Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really new to the board game revolution and I'm having a great time. But there is one thing that is kind of bothering me. There seems to be a HUGE amount of deck building games or variants on that theme. IE: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-MenIs this a recent phenomenon or has this been the case for a while? Like I said I've only started board gaming in the last 5 months or so. Don't get me wrong I love Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, Ascension: Rise of Vigil and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game but it just seems like every other game is another deck building game. Not really sure where I'm going with this post but it was just something on my mind I needed to express. Thank You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon in our series of threads: "Too many Worker placement games?" "Too many Zombie games?" and "Too many WW2 games?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a huge number of games with almost any popular game mechanism.

It is your job to know what kind of games you and your group like best, in both mechanics and theme, and also supported number of players, and game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the BGG Top 100.

http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=rank

That will give you an idea of the variety out there. Deck builders are certainly popular, but there are plenty of other popular genres out there. BGG gives you a great window onto your new hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are SO MANY games coming out all the time, that really there is no reason to complain about too many of one type you might not like as much coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
There are SO MANY games coming out all the time, that really there is no reason to complain about too many of one type you might not like as much coming out.

But if we did not complain then there would be 90% less activity here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think deck building is slowing down. We aren't quite as inundated with them as we were for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think there isn't enough deck builders, card games, or dice games. Heck I love every type of game out there. But I will say that deck builders are my favorite. I'm a huge fan of Wizkids Marvel Dice Masters, virtually undefeated with my Avengers build.

My second favorite has to be worker placement games. Lords of Waterdeep is fantastic. I have the expansion for it, which makes it a little more exciting in my opinion.

The tabletop gaming community has exploded in the past few years and I am very happy about it. I was totally burned out playing games online or just playing games on my console systems.

Try to play some different games like Splendor (whicdh was up for the Spiel des Jahres 2014), Lords of Waterdeep, King of Tokyo favorite of a lot of people), Red Dragon Inn, Kingsburg, Boss Monster, or Love Letter. These are some top games.

You have started out at the right time. Just take your time and read what the games are and see what your group would like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:
...Don't get me wrong I love Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, Ascension: Rise of Vigil and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game but it just seems like every other game is another deck building game...

True. There are a lot of Deckbuilding games, since it's a good game mechanism, and thus imitated. The thing is, if you already like those two games, I say keep playing them. If you think you want more Deckbuilding fun, do some research on another one that might interest you and your game group. This means read reviews, watch video reviews and play-throughs, etc.

If your comments are more along the lines of the fact that you like the gaming concept of Deckbuilding and want to try them all, I'm sad to say as a that this is the folly of many of us as we get started. Truly, you cannot play every game. You can certainly buy a lot of them, but playing them all is another thing. If you've only been into board games the last 5 months, keep playing what you like and only add a game at a time after some good research and/or playthroughs. Your wallet and your loved ones will thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anime_guru wrote:
i think there isn't enough deck builders, card games, or dice games. Heck I love every type of game out there. But I will say that deck builders are my favorite. I'm a huge fan of Wizkids Marvel Dice Masters, virtually undefeated with my Avengers build.

My second favorite has to be worker placement games. Lords of Waterdeep is fantastic. I have the expansion for it, which makes it a little more exciting in my opinion.

The tabletop gaming community has exploded in the past few years and I am very happy about it. I was totally burned out playing games online or just playing games on my console systems.

Try to play some different games like Splendor (whicdh was up for the Spiel des Jahres 2014), Lords of Waterdeep, King of Tokyo favorite of a lot of people), Red Dragon Inn, Kingsburg, Boss Monster, or Love Letter. These are some top games.

You have started out at the right time. Just take your time and read what the games are and see what your group would like to play.

I used to be like that when I first joined the hobby a couple years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
mlcarter815 wrote:
anime_guru wrote:

Optimistic, enthusiastic, and excited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
anime_guru wrote:

Optimistic, enthusiastic, and excited?

Willing to play any game and thinking there isn't any kind of game I don't enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say around 18 months before I got past the initial "everything is awesome" phase although some classics didn't click with me like they should, and I still don't get the hype that is Catan even after a second play.

For the topic on hand, I think deck builders are far from over and a game like Star Realms proves that. Direct conflict games with deck building involved has been highly ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Caro
United States
flag msg tools
...a hand to hold onto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also new to the hobby and I understand the feeling. I assume that it is cheaper (maybe easier, even?) for developers to use cards in their games and that is why there are a fair amount of card games out there. Honestly, though? I'd rather see card games any day over game boards that serve little purpose (spin and move yuk).

There are good suggestions in this thread though -- just figure out what game mechanics you enjoy most in a game, research, and you'll find more options. I do frequent tag searches on BGG for storytelling, modular boards, and worker placement because those are the types of games I'm looking to play. Even if I can't afford or find some of them because they're OOP, it's still fun to just see what's out there. Reprints happen all the time, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
anime_guru wrote:

Boss Monster is a top game?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it is in my top 20 games. I think it is fun playing the boss monster, trying to build your dungeons just to lure the hero in only to kill or be killed by him or her. I also like the fact that you can turn it into a "take that" type of game when playing against friends.

I could have gone with other games like Marvel Dice Masters, Star Trek Attack Wing or Quarriors. Heck I even like Nuns on the Run. That can be quite fun when playing with the right people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there are "too many" deck building games, but it definitely has become a kind of fashion, the lazy go-to genre for publishers that get some famous license and target the hobby market. Instead of actually making an effort to design a game, it's easier to use the same formula with little variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there can aver be "too many" of any type of game as long as somebody still wants to play them. It's actually really easy to just ignore games you're not intereested in... not like there aren't any other games around.

That being said i like the basic deck building mechanic so much that i've designed my own game (it's a fully playable, free PnP but still in developement, so if you think deckbuilders are getting old you can contribute and make this one a better deck builder!):

Lords of Grevelheim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:

That being said i like the basic deck building mechanic so much that i've designed my own game (it's a fully playable, free PnP but still in developement, so if you think deckbuilders are getting old you can contribute and make this one a better deck builder!):

Lords of Grevelheim

Oh yeah, I've been kind of following that one. Looks pretty cool. I've got so many PnP games. But this one I'll have to print up & take to my local store. Any suggestions Dennis on what the best paper is for games such as yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont understand why this would actually bother someone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
anime_guru wrote:

Boss Monster is a top game?!

I mean, if it's on top of a stack of games, sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Soon in our series of threads: "Too many Worker placement games?" "Too many Zombie games?" and "Too many WW2 games?"

But there are.. Who wouldn't like bit of originality..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
anime_guru wrote:

Oh yeah, I've been kind of following that one. Looks pretty cool. I've got so many PnP games. But this one I'll have to print up & take to my local store. Any suggestions Dennis on what the best paper is for games such as yours?

I'm clueless!
I've mostly been using some slightly higher quality paper (nothing too posh, but a bit heavier than the cheapest stuff and it's also a bit brighter, allowing the colours to look a bit more vibrant. Can't remember the name of the stuff). I sleeve all my cards on top of spare lands from MtG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I dont understand why this would actually bother someone

You never feel fad fatigue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.