Pete Butler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a game called Abomination. It's the game of Mad Science and Bad Business. Players are competing scientists building monsters in their labs, putting those monsters to work, making money, buying parts for BETTER monsters, and so on. It's just like capitalism, if capitalism involved lots of playing God and cackling evilly at the misfortunes of your rivals.

It's an intermediate-level competitive game that requires some basic math during gameplay. The core mechanics are set collection (sort of -- you're trying to get the cards you need to build the monster you want) and bidding. There's a substantial amount of player interaction due to everybody competing for the same contracts and monster parts, but with a fairly limited number of "Take THAT!!!" cards in play; you win by building yourself up, not by smacking your opponents down.

Also, you create and draw freakish monsters. Fear the Tufted Scorperoo! Behold the Timmysaurus Rex!

Rule-wise, the game is in a fairly advanced state and has survived multiple rounds of playtesting; it's time to move on to giving it to strangers attempting to play it without me in the room. I'll be pitching it to publishers at GenCon, and really want to make sure it's the best it can be.

If you're interested, I've put the zip file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-Kobqu_5M8anc1VTVIaTdzX3c...

Print-n-play instructions are in the front of the rulebook (rulebook.pdf).

The card layouts are passable, the art is non-existent. I'm more interested in feedback on the rules/gameplay than the layout, but what the heck, if you see room for improvement that takes into account my artistic ability (namely, none whatsoever), I'll gladly listen.

(Note: I'm auto-generating the cards based off of XML files. You can suggest radical overhauls to the layouts and, if I agree they're an improvement, can implement them in a matter of minutes. )

It's a card game, so if you do actually try to print-n-play it, there will be much cutting. You'll also need poker chips for money. Monopoly money is not recommended, as this game will totally wreck it.

If you're curious but don't want to go through the hassle of cutting out all the cards, I'll listen to feedback based on a rules read and card look-over too.

If you have anything to say, good bad or otherwise, please contact me here or at my personal email account, pete@blairhippo.com.

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

-- Pete Butler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Chambers
Australia
SALISBURY NORTH
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The ten page rulebook will count against it, but you're welcome to submit it here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1209276/playtesters-seeking-... So far, no other game has, and we gotta playtest SOMETHING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey! you could also submit it here too!
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1209979/i-will-play-test-you...
It will get chosen eventually, and playtested AND promoted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.