BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New to the forum, looking for nerd games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Panco
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
So I moved form Ohio to Arizona. I don't make friends well. By that I don't mean i'm unfriendly. But when I moved I found a job and went to work. I generally am obsessed with work when at work so it aint like I make friends when there. I also work a sales job. So I work with a lot of meat heads. Not a lot of meat heads who like nerd games anyway. I'm kind of a meat head but I do like nerd games.

Anyway, in Ohio I had friends, they played a lot of nerd games. So, board games, card games, war games, strategy games, pencil and paper games, most all with a fantasy and or nerd relevance to them. D&D and such. The war games they played were pretty much the only ones that weren't necesarily nerdy. Risk and such.

So I want to get into playing a couple board or card games, unfortunately I have been out of the loop and don't know anyone anyway.

So, those are my two problems. I was hoping on this site I could help with one of these problems.

Any recommendations of nerd games? or War games? In the realm of strategy, fantasy, board... card ?

I know long post, thanks for reading, brevity was never a strong suit of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What games have you played in the past that you enjoyed? What have you played that you did not like?

I would suggest using sites like meetup.com as well as here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/92/boardgamegeek/southwes... to find local gaming groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Panco
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the site link. I will check it out immediately.

To answer your question, that's part of the problem.

See a couple of my friends were always the ones who found the new games and always organized all of us to come together to play them.

This was also at least 5-8 years ago. To be honest I remember very little in the way of titles.

So I suppose, aside from the types of games I like I have little else to offer.

In a way I am looking for a fresh starting point to launch from.

I have no problem with complex rules, I like the war or fantasy theme. I like to use my brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find people to play with and figure out what you like and what you don't. I could suggest a bunch of games for you to try, but the important part is finding people to play with.

There are games that you can play solo. Something like Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game perhaps?

Take your time to use this site. Each game has its own section and most games will have vidoes that you can watch (sometimes there are even complete play throughs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Well, Runewars(works great with up to 4 players)

Warrior Knights (plus Crown and Glory, works great with 3-5 players),

Mage Knight(Great even when playing solo -best,actually-,wouldn´t play it with more than 2,maximum of 3 because of the game´s length),

Eclipse (an expand,explore,exploit,exterminate resource-management space game,enjoyable with any number of players -up to 9 with the expansion- however, I would not play with more than 6) if you like customising your ships.

There are lots of geeky games out there, it mostly depends on what you´re looking for.

Is it player interaction? Is it minimum amount of luck? Must it be brainburning? Is it a specific theme ? Would you like it to revolve around a single character or an entire faction?

Each of the games above is very different in it´s own way, you should watch detailed video reviews and also walthrough sessions because geeky games are most likely the most expensive and you wouldn´t want to buy a game that you wouldn´t get to play.

Welcome back to the hobby, I´m pretty sure you´ll find something that fits your needs since there are many geeks out there so the demand for high quality thematic(geeky) games is very high.

Oh.. I almost forgot, I recommend you make some friends first (if you can´t convince yourself to attend to game nights), having someone to have fun with when playing should be the top priority when investing in this hobby.

Have fun (re)searching for your ¨first¨ game! You came to the right place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you drop the "nerd" thing? I don't mind being a nerd, but it's a little annoying and insulting to have someone who feels like they're kind of outside of that say it a lot.

Games are just games. You don't need to attach nerd to them.

Anyway, checking out meetup.com to find a game group in your area is good advice. There are also probably a lot of threads/geeklists about getting into gaming, so search around. It's best to get an idea of your preferences before you buy anything, though, so if you do have a game group nearby, it'd be good to try some of their games first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
violetchimaera wrote:
Could you drop the "nerd" thing? I don't mind being a nerd, but it's a little annoying and insulting to have someone who feels like they're kind of outside of that say it a lot.

Ah, the controversial N word.

This very website uses the G word in the name. This very same word could be used as an insult in a different context.

I know where you are coming from, but I think that the OP referring to themselves as a meat head should tell you that they were not being insulting with the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like being called a nerd, but it seems like the OP is using the best adjective they can think of and it doesn't bother the English major in me. (hobby, is the word you're looking for, btw. Assuming you don't want to play scrabble and monopoly.)

Just look at the top ranked games here and read about them!

I recommend every game I like.

Click on my user name over to the left there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it's a long time ago, and you likely don't remember much... A couple quick questions then, to find what you played:

Was the game about placing tiles, which had pictures forming Cities / Roads / Fields, upon which you placed little wooden people (or "meeple")? Carcassonne.

Were you playing games about trains, building a network of railroads, going from city to city? Cards would be used to place these rail systems, matching colour with the track on the board? Ticket to Ride.

Were you building a settlement on an island, rolling dice to collect resources, where a 7 would let you steal resources from other players? Often included trading things (Wood, Sheep, Bricks, Stone, Wheat) - Would have included many, MANY "Getting wood for sheep" jokes... Settlers of Catan.

Were you going into dungeons, knocking on doors, killing monsters, helping each other (or more likely helping the monsters to prevent other players from winning)? Munchkin

Were you building a network of electric power plants, with an auction mechanic to buy power plants, buying resources to power the plants, so you could extend to neighbouring cities? Power Grid.

Were you growing beans, planting fields, creating massive trades, and then harvesting for money (all done with cards)? Bohnanza.

Were you managing a farm? Growing crops, breeding animals (cows/pigs/horses/sheep), building a larger house and growing your family, all the while swearing because you had to feed each and every one of these ungrateful people? Agricola.

