H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Europe a bit and found I like America more since my friends and I can find the locations more easily, so I would like/intend to buy the original TTR. From what I've found, its on its 3rd edition at the moment, yet they still haven't replaced the unnecessarily small cards.

I understand they do this so they can sell the 1910 cards, but more than anything, to me, it just feels like greediness. I dislike the idea of buying 1910 just for the extra cards (the other cards like the mystery train ones are fine but not quite worth it alone), and I'm rather annoyed that they continue to print the small cards with the box, which are useless once you get the bigger cards.

Opinions? I'm on a budget and would rather not pay $46 dollars for the game + expansion (not to mention I hate carrying around expansions, or shoving them into a tight box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no easy answer to your complaints. Days of Wonder has probably kept the same manufacturing design (smaller cards) because it requires no extra set-up cost to remanufacture the way TTR has always been manufactured. Such costs are significant, and although it might seem "greedy," I think the only reason is because you presume that the larger cards are better. Maybe there are gateway gamers out there who like the smaller cards. I would agree with you that the larger cards are better, but so be it.

Your choices are:

Buy TTR + TTR: Europe, and use the Europe cards with TTR (USA);
Buy TTR + 1910, and use the 1910 cards.

I ended up getting hold of an extra TTR: Europe insert, putting it into my TTR (USA) box, putting the 1910 cards into the Europe insert, and throwing away the original TTR insert, TTR cards (small), and the 1910 box. Works great for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer TtR 1910 for game play reasons... more Dticks, Globetrotter, and how it makes Dticks a more viable strategy. I'd honestly buy they if they were also small.

That said, you really only hear about the people who prefer the larger cards on these message boards. While more people prefer the larger cards, I have run into a few who are indifferent, while the rest (not too many though) preferring the smaller cards.

For many of us, you will need to add an extra $20 for 1910, making the grand total $70 without discounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

I liked T2R Europe better than Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary. More complex game especially when the 1912 components were added; am hoping they do T2R Europe with 1912 as a 10th Anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two things I cannot precisely remember right now:

1) how many other games I own with the same sized smaller cards

2) whether I've ever seen complaints that those games are unplayable becuase of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't understand why DoW hasn't made an edition with improved train ticket sizes. They already produce them for all the other games...and new editions are meant to fix weaknesses of the previous, especially if its a gripe many players have with the original.

TVis wrote:
There are two things I cannot precisely remember right now:

1) how many other games I own with the same sized smaller cards

2) whether I've ever seen complaints that those games are unplayable becuase of it

1. Many games may have small cards, but that doesn't justify it still having the small cards going into its 10th year. Yes, it may be costly to change its production, but given all the other TTR games use the bigger cards, it shouldn't be that dramatic of a shift.

Also, just because other games do it, does not make it a good practice to maintain.

2. Its not unplayable, but many, many, many players agree that it enriches the experience. Its among the top complaints the base game gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
I just don't understand why DoW hasn't made an edition with improved train ticket sizes.

Because I don't think most people think it's a big deal. A lot of the people I know who use the 1910 cards with the original game bought 1910 because they wanted the expansion (it's an extremely good expansion) and then figured they might as well use the larger cards even when not playing with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
1. Many games may have small cards, but that doesn't justify it still having the small cards going into its 10th year.
??? Justify ??? Wow, where does that come into play? Like they have comitted some kind of moral offense? That you have some kind of standing for righteous indignation? I find this too stunning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe DoW is looking at the sales figures (I believe over 3 million copies sold) and thinking that maybe there is no problem here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a sales perspective, if they make large cards in TtR, then that would cannibalize sales of 1910. To a lesser degree, of 1912 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's what I've more or less concluded as well, that its mainly for the money they make off 1910 as well. Sad, since I had hoped they'd correct it by the tenth year.

TVis wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:
1. Many games may have small cards, but that doesn't justify it still having the small cards going into its 10th year.
??? Justify ??? Wow, where does that come into play? Like they have comitted some kind of moral offense? That you have some kind of standing for righteous indignation? I find this too stunning.

Justify doesn't always refer to moral offense. Justify: to provide or be a good reason for http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/justify
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.K. Bentley
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the smaller cards. They're more compact and easier to handle when you have a handful of cards. I wish they made the extra tickets of the 1910 Expansion in the smaller size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.