Subject: New Player vs Dominion War OP2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
*EDIT*

I have now completed the event. Please check several posts down to see my result.

*EDIT*

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to Star Trek Attack Wing having only picked it up 2 weeks ago. I really like the game and currently play it with my girlfriend and local gaming group.

However I'm interested in participating in the OP events so I investigated my main venue (Firestorm Games in Cardiff), and they are running Dominion War OP2 this Tuesday.

Now this has got me excited because I like Klingons (I'm currently using the Vor'cha from the starter box and I picked up the Koraga last week), as I understand the prize for OP2 is a Klingon ship.

But the event needs a 100pt fleet so I need another ship. I've looked around and seen some ideas but I was hoping to get some up-to-date feedback on how I can deal with the current meta (Borg sound scary).

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Also any tips for the scenario itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the Ch'Tang (B'Rel class) it's quite an expensive ship on eBay.

Keep in mind I'm neither a great player or an experienced one. There are some good videos on YouTube. As I understand it, originally the meta was that the Klingon, fighting a 3 ship, pretty bare build were kind of unstoppable with all their dice and their 4 evade dice from cloak. Then the Feds got more ships and other ships were put out and the attack dice got big enough to get through the cloak to mitigate the Klingon advantage.

Then I think (before my time still) that Romulan Mines were kind of unstoppable, especially when one party had 3 or 4. This is still potentially a problem and romulan mines for attack or area denial are a very powerful tactic.

There are a couple of other meta builds out there using Conditional Surrender, Weyoun, and multiple shouds that have to be built around that can cancel 3-4 attacks which can be very powerful. The Klingon Barrage of fire is another way that Klingons can potentially one shot a decent sized opponent by combining multiple attacks to attain dice that can overwhelm defenses.

Remember, this is just what I've read about. I know how powerful the cloak can be if you take a Federation build that isn't up to the challenge personally though. Remember the Klingons are typically action poor (though one version of Martok can grant another ship an action and at least one flagship can also grant a 2nd action). Also, when they fire from cloak, they decloak and using their one action to cloak uses their only action. Advanced cloaks are a solution to this potentially. Remember also that cloaking gives you defense dice, but any hits that get through go right to the hull. AND being cloaked keeps people from locking onto you except in the round you cloak.

Ok, that's all I know, or think I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barchak
United States
Carl Junction
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion War OP 2 is pretty unfriendly to Borg. They can't outmaneuver you without getting into range of the OWPs so they're forced down the edge of the map like everyone else. I know this because we just played this scenario Saturday and the Borg players weren't happy about all the extra attacks on their floating pinatas.

This favors factions that are good at jousting usually with higher attacks or higher skilled captains and who can brush off some 4 dice normal attacks from OWPs. So the Klingons are a good choice with their cloak and normal high attack value just make sure you use some heavier ships that won't get one shot right out of space.

And remember, today is a good day to die, Qapla'!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polishhammer wrote:
Dominion War OP 2 is pretty unfriendly to Borg. They can't outmaneuver you without getting into range of the OWPs so they're forced down the edge of the map like everyone else. I know this because we just played this scenario Saturday and the Borg players weren't happy about all the extra attacks on their floating pinatas.

This favors factions that are good at jousting usually with higher attacks or higher skilled captains and who can brush off some 4 dice normal attacks from OWPs. So the Klingons are a good choice with their cloak and normal high attack value just make sure you use some heavier ships that won't get one shot right out of space.

And remember, today is a good day to die, Qapla'!!!

Dude, respect the Borg!!!!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JLBlast wrote:

But the event needs a 100pt fleet so I need another ship. I've looked around and seen some ideas but I was hoping to get some up-to-date feedback on how I can deal with the current meta (Borg sound scary).

As far as your 3rd ship, if you like Klingons, your best bet would be the Negh'var as in addition to the ship you get Martok and Gowron who are both good Klingon captains. Using those 3 ships and those two captains plus Worf is a reasonably good build for your small collection. I've seen something similar do well many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
A common tactic was to use a screening ship.

The Klingon screening ship at the time was:
Maht-H'a (starter)
Koloth (G'roth expansion)

Basically, the OWPs don't get a range 1 bonus, so they only roll 3 dice at the maht-h'a at range one and Koloth could make then reroll.

Now, you could add Kerla. Barring any extreme dice rolling, Maht-H'a/Koloth/Kerla is nearly immune to the OWPs at range 1.

Given what you have, get the Negh'var though. Martok8 is too good of a captain to not have and the negh'var is a solid ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
JLBlast wrote:

As far as your 3rd ship, if you like Klingons, your best bet would be the Negh'var as in addition to the ship you get Martok and Gowron who are both good Klingon captains. Using those 3 ships and those two captains plus Worf is a reasonably good build for your small collection. I've seen something similar do well many times.

Honestly, if you have the time, get yourself another Vor'Cha. You can find tons of them on eBay for reasonable prices (shipping time might be a problem, since your event is on tuesday). In the very least, you should look at picking one up in the future. It is by far the best ship that the Klingons have to offer. If there isn't time to gt ahold of another Vor'Cha, then I second yourmonkey06 's suggestion for the Negh'Var.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hello again everyone!