Hope some of that helps possibly identify things you WERE playing. To get an idea of what you should likely enjoy, read through the Recommendations forums, browse some "intro games" threads or geeklists (many, MANY geeklists on the topic of Intro Games, Lunchtime games, and Starter Games)... there's a lot of information on this site, just start sifting through it. Watch some game reviews or playthrough videos on Youtube - some series to start you off: "Drive Through Reviews" for fantastic reviews, "The Dice Tower" for massive quantity of reviews, Rodney Smith's "Watch it Played" series for how to play the games you think you might be interested in, "Rahdo Runs Through" for gameplay examples as he plays through games as 2 players...

Lastly - Drop the phrase "nerd games" - people here aren't nerds (OK, so some might be, but I'd say a good 90-95% aren't), these aren't games for nerds, this is no longer a niche hobby played by people with taped glasses, this is becoming a mainstream hobby.

Welcome back to the hobby. It's grown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
violetchimaera wrote:

Ah, the controversial N word.

This very website uses the G word in the name. This very same word could be used as an insult in a different context.

I know where you are coming from, but I think that the OP referring to themselves as a meat head should tell you that they were not being insulting with the term.

I think the issue is the questionable use of the word "nerd" games when you are on a board game site. To us these are just games. I could see if you were on a football forum asking others in the forum if they play "nerd" games as a way of keeping your meat head cred and not wanting to out yourself as a "geek". I am in no way offended by the use of the word nerd or geek, but it does seem a little uncalled for when in the context of this site. The OP could have posted the exact same post but just referred to them as "board games" as no one on this site would have started recommending Monopoly or Life.

Have to say when I first read the post I thought he was referring to games that would appeal to a smaller subset of the gaming community, possibly D&D style games.

To the OP, you should really take some time and familiarize yourself with this site and the kind of people and information that it holds. When you can articulate what it is you are really looking for better I am sure that lots of people will come forward with all kinds of suitable games. You will also get to understand how people tend to refer to different types of people in order to help people understand your situation better. For instance, if you say non-gamers people will understand that you are talking about "meat heads" and others that aren't into the hobby or if you say casual gamers we will get that you mean people that like games but are say into super deep or hardcore games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also possible he just watches the big bang theory. It's not like anyone in pop culture is going that far out of their way to make gaming seem un-nerdy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do neardy mean complex?

I haven't played them but I guess in the fantasy case both Magic Realm and Mage Knight Board Game (less so?) would be nerdy.

I assume it's nerdy enough to play things like Advanced Squad Leader which I haven't played either. Duel of Ages II have a little bit of war game in it and the game would likely look very nerdy to anyone looking at it.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is sold with some other possibly not as good games for one day more on Kickstarter, maybe that's nerdy strategy.

Maybe starting to play Android: Netrunner counts as being nerdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:

And some of us hate that this site is forever shackled with that idiotic name choice.

Quote:

Yeah, and it's still kind of insulting. So, you know, you can walk in a room and insult the residents while you ask for help, or you can, you know, not. Meant as insult or not, it's still a distancing label to use, especially as the OP did. Raising some hackles is to be expected doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to looking on Meetup for some other gamers. It's a great way of meeting new people.

Also, any of your workmates sound like they have a sense of fun and might be up for playing social board games during your lunch hour?

There are loads of great games like Coup, The Resistance, Camel Up, Love Letter, Concept (charades on a board), Say Anything, Telestrations, etc. which I'm sure non-stuck-up sales people would be able to get completely onboard. Snake Oil would be perfect for some sales types. There are also some light trading games like Bohnanza and Res Publica. A golden oldie is Pit, but your bosses might not like that one as it involves a lot of shouting.

If that works, you can always try some other fast light games like Escape: Curse of the Temple(loads of real-time dice rolling) and then gauge if any of your co-workers or their friends might be interested in a light strategy or fantasy game or two...

You may find that among those 'meatheads' in your workplace are people who have watched Game of Thrones, and would be well-up for coming around to your place to try a board game version. Game of Thrones is a chatty, social game with a tonne of backstabbing! Game of Thrones the TV show isn't exactly nerdy - it's mostly sex and politics, with only a hint of dragons.

There isn't this grand nerd-non-nerd divide out there, you know. I'm a blond UK-size-10 thirty-something financier's wife with a habit of wearing tennis skirts for the gym. I also play epic fantasy games, have roleplayed, and have a PhD in satellite altimetry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find the nearest FLGS (friendly local game store.) There might be handout notices for groups or events, or talk your situation up with the employees. As has been mentioned, you can pick a game that interests you and figure it out playing solitaire. Then you can teach it to someone else who sees it on your table and may end up correcting your mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
It's also possible he just watches the big bang theory. It's not like anyone in pop culture is going that far out of their way to make gaming seem un-nerdy

My first thought: Go and watch BBT and get all of the games you see in the episodes. There is even a Geek-list about it.

Since BBT I saw how "nerdish" I am, laught a lot about it and take it as the crown of "uebergeek-dom". One of the shows I can always watch and laugh until my stomach hurts (- and Bobblehead - Sheldon is sitting on my monitor, looking down at me a nodding in approval...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Find the nearest FLGS (friendly local game store.) There might be handout notices for groups or events, or talk your situation up with the employees. As has been mentioned, you can pick a game that interests you and figure it out playing solitaire. Then you can teach it to someone else who sees it on your table and may end up correcting your mistakes.

Try a few different meetups and game stores since you're sensitive about being perceived as 'nerdy'. If you have a bad experience at one, don't write off the hobby, try another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:

+ 1 to this suggestion - excellent one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't any nerd games here.

There are, however, board games here.

Alien Frontiers

Kemet

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

War of the Ring (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
LegendX wrote:
I don't make friends well.

As you may have guessed from some of the replies, some people here don't make friends well either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
LegendX wrote:
I don't make friends well.

As you may have guessed from some of the replies, some people here don't make friends well either!

Hmmm. Seems most people had some very helpful suggestions. That is a pretty big step towards making friends easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.