John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Acquire last night; it was a five player game. Right from the start I made a major tactical error. I focused on growing the two corporations (Hydra and Quantum) that I held stock in. I quickly found my self cash depleted while my opponents were making buku bucks off the smaller corps. But by the time I realized my mistake the cost of the other corps was out of reach for me.

When I did start making cash, I was hopelessly playing catch-up. Even when corps were "re-established" I was never in a good position, cash wise, to get in on the ground floor. I was never the majority holder on any Corp and I was the minority holder only twice. I began to play as defensively as I could while driving up the value (and cost) of Hydra, the one Corp for which I held a lot of shares. I almost made it on that one, but lost by one share for the majority holder, to the winner of course.

I made up some ground but by end game I was more than 20K from first place. Yes that means I was in last place. The game feels a lot like Union Pacific (TAKE THAT Don!) in mechanics and strategy. I liked the game. But, it is the kind of game I will need to play two or three more times before I make my final decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.