So I just completed Dominion War OP2. I want to thank everyone who replied to my original post your suggestions were very helpful, I will now give a quick rundown of how I fared.

List:

Negh'var class - 28
Martok - 5
- 33 -

K'vort class - 24
Worf - 3
N'Garen - 4
- 31 -

Vor'cha class - 26
Gowron - 4
Alexander - 3
- 33 -

Total - - 97 - -

Battle Reports
(Apologies in advance I can't remember every card used by my opponents but I'll do my best)

Battle 1

Opponent Fleet

4th Division Battleship
Gul Ducat
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver
Omet'Iklan
Breen Aide

5th Wing Patrol Ship
Khan Singh
Cheat Death
Suicide Attack

After reading guides online I decided to deploy my fleet in a tight line in one corner of the map. My opponent surprised me by deploying in the opposite corner aligning his fleet with his deployment edge.

I creep forward using 1 maneuvers cloaking and waiting for my opponent to work his way around the board. The patrol ship loses its shields to weapon platforms fire, while my fleet evades most shots. When we engage the neg'var lands some hits on the battleship, then the vor'cha is destroyed before getting a chance to do anything (Gowron Leader of the Klingon Empire dies an honorable death) and my k'vort strips the remaining shields from the battleship. The Negh'var is destroyed by weapons platform fire, this leaves me with only the k'vort captained by Worf. Can he pull it out the bag?

I anticipated my opponent's moves putting his ships behind me so I throw the K'vort into a 3 come about putting me directly behind both his ships. The battleship clips a debris field while turning taking a damage and losing his action (later my opponent would tell me he planned to use Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver) K'vort fires inflicting hull damage and the nearby weapons platform gets the kill.

The Patrol ship's maneuver has left it pointing at the board edge forcing my opponent to make an easy to predict turn. The K'vort is lined up perfectly for a shot using Worf and N'Garen for massive damage, my opponent uses cheat death only to be killed again by the weapons platform.

Win!

MVP: Weapons Platform - 3 kills!

Battle 2

Opponent Fleet

Voyager
Khan Singh
Cyrano Jones
Ablative Generator

I.R.W. Khazara
Mirok
Interphase Generator

Deployment goes closer to what I originally expected with my opponent lining his fleet up against the same board edge as me as we prepare to joust.

As usual I move 1 forward and cloak while my opponent tears towards me at speed 4, the warbird cloaks and voyager deploys it's ablative armour and generates a tribble.

I move 1 forward, my opponent moves 4 with the warbird while Voyager ducks in behind it moving towards the board edge with a gentle 1 (I see instantly he's made a mistake and Voyager has no way of escaping it's own demise). the warbird eats several shots from my fleet as well as the nearby weapons platform inflicing 2 warp core breaches (yes the deck was thoroughly shuffled), my opponent doesn't return fire choosing to remain cloaked and Voyager being out of range.

I move 1 forward, my opponent move his warbird 1 forward and then promptly drives voyager off the table edge. The warbird survives this turns shooting from my 3 ships and the weapons platform due to his interphase generator.

My opponent rolls 2 crits for his warp core breaches and explodes.

Win!

MVP: Voyager - Most points lost in a single move.

Battle 3

Opponent fleet

Borg Tactical Cube
Borg Queen
Ablative armour
Borg Assimilation Tubules
Four of Twelve
Full Assault
Borg Missile

Here it is, The Borg! The match up I was fearing the most. How would I do?

We deployed in the expected fashion for the scenario. The first turn goes in a similar way to previous with me moving 1 forward and cloaking and my opponent moving 4 forward.

Another turn of movement, no action.

New turn. I move 1 forward and prep my fleet for battle with the K'vort using N'Garen, and the other 2 ships acquiring target locks on the cube in anticipation of the upcoming turkey shoot.

The Cube moves backwards. . . what!?

My cowardly opponent in fear of my awesome firepower had decided to go back the way he came, leaving the weapons platform to shoot at me. It crits the Negh'var disabling my action bar.

Now I'm filled with Klingon Battle Rage and charge my fleet 2 forward chasing after my opponent. The Cube moves 1 forward to lose it's aux power token and then uses Four of Twelve the remove the Neg'var's target lock. The Klingons fire removing the cube's shields and inflicting 2 damage on the ablative armour. Return fire is negligible.

I move 1 forward and repair the Negh'var's damaged sensors, my opponent after much thinking decides to also move 1 forward and assimilate N'Garen. The Klingons Negh'var and Vorcha fire inflicting heavy damage including destroying the Borg Missile (crit). The Cube returns fire with full assault inflicting minor damage. Worf seizes the day and destroys the Borg cube with my last attack of the event.

Win!

MVP: K'vort - 1 Borg Tactical Cube

The Ch'tang is mine!!!

Again I want to thank everyone who advised me.

The event was really fun and everyone was super nice, I will be attending events there in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. One thing I would change in the future: Worf/N'Garen is a powerful, powerful combo. You definitely want them on whatever ship has the highest Attack rating. Otherwise I don't think I'd have changed much.

Enjoy your Ch'tang, it's a fun little ship. Everyone goes nuts over Barrage of Fire, but I think Synon and DefCon One are the real gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.