Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Club de Juegos SN
badge
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that player action is supposed to be simultaneous.

But what happens when somenone wants to play a debt card, regarding other players' decissions?

This is the example:

I had 4 coins and had chosen (but hadn't announced it yet to the table) to play a card paying 2 for a neighbour's resource.

Someone reveals that he's playing a debt card that will make us pay 3 coins.

If I don't want to get debt tokens, can I still change my action and, for example, discard the card for coins or build a wonder stage, so that I will have the 3 coins available for the whole payment?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mborda wrote:
I know that player action is supposed to be simultaneous.

But what happens when somenone wants to play a debt card, regarding other players' decissions?

This is the example:

I had 4 coins and had chosen (but hadn't announced it yet to the table) to play a card paying 2 for a neighbour's resource.

Someone reveals that he's playing a debt card that will make us pay 3 coins.

If I don't want to get debt tokens, can I still change my action and, for example, discard the card for coins or build a wonder stage, so that I will have the 3 coins available for the whole payment?

Thanks!
IIRC, the timing of the that part of the turn is roughly that you build something by flipping a card face up, then get to see what everyone did at the same time, and then make payments, including settling any debt. By then, it's too late to change your mind. You'll have to take debt token in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with above. You made your choice and, essentially, those coins are paid already. In our games, we usually just pitch the coins at our neighbors before flipping. Once you flip and give out money, any interactive affects are applied meaning you'd need to take on the debt (and by the same token, your neighbors get to use your money to pay the debt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
kelann08 wrote:
Agreed with above. You made your choice and, essentially, those coins are paid already. In our games, we usually just pitch the coins at our neighbors before flipping. Once you flip and give out money, any interactive affects are applied meaning you'd need to take on the debt (and by the same token, your neighbors get to use your money to pay the debt).

How can you prevent players from declaring they want to scrap their card last minute for 3 gold instead of building it when they see a debt card? Same question also to how you can prevent someone from building a stage of their wonder to get gold last minute instead of building their card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
6element
msg tools
mb
Players discard cards without flipping them. So, if player flipped the card face up - he has to build it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zuzington
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6element wrote:
Players discard cards without flipping them. So, if player flipped the card face up - he has to build it.

Plus, this all happens simultaneously. Everyone picks a card to build (or decides to discard it/build a wonder) and when all players have made that decision, the cards for that round are revealed. Thus, if anyone is building a card that requires the other players to pay, it is already too late to change your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Kerr
Australia
Kingston
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6element wrote:

Agreed, that is how our group plays. Avoids any confusion over intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.