Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
I've played three solo games one one two-person game and most of the time I get wiped out before I get to the last location. My most recent solo attempt is the first time I got to the last location but I only had two marines left and they were just overwhelmed. The dice absolutely hates me and is constantly rolling zeros as well.

Any tips for a new player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Focus on positioning. You need to know where guys need to be based on their abilities. It is of the utmost importance. Losing even one or two marines early can be devastating because this is one of those games where losing a guy can easily snowball into inevitable defeat. Do not risk guys that you don't have to. Always protect your superstars but also make sure every team has at least one marine left alive, because if you lose a team you lose an entire action in your turn which can be absolutely devastating.

Try to manage the genestealer swarms before they become too big. Make sure your big hitters (like Zael from the Purple Team) are in position to wipe out problem swarms.

My winrate has reached about 85%. This game is very precise and strategic, and small mistakes can turn into huge failures down the road, so be careful about all of these factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Won in my second game.

Oftentimes the game will force you to decide on which marine to penalize due to the events and in these cases try to first sacrifice the "standard" marines (ie the ones with no special abilities in the action cards) first. In this way you always get to play an action card of each color instead of having entire colors forced out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calibre gave you the best advice, so do what he said.
The other advice I'd give is use your best actions when it is best: Let's say you used support with purple team last turn so this turn you have to use attack or move and activate. If there's only one genestealer to attack but you also don't need to move them, then you might want to give them move and activate and just not move them so that you can use your attack next turn to wipe out a big swarm. (I hope that made sense...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resist the impulse to do quick actions, take your time to really analyze the situation and optimize your move. My wins are highly correlated with how long I spent thinking about each move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I got lucky my third try. Got to the last room on my second. I thought solo was pretty hard, but four-player ate our lunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this 'win' of which you speak? laugh

(six games, no wins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first win on my third try. I think luck played a part in the event cards and the 3 random teams I drew. But I agree, planning actions is crucial and so are dice rolls. I went into the last location only down one marine. Won with only one left... It was a climactic finish to say the least! After 3 solo plays, I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First win in first game. Then two losses following that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I came back to this game after an extended pause.

I'm back to losing.
A consolation is I'm not worsening my track record significantly.

Also, I am re-learning the game and every game feels more driven by me and less by the die. It is fun! Even if at the end the die makes me lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my third game. Coincidentally I did not reveal the final location that involved destroying Brood Lords.

The best advice involves support tokens and doors. Both are worth their weight in gold. Use both as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First couple of games were solo test drives, did not finish either one. Next two were F2F. Partner just did not get the game. At all. Could not grasp the ridiculously simple rule that action cards played last turn cannot be played again this turn. It was that kind of day. Wanted to slap him upside the head.

Last two games with my 11 year-old son. We loved it. We drew very favorable Event cards with Minor Spawns, and the first game was a cakewalk Very good introduction for him. Then, we ran into a buzzsaw. Lost 2 marines in the first location. BUT, we get a Control Panel in the second location and went all out to activate it. Brutal, more marines lost, last ditch effort paid off. Son rolled to activate the panel and Game over. Another victory!

Very good experiences with a game that cost me $10.50 here on BGG marketplace. Easy, fast, fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zer0 Cool
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally won on game 3. My first two games fate hated me. On game 1 I was about ready to leave the air lock and I drew Swarm twice in a row which basically refilled the pile I was working to deplete. Second game I rolled 3 Zeros in the Teleportarium... Game 3 I had my revenge and killed the boss Gene Steelers with all 6 marines left. I picked this game up to have a quick solo / Co-op to travel with and I am not disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo with 6 marines and 3 actions is harder than 2-player with 8 marines and 4 actions. Cause, it's like you're already down a team from the start. Worse, you have no one to blame*.

*In (solo) Space Hulk, no one can hear you blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Won in my first 2 games, but got extremely lucky on both games, with which space marines I got. I had 2 groups that could remove 3 genestealers and a steady supply of support tokens so it was a breeze.

Those were abruptly followed by 3 extreme losses in 3rd room or earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
3rd try.

But have not won since. 1 win, about 20 losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the first game I played... although I'm guessing I misplayed a rule or two (maybe three). But fate made up for it with a long dry run following that initial victory.

My head has returned to it's normal size and I now savor my victories. And I sometimes manage to savor them too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Nall
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Greetings Starfighter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me 12 games. Early losses were bad strategy, then came the horrible dice rolling, ("Really Calistarius, no skulls and 2 support tokens wasted, really?!@"), and finally a string of bad Event card pulls. But it all came together one night and I strolled into the final location with 6 marines and they were "all out of bubble gum".

This game is brutal. I find that even with the best strategy wins are not gauranteed, nor should they be expected. It is however my go to game when I travel due to its small footprint. I get a lot of mileage out of it ( literally, I've played it in 7 states and 4 countries ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Genestealers move in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game. Luckely they were all lined up evenly with one of each color distributed evenly. I was also got lucky with the event draws.

But it was a very very closed call.....last action i had only Brother Zael left , engaged by 3 GS + a Brood lord.
He ends up attacking with a 4. thus winning the game.

Epic...close, but i won....yaye! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just won solo on my first go last night
Teams red, grey, and purple

Lost one purple guy early on but no other deaths
Greys "freeze" powers helped a lot

It was solo mission though and i expect it to be much much harder with 2 or more players since actions are chosen secretly instead of me knowing each and every option like in solo play. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 30 solo plays and I've won maybe 3.
The brutal difficulty is what makes the game fun for me .... "Let's see if I can beat it *this* time!!"

It seems that the marine teams you start with make a *huge* difference to your chances .... I always randomly select my marines. Keeps it exciting.

Oh and Deathwing marines seem a lot more powerful than the base game marines, although that might be just my perception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Zea
Australia
flag msg tools
Won on my third game. It was last night. First one was two player with my gf. Rest was solo. Last night I got lucky so many times. Starting with my teams. Zael and Calistarius were on a roll. After the Void lock came Teleportarium, where I entered with my full 6 marines. 2 of them already had 1 support token each. So I use 2 teams to support 2 more marines, thus ensuring that when my third team activates the control panel, at least 4 marines would survive to travel to the next location. After activating, my non supported marines did not roll zeroes and all 6 travelled to the next location.
Then 2 standard marines where slain before travelling to the last one. And fortunately this one was the one without any broodlords!
Now, with 4 marines left at the last location, I figured I would win even if my luck went downhill.
Turns out after 3 turns, 2 support tokens on the control panel and one failed control panel activation, only brother Lorenzo was still alive, with 5 or 6 aliens behind him, his last action to attempt activation of the control panel by rolling a 2,1 or a zero, and my gf pouring me some wine to celebrate whatever the result.

Tips: good luck and what Calibre said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other then a test game a week ago which i only played 2 rooms and mucked up some rules, A friend and I played a full game today and won our first game. it was on the wire, if we didn't win that turn it was unwinnable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning is NOT an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.