F P
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, friend!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep checking the usual sites to see if anyone is preselling the Premium Set. No luck so far!
Has anyone found a website selling preorders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/retailer-promotion/

In short, AEG is allocating one copy of the Premium Set per brick & mortar store if they order at least 6 copies of the regular edition. Your store has to register through the above link to qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is information about it all over the place so I'm not sure how hard you looked. The long and the short of it is. No, you can't preorder the premium set. It's too limited. It will be available in small quantities at large conventions, and if your local store buys into doomtown they can be eligible for exactly one copy.

Other than that, you can't just order one up.

Ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To follow up - Todd Rowland of AEG has indicated if the demand for Doomtown: Reloaded in general, and Premium Set in very particular are high, then AEG is quite likely to do another production run of the premium set at somepoint down the road. But the pre-order window for B&M stores is closing (or may have closed), so if you haven't gotten your FLGS B&M to do the order 6 get 1 premium, you may be out of luck for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good luck trying to get your hands on one. I'll just be sticking to the basic set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Freund
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Perhaps this is a naive suggestion, but couldn't this have been avoided by allowing folks to reserve (i.e., pay in advance for) copies of the premium set and then arranging production to meet that demand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blunderbutt wrote:
Perhaps this is a naive suggestion, but couldn't this have been avoided by allowing folks to reserve (i.e., pay in advance for) copies of the premium set and then arranging production to meet that demand?

I don't know if it is naive but it is repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blunderbutt wrote:

From a PR standpoint, you would win over some people, but alienate others. You only have to look to the comments from people who are critical of the whole Kickstarter fad to see where this idea could be taken the wrong way.

I don't know if it would be a net positive or negative to have made the premium set something people had to order months in advance, but I don't think it would have been a guaranteed solution to the underlying issue. And it would have had the added drawback that it wouldn't have been as good a relationship building tool with the brick and mortar stores AEG are hoping will help them support the game with tournament hosting and such. Not to mention that direct ordering means a significant premium for those ordering from outside the US; who I can attest already have to pay substantially more for games even under ideal distribution conditions.

The latter problems could perhaps be addressed with some kind of direct ordering, but then having distribution through stores anyway. But that would be a significant logistical challenge to arrange. For example, if you had the stores take the orders, consumer laws here in Australia make it difficult for pre-paying for an order in a store to me made a requirement. Therefore, if you used physical stores as the ordering point, you'd be asking those stores to take the financial risk that people would back out of their orders. Whereas if AEG took the orders directly, and then tried to work out the distribution later, you run the risk of many buyers not having a store in their area being a stockist of the game and either AEG or the buyer would have to foot a substantial shipping bill. Not to mention that for places like the EU, the premium set is expensive enough to trigger import duties that the buyer would have to foot if the game were to be sent directly, further adding to the costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean lukie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know when the Brick and Mortar stores will get the orders? My store got in under the window and ordered the 6 plus the premium for me. But they haven't gotten any word as of today on when they may receive any of it? But from what I understand it will available at Gencon when I'm there next week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellindar wrote:
Does anyone know when the Brick and Mortar stores will get the orders? My store got in under the window and ordered the 6 plus the premium for me. But they haven't gotten any word as of today on when they may receive any of it? But from what I understand it will available at Gencon when I'm there next week?

September 8th is the general release date. I guess depending on where you are, stores should get their stock some time close to that date, and then hold it until release day. There will be copies available at Gencon, but that's independent of the wider release date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean lukie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
ellindar wrote:

September 8th is the general release date. I guess depending on where you are, stores should get their stock some time close to that date, and then hold it until release day. There will be copies available at Gencon, but that's independent of the wider release date.

Will there be any premium sets available at gencon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ellindar wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
ellindar wrote:

Will there be any premium sets available at gencon?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
And it would have had the added drawback that it wouldn't have been as good a relationship building tool with the brick and mortar stores AEG are hoping will help them support the game with tournament hosting and such.

The current model isn't helping B&M stores either. My FLGS owner was considering skipping the Premium set entirely. He has multiple players who want it, and was willing to buy as many core sets as it took to get enough Premium Sets for all of us - but, no matter what he does, he has to tell all but one of his players (regulars, at that; big spenders all) that they can't have it (or, more likely, that they'll have to spend their money somewhere else to get it).

Meanwhile, anyone with the means to get to GenCon can just walk in and buy as many as they want (while they last).

Way to support the retailers who move your product, AEG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did AEG confirm that you can buy as many Premium sets as you want at Gencon, because I don't recall seeing that. I'm expecting it will probably be limited to one copy per person unless someone has officially said otherwise.

And "while they last" is a pretty significant restriction too. There won't be many copies there, so the majority of people going to Gencon won't be able to get one.

The problem is that AEG doesn't have that many copies to go around. They had to order them before they knew that the game was going to be this popular so they're trying to make the best of what they have. More copies will be printed so if you want one you can wait and get it later.

There is simply no way for a small number of copies to satisfy everyone who wants one in the short term. It's not like there's a perfect solution and AEG is ignoring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:

Meanwhile, anyone with the means to get to GenCon can just walk in and buy as many as they want (while they last).

No one ever said that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
kemikos wrote:

No one ever said that.

OK, I stand corrected on that point. Sorry, evidently I had poor information. Will there be some way to prevent people from just returning to the booth multiple times? Because I know of at least a couple of people who intend to do just that...

I wasn't meaning to say that the situation was intentional; I understand the whole "have to order the stock before the game is announced" thing, I do.

In the end, I'm resigned to not getting a Premium, and since it won't disadvantage me in playing the game, that's OK. It's just frustrating that the walk-ins at the conventions (most of whom will have their exclusives up on Ebay before the end of the day) get prioritized over the retailer who's willing to buy 6*X Cores in order to get X Premiums for his players. I understand why it's done that way, but that doesn't mean I think it's a wise decision in the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:
OK, I stand corrected on that point. Sorry, evidently I had poor information. Will there be some way to prevent people from just returning to the booth multiple times? Because I know of at least a couple of people who intend to do just that...

They can try to get back in line again, but I'd be extremely shocked if there are any more Premium sets left by the time even the very first person in line could get to the front again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
kemikos wrote:

They can try to get back in line again, but I'd be extremely shocked if there are any more Premium sets left by the time even the very first person in line could get to the front again.

Me too. Its extremely unlikely that they will have enough preium sets for everyone who rushes to get in line when the doors open initially to get one, much less have enough for someone to go through the line multiple times and get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:
Will there be some way to prevent people from just returning to the booth multiple times?

The insane wait time, for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.