John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but with so many people out there doing reviews, I'm looking to see what I can add that isn't already done by so many others. My plan was to do a review and detailed component review, along with how to play the game from setup to finish.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of people talk about common mistakes players make. Or even rule corrections on games. Those would be great to see. I know I played a few games wrong for a while until I decided one day to re read the rule book and realized what I was doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
sirbeefman wrote:
Not a lot of people talk about common mistakes players make. Or even rule corrections on games. Those would be great to see. I know I played a few games wrong for a while until I decided one day to re read the rule book and realized what I was doing wrong.

How NOT To Play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ya I much rather watching a video than reading an explanation of a rules clarification. Always kind of wished someone would take common questions posted in rules forums and explained them in a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sirbeefman wrote:
asutbone wrote:

How NOT To Play?
Yeah! This ONE 'time' NAUGHT at "BandCamp", then we WERE playing Title Bout "and then?..." whereupon some Slapshot "broke out"
whistle~TRUE "Band Camp" 'storytimes' so; "U-glad-bro?"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
ya I much rather watching a video than reading an explanation of a rules clarification. Always kind of wished someone would take common questions posted in rules forums and explained them in a video.

This! You said what I wanted to say in much fewer words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be out there somewhere, but I've always kind of wanted to watch good a series of people playing games. Not necessarily a scripted show, but something with a decent production value, multiple cameras, and some good editing.

Wil Wheaton's TableTop series does this well, but I'm picturing something with a regular cast of characters rather than rotating celebrities. Like a mixture of Big Bang Theory, The Guild, and the LoadingReadyRun crew that does Magic: The Gathering videos.

Probably too much to ask though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
High quality camera work. I don't care too much about how the game works, but I really want to hear your opinion on the game. It would be nice if the opinion is not always positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
This may be out there somewhere, but I've always kind of wanted to watch good a series of people playing games. Not necessarily a scripted show, but something with a decent production value, multiple cameras, and some good editing.

Wil Wheaton's TableTop series does this well, but I'm picturing something with a regular cast of characters rather than rotating celebrities. Like a mixture of Big Bang Theory, The Guild, and the LoadingReadyRun crew that does Magic: The Gathering videos.

Do you mean like this? BoardGameGeekTv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirbeefman wrote:
monchichi wrote:

This! You said what I wanted to say in much fewer words.

what I really want to see is the inclusion of QR codes in rule books that have links to videos that demonstrate the rules that are hard to explain properly in the written rule book. I know that some war games do this as they have complex combat rules, but I think this idea should be picked up in all games out there. You just have a QR code in the margin beside the rules that cause the most confusion or are the most important to the game so that people can actually see how that rule plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Do you mean like this? BoardGameGeekTv

But good. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Davidson
United States
Bennington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently read a thread about a father & son watching a how-to video together. The kid, 5 years old, picked up the game pretty quickly.

Not all kids are that sharp, so a video series aimed at the 8-12 age group would fill a need, I think, that no one knew existed...

And I'm not talking about children's games, but family games, or even light strategy games, that an average child would be able to figure out.

Good luck!
Drew Davidson
BoardGamersAnonymous.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky blaze
msg tools
have actual noobs playing games where NO-ONE knows the rules - unedited from opening a brand new game to reading the rules, figuring it out, setting up the game and playing...and packing away

We kind of see playthroughs but they tend to be massively edited Tabletop for example is good but cuts out a LOT of the boring sh!t associated with gaming - I recall seeing a private youtube video where some guys played Arkham Horror with an expansion and the setup took almost an hour - these sort of things give a REAL portrayal of gaming - Wonder why people give up on games? Just watch peoples expressions when they get a 16 page rulebook to go through, six zillion cubes of different sizes, 200 cards with bizarre icons etc etc. of course the opposite can apply

NEVER make a video with a majority of established gameplayers - ALWAYS have a lot of NOOBS - if you cannot find noobs then your game hobby group is not open or welcoming enough

So why the emphasis on noobs? the hobby will only grow IF noobs come in - if you want your hobby to be like D&D in the 70s just exclude the noobs. Also noobs should be the ONLY people that playtest games - as they are expert at accidentally finding rule anomalies or loopholes or simply poorly explained rules - an industry weakness is that most rulebooks are quite poor and seem like they made a game got it into production but forgot that some poor soul has to read through a lot of pages - in short if a group of noobs cannot play a new game without help its poorly explained and very likely to be a niche game at best

I think the vids would be useful for established gamers as often their perception of non-gamers/casual gamers/noobs is very distorted

Maybe you could simply do one on RULES which is an area skimmed over at best and often done poorly - sort of judging the game by the comprehension of the rules...As an example I have seen a video about playing the solotaire card game Onirim...now just try to understand the rules! - I think there have been 5 flowcharts made on BGG to make the rules comprehensible. That is really poor for the hobby, having a game with poorly explained rules - again ONLY noobs can properly judge if a rulebook is clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see more videos like James Rolfe's Board James series.

Example (probably NSFW due to language) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDF9mAHSWZg

Not so much reviews but... skits I guess is the closest word. His horror movie about Mr Bucket is one of my favorite things ever. Shut Up and Sit Down does some of this as well, but I think there's enough space for videos less 'reviewy' and more entertaining in their own right. Obviously that's a lot more work though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.