you can see them at all times and as each of your digits get hacked you need to display them to the other players....

Yes the phone keypad was an idea I thought of using but the ABC or letters could confuse players as they are not needed!

---------------------------------------

Here are the full game details:

Objective:
Hack your opponent's phone, before they Hack yours!

Equipment:
80 playing pieces

Setup:
1. Place 11 digits ( 012 3456 7890 ) face up so all players can see (this is the hackers number)
2. Place the rest of the pieces face down and mix them up
3. Players take 11 playing pieces each
4. Place the remaining spare pieces face up
5. Secretly arrange your 11 digits into a phone number
6. The youngest player begins the game by re-arranging the hackers number
7. Players take turns in a clockwise direction

Play:
START - All players now check if the hackers digits matches their digits if any match in the same location, they must reveal that digit in their own phone number by placing it face up!

The next player can choose to either:
A: Re-arrange the hackers number then back to START
OR
B: Pick up one spare digit (between 0 - 9) and select an opponent asking them aloud if they have that digit anywhere within their phone number?

If the answer is 'NO' then add that digit to the end of the hackers number plus replace the first digit of the hackers number back with the spare pieces then back to START

If the answer is 'YES' then ask which position (the opponent must reveal the first matching digit starting from the end of their phone number backwards) then swap that digit into the same position within the hackers number, replacing the removed digit back with the spare pieces then back to START

Well, I think changing your number once the game starts is unnecessary. Secondly, telling the order makes the game dull. perhaps just asking if the number occurs in the number and the guess a section (First 3, middle 4, last 4). Thirdly, how do you check numbers without revealing what your number is?

I like your premise, but there's something odd.
in regards to the letters, they are there because that's what the phone button looks like. Otherwise, there are just number tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
Hi Brian,

Hummm I think I need to improve my instructions, as they seem confusing and mis-leading at bestcry

Your point 1:
The players do not change their number after the game starts.....they choose 11 random pieces (from the 80 face down pieces) and then look at them to make their own fixed phone number...then the players stand them on the table facing them so they can see the digits but the other players can not see them......as each of their digits are hacked (guessed correctly) they lay that piece down so all the players can see it.

Your point 2:
I agree.....how about if they have that digit more than once let them choose which digit to reveal?

Your point 3:
You can see your digits all the time because they are standing up facing you (sorry this was not explained very well but thanks for bringing it to my attention

Your Point 4:
What is 'odd'?

Your point 5:
Yes I see your point here but I am not sure how to solve this one....?

Thank you
David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, let me see if i understand this.

Player have their own number - 11 digits, hidden.

in the center of the table there is a pool of numbers - hidden.
Also in the center (or possibly on a board) there is an 11 digit number.
You want to get the opponents number on the card before they get yours.

On your turn, you:
Step 1: Check number passed to see if any digits match in the right location and reveal them (or is it just one)
Step 2: actions - choose one
1) swap a number from the pool and replace that tile (all other numbers remain the same)
2) Rearrange the number on the common board (but not your own)
Step 3: Pass the board to the next person

Repeat until either:
1) You are eliminated (your number is revealed)
2) You eliminate all other players

re: odd - I'm not sure, but I think it may have been just wording confusion on my part. I don't see it anymore after your clarification.

You can also keep your number faced down. Or at least I don't think it violates any rules to avoid cheating.

So they don't need all of your numbers in one go, just all of them eventually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
On your turn, you:
Step 1: Check number passed to see if any digits match in the right location and reveal them (or is it just one) = ALL PLAYERS CHECK THE DIGITS WHEN THEY CHANGE AND REVEAL ALL THEIR DIGITS THAT MATCH.
Step 2: actions - choose one
1) swap a number from the pool and replace that tile (all other numbers remain the same) NO "Pick up one spare digit (between 0 - 9) from the pool and select any one opponent asking them aloud if they have that digit anywhere within their phone number? If the answer is 'YES' then ask which position (the opponent must reveal the first matching digit starting from the end of their phone number backwards) then swap that digit into the same position within the hackers number, replacing the removed digit back with into the pool then back to START------
If the answer is 'NO' then add that digit to the end of the hackers number plus replace the first digit of the hackers number back into the pool then back to START"

2) Rearrange the number on the common board (but not your own)YES CORRECT AND ALL PLAYERS MUST CHECK AND TURN THEIR MATCHING DIGITS
Step 3: Pass the board to the next person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
If the answer is 'NO' then add that digit to the end of the hackers number plus replace the first digit of the hackers number back into the pool then back to START

The above move is a very interesting one because it can have lots of different effects, one being that you could hack your own phone number if you are not very careful! because as the wrong digit is placed at the end of the hackers number all the number scroll along so all digits move then all players have to check the hackers number after each turn.

There are lots of interesting scenarios in this basic little game plus all players are kept engaged even when it is not their turn as they must always check their number against the hackers number.

I wish I could write the instructions a bit clearer Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
Please click on the image below to see a full game played by 3 players.

Please note: It is a basic game that only uses the 'Re-Arrange' option and NOT the 'Ask An Opponent' option but should still give an idea of how the game is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
This is how to setup the game and get started:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so this is Mastermind with numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thats my name
msg tools
Sam Houston wrote:
so this is Mastermind with numbers?

Haha...yes and no

Because mastermind only has 2 players and does not allow the players to rearrange the code during play etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